Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:My Felco secateurs, a simple and perfectly formed bit of engineering that I have been using since about 1990. Apart from a bit of worn plastic coating on the grips they are in great condition and still cut perfectly. Very occasionally I dismantle them (it?) and clean everything, sharpen the edge with emery paper, and reassemble with olive oil as lube to avoid contaminating plants.

Now I am temptaterated to post pics of beautiful woodworking tools I have, along with verbose and flowing praise for their many fine attributes and capabilities.

But you'd all get bored. :-) Still .............

Part of the plane fleet
Part of the plane fleet

Mammy plane with her snappers
Mammy plane with her snappers

Cugel

PS The ladywife has a pair o' them Felcos and does wax-lyrical about them from time to time.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cugel wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:If you're ever near me I'll let my border terrier meet you. She's often friendly, and walks off with the wrong humans occasionally. Not that I'm trying to palm her off on you!

PS you don't mind dogs that jump up at you and try to lick you around your muzzle do you? It's just a dog thing but some don't like it.

I dont as they also lick their arses

I've not seen a collie do so. But they are fastidious beasts. For example, they will not tolerate a fly landing upon their sensitive personages and see them orf with extreme prejudice.

But reading your post, I have been thinking I might do more stretching....... :-)

Cugel

Get your lower ribs taken out surgically. It'll possibly help. So I've heard... Ahem.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cugel wrote:
pwa wrote:My Felco secateurs, a simple and perfectly formed bit of engineering that I have been using since about 1990. Apart from a bit of worn plastic coating on the grips they are in great condition and still cut perfectly. Very occasionally I dismantle them (it?) and clean everything, sharpen the edge with emery paper, and reassemble with olive oil as lube to avoid contaminating plants.

Now I am temptaterated to post pics of beautiful woodworking tools I have, along with verbose and flowing praise for their many fine attributes and capabilities.

Planes-1.jpg

Planes-1-2.jpg

Cugel

PS The ladywife has a pair o' them Felcos and does wax-lyrical about them from time to time.

That's a messy workshop. Clean up after every session in there. A clean workshop is a good thing. A messy one leads to poor work I was once told
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Planes-1.jpg

Planes-1-2.jpg

Cugel

That's a messy workshop. Clean up after every session in there. A clean workshop is a good thing. A messy one leads to poor work I was once told

The shavings were so nice, fine, translucent, gossamer and otherwise purfek that I couldn't bear to throw them out into the woodburner ignition-fodder sack. The ladywife had to do it.

Cugel, a plane fetisher and fondler.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cugel wrote:

I love that sound a nice sharp plane makes.
I have been trying to think of how to render it into print.
"xik"?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cugel wrote:

I love that sound a nice sharp plane makes.
I have been trying to think of how to render it into print.
"xik"?

Schorruh. Sgrowll. Skiish.

And here's a queer wee website of plane sounds (planer-thicknesser as well as the hand planes; and saws, etc.).

https://www.pond5.com/sound-effects/1/wood-planing.html

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More pictures of woodworking tools please
Still planning to visit the wood (forest) museum and report back, but there is only a train connection every two hours
Had a good Woodwork Master at school, he negotiated the purchase of a Hafod not so far from Brechfa for a few hundred pounds (c1970), turned it into a sort of hostel for schoolkids
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Boring I know but a tail wind an a downhill. One happiest day We had a gale force tail wind all along the Black Isle to the Cromarty ferry, averaging near 30mph fully loaded. Would have been perfect but for the ferry not operating. :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Positive thread alert, Plus One!
Memories
Free books

I have a little notebook to record clever sayings, thoughts etc
People wonder who I am, journalist, police-shaped-person?
Not sure whether journalists write by hand any more, mind :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm loving all the replies :D
Think I'll put this thread in my little bag of things that make me happy :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cugel wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Planes-1.jpg

Planes-1-2.jpg

Cugel

The shavings were so nice, fine, translucent, gossamer and otherwise purfek that I couldn't bear to throw them out into the woodburner ignition-fodder sack. The ladywife had to do it.

I can understand that. Both good photos. Made me feel happy looking at the planes but I'm not a woodworker so can't understand why.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Tangled Metal wrote:I can understand that. Both good photos. Made me feel happy looking at the planes but I'm not a woodworker so can't understand why.

Planespotter?
pwa

Post by pwa »

To add to the excellent suggestion of a tail wind, I once did a 200k Audax ride from Bishop's Cleeve, Cheltenham on a very windy day. It was a big mistake. The weather person on the telly had forecast gale force winds and advised against unnecessary journeys, but Audax folk are tough and don't listen to such warnings. For the first 140k or so I had a stiff headwind where I was struggling to pedal the bike even going downhill, or a very dodgy sidewind that had me leaning the bike over and struggling to keep a line. And at each control (check point) I was just on time, with no time to spare.

Then there came that magic moment, where I came to the last section and the route turned a corner and the wind became a pure tail wind. I was cycling on the flat without pedalling. It was as if I had a motor on the bike. Maybe 60k of the easiest cycling followed and I felt very happy. Even so, I resolved not do any more Audax rides on stupidly windy days.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:To add to the excellent suggestion of a tail wind, I once did a 200k Audax ride from Bishop's Cleeve, Cheltenham on a very windy day. It was a big mistake. The weather person on the telly had forecast gale force winds and advised against unnecessary journeys, but Audax folk are tough and don't listen to such warnings. For the first 140k or so I had a stiff headwind where I was struggling to pedal the bike even going downhill, or a very dodgy sidewind that had me leaning the bike over and struggling to keep a line. And at each control (check point) I was just on time, with no time to spare.

Then there came that magic moment, where I came to the last section and the route turned a corner and the wind became a pure tail wind. I was cycling on the flat without pedalling. It was as if I had a motor on the bike. Maybe 60k of the easiest cycling followed and I felt very happy. Even so, I resolved not do any more Audax rides on stupidly windy days.

Once had a similar expeience a long time ago cycling from Kings Lynn to Lowestoft Tail wind all the way across East Anglia , got home in record time. I didnt want to stop, but the North Sea stood in the way....
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A rather wet and windy ride home years ago (during my old cycle commute days that lasted one spring into summer but ended with summer rains) I got my best time home. It worked out as a 24mph average speed without accounting for stops at lights so included time stopped. That was why miles so nothing spectacular but a long way my best.

However I'm claiming that it wasn't wind assisted because most of the way had a side wind (actually all but the sheltered sections had side winds).

However my best modern commute home was wind assisted and average speed 16. something mph over 7 miles not including stops only moving time. That's 10 years difference in time for you.

Sorry, first was a happy thing, second less so. I'll go before positivity gets reduced!