Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Spinners

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Spinners »

mercalia wrote:so Esther MvVey only got 9 and is out
Johnson got over 100
Gove only 30 odd

So it looks the Clown of no.10 will be the man . God Help Us.

OMG

Let's hope Gove withdraws and supports Hunt.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:So it looks the Clown of no.10 will be the man . God Help Us.

New projection of Britain under Boris out from the Institute for Studies post vote:

Capture.JPG
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I've just written to my MP, saying how appalled I am by her support for Johnson. I've also reminded her that Johnson doesn't care about Brexit, and that he might easily end up backing remain in a second referendum. He's a liar, after all.

It's a long list, the colleagues, supporters and lovers he has betrayed. Would you like to add your own name?

I believe she just has.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

there is some hope that The Clown wont win -

kiss.JPG

isnt he the man who messes up anything he touches or is that some one else?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's a shame, she looks so nice too. In fact, quite a looker. Not enough to make me want to buy a telly though. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mick F wrote:
That's a shame, she looks so nice too. In fact, quite a looker. Not enough to make me want to buy a telly though. :wink:

Hearing her though, is enough to make me want to sell my radio.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:

You're not looking at her inside. Outward appearances can be deceptive.

On the other hand, I have a theory that the inner workings, inclinations and other habits of a mind can express in the face ... or rather, in habitual facial expression. A simple example is that a person who is unhappy will generally have an habitual facial expression that indicates that emotion. Other more complex emotions, thoughts, attitudes and other mental states can often be discerned via the "set" of a face.

This isn't the old Victorian notion of a criminal face, which seemed to rely on objective factors such as ear size or the width between your eyes. Facial expressions are a queer mix of evolved (hard-wired) emotion-signalling gurns along with an overlay of culturally-induced signalling gurns.

For example, McVain has a certain smug set to her fizzog; a certain impatient look indicative of a generalised intolerance for this, that and the other....

Anyroadup, many supposedly attractive people look to me anything but. And it's their gurns that are the spoilers. Their makeup just can't hide them.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

They are using an interesting ballot method.
This round, less than 17 votes and you're out.
Next, less than 33, and caput.
Presumably, if necessary, the minimum will go up in future rounds.
Is this the standard Tory way, now they have dropped the cabal of party elders?
There is a horrible fascination about the process of deciding our future leader, a sort of elaborate dance towards doom.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:

I wonder how you think women reading this will feel.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mercalia wrote:there is some hope that The Clown wont win -

kiss.JPG

isnt he the man who messes up anything he touches or is that some one else?

He was the first Lord Chancellor AKA Secretary of State for Justice in the modern era who was not a qualified learned friend. The job comes with a chance to use the dressing up box but no wig. IIRC, at his first media presentation, he attempted humour about needing a wig - a canteen comedian would dub him cue ball - and one of the real big wigs quipped that the last layman to hold the job lost his head.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bovlomov wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Hearing her though, is enough to make me want to sell my radio.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:

I'm a red-blooded male.
Her looks appeal to me.

Not being sexist or disparaging to women. Just making light of a turgid boring subject that no-one in the public domain has any input to despite the fact that the "winner" will probably be our prime minister.

Considering that, I don't care who "wins" but it would be nice if the "winner" was nice to look at. What they have to say is going to be pointless anyway.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:That's a shame, she looks so nice too. In fact, quite a looker. Not enough to make me want to buy a telly though. :wink:

I'm a red-blooded male.
Her looks appeal to me.

Not being sexist or disparaging to women. Just making light of a turgid boring subject that no-one in the public domain has any input to despite the fact that the "winner" will probably be our prime minister.

Considering that, I don't care who "wins" but it would be nice if the "winner" was nice to look at. What they have to say is going to be pointless anyway.

The question I asked was "I wonder how you think women reading this will feel."

Not how you feel about it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:They are using an interesting ballot method.
This round, less than 17 votes and you're out.
Next, less than 33, and caput.
Presumably, if necessary, the minimum will go up in future rounds.
Is this the standard Tory way, now they have dropped the cabal of party elders?
There is a horrible fascination about the process of deciding our future leader, a sort of elaborate dance towards doom.

No, the minimum in the first two rounds is a new innovation this time to reduce the number of rounds needed due to the inability of MPs to coalesce around a sensible number of candidates. Previous elections under this system had 5 (2016), 4 (2005), 1 (2003) and 5 (2001) candidates.

As thirdcrank pointed out in viewtopic.php?f=15&t=130144&p=1361105#p1361105, they then go back to the standard Tory method of eliminating the least popular in each round - a process more usually known to cycle-racing fans as "devil take the hindmost".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:The question I asked was "I wonder how you think women reading this will feel."
Not how you feel about it.
I don't know. I can't answer for women everywhere. That's up to them, not you.
I do know that women are very happy to be admired.

I'm not making lewd comments or anything sexist. She's already had her photographs in the DM as I showed on the other thread. I'd no idea what she looked like before I Googled her.

Married 46 years with two grown-up daughters. :D
Mick F. Cornwall