Swapping components

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Simo72

Swapping components

Post by Simo72 »

Hi, I currently have this Giant road bike which I believe was an OCR frame, I bought it used and the chap I bought it off had built it himself , including having it powder coated, it has a full Shimano 105 set up.
My question is, I am considering getting a cheapish carbon framed bike with lesser gear on it and potentially swapping the 105 onto the carbon bike, would this be A:possible and 2:fairly straightforward ? Im fairly ok with tools and confidence but never done anything to this extent, any advice appreciated
Attachments
20190612_180031.jpg
20190612_180043.jpg
hondated

Re: Swapping components

Post by hondated »

Simo72 wrote:Hi, I currently have this Giant road bike which I believe was an OCR frame, I bought it used and the chap I bought it off had built it himself , including having it powder coated, it has a full Shimano 105 set up.
My question is, I am considering getting a cheapish carbon framed bike with lesser gear on it and potentially swapping the 105 onto the carbon bike, would this be A:possible and 2:fairly straightforward ? Im fairly ok with tools and confidence but never done anything to this extent, any advice appreciated

Cannot see there being too much of a problem. Just check out what type of bottom bracket you have as the push fit ones can be a bit awkward. Good luck.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Seat post diameter is the other obvious gotcha.

Assuming you mean frame, fork and headset new. A new one will probably have a tapered steerer and yours looks like 1 1/8 both ends.

I've never seen a front mech fit on like that either. Someone more knowledgeable will probably comment on that.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

possible variations include

- seat post diameter
- handlebar mountings
- brake type/mountings
- brake reach (for rim brakes)
- brake caliper mechanical advantage (MA)
- front derailleur mountings (the giant has a 'braze-on' mounting)
- derailleur cable routing variations
- Bottom bracket shell variations (not all shells will accept all bottom brackets or even all cranksets)
- rear hub width/type
- hub fitting (QR or through axle)
- tyre clearance/wheel size in frame

The chances of everything using identical fittings/sizes are pretty slim, so you will probably find that you have to buy a few new parts. Actually doing the work is fairly straightforward, but it will probably take you a while if you have never done it before. You will also need suitable tools eg for the bottom bracket fittings and for preparing cables.

Probably you will find you will need to buy;
- new cables (for both bikes; feeding anything other than brand new cables down housings can be tricky)
- new handlebar tape (for both bikes, unless you can swap the handlebars complete)

Also if the length of the chainstays is different between frames you may need to buy a new chain for one of them; if that chain + sprocket set is at all worn, then new sprockets as well (new chain on worn sprockets = problems).

Re the brake MA; shimano have used 'New Super SLR' (NSSLR) on nearly all newly launched groupsets since about 2008. Other manufacturers use a different lever and caliper MA, which means that you should keep the shimano calipers with the shimano STIs and likewise keep (say) SRAM calipers with SRAM levers too. Which is OK provided you can swap the calipers between frames, which you might not be able to do if (say) the brake reach is different.

So anyway you will certainly learn quite a lot by the time you have built two bikes in the manner envisaged.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simo72

Post by Simo72 »

Thanks for the replies, it does sound like it's more difficult than I first thought,as in different fittings etc, I may now save a bit more money and purchase a higher specced carbon bike and have a rather nice winter bike in the Giant
hondated

Post by hondated »

Brucey wrote:possible variations include

- seat post diameter
- handlebar mountings
- brake type/mountings
- brake reach (for rim brakes)
- brake caliper mechanical advantage (MA)
- front derailleur mountings (the giant has a 'braze-on' mounting)
- derailleur cable routing variations
- Bottom bracket shell variations (not all shells will accept all bottom brackets or even all cranksets)
- rear hub width/type
- hub fitting (QR or through axle)
- tyre clearance/wheel size in frame

The chances of everything using identical fittings/sizes are pretty slim, so you will probably find that you have to buy a few new parts. Actually doing the work is fairly straightforward, but it will probably take you a while if you have never done it before. You will also need suitable tools eg for the bottom bracket fittings and for preparing cables.

Probably you will find you will need to buy;
- new cables (for both bikes; feeding anything other than brand new cables down housings can be tricky)
- new handlebar tape (for both bikes, unless you can swap the handlebars complete)

Also if the length of the chainstays is different between frames you may need to buy a new chain for one of them; if that chain + sprocket set is at all worn, then new sprockets as well (new chain on worn sprockets = problems).

Re the brake MA; shimano have used 'New Super SLR' (NSSLR) on nearly all newly launched groupsets since about 2008. Other manufacturers use a different lever and caliper MA, which means that you should keep the shimano calipers with the shimano STIs and likewise keep (say) SRAM calipers with SRAM levers too. Which is OK provided you can swap the calipers between frames, which you might not be able to do if (say) the brake reach is different.

So anyway you will certainly learn quite a lot by the time you have built two bikes in the manner envisaged.

cheers

Yer and it might snow tomorrow !
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You could buy a decent carbon bike with mediocre components and transfer the more straightforward bits across?

Say a Boardman carbon or planet X Ribble and then put the Sora / tiagra on the giant winter bike.

Using 105 in the winter slush seems a waste?

But if it's your main means of transport at least your not putting £100 of fossil fuel in your car each month to commute!

Cheers James
Simo72

Post by Simo72 »

Jamesh wrote:You could buy a decent carbon bike with mediocre components and transfer the more straightforward bits across?

Say a Boardman carbon or planet X Ribble and then put the Sora / tiagra on the giant winter bike.

Using 105 in the winter slush seems a waste?

But if it's your main means of transport at least your not putting £100 of fossil fuel in your car each month to commute!

Cheers James

That's what I was thinking I've seen Boardman and Ribble carbon bikes for under £1000 with Tiagra and Tektro and FSA parts ,i love my running gear on the Giant , so thought it would be easy to swap them over, hopefully it's not too difficult ,
My bike is my main means of transport especially since the other half passed her test and now seems unable to catch a bus :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hondated wrote: ....Yer and it might snow tomorrow !

needless to say it is snowing, somewhere.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~