ReTyre Modular tyres and riese and muller charger

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Joebtay

ReTyre Modular tyres and riese and muller charger

Post by Joebtay »

Hello there, many thanks for allowing me to join. Wondering about experiences of using the reTyre modular tyres on riese and muller charger ebike?
Haven’t found much on it on searches so far
willcee

Re: ReTyre Modular tyres and riese and muller charger

Post by willcee »

Hi and welcome, as someone who has had a year and a few months on a couple of self build Bafangs on road orientated drop barred machines I know that I wouldn't hazard the torque that is available in a strong mid motored E bike on a couple of zipped on tyre covers.. one thing I learned from my experiences is that a heavy.. lets say 40lbs plus machine needs good rubber , wide rubber with plenty of volume , that said I haven't suffered punctures but have had snake bites on occasion so I am in the process of building 2 more machines one with 650 wheels and another which can handle 40mm with guards, 28's and 32's which I have been using just aren't up to speed, weight and our poor road surfaces.. I have covered 80 miles on the 650 machine with 35 section tyres and the ride is transformed.. fast and comfy.. the other frameset 700c size is en route and I even ventured into disc brake land on both..I'l draw the line at tubeless!! pics when I am happy with the spec.. will
Joebtay

Post by Joebtay »

Many thanks for detailed reply! Snakebites!! You are officially the coolest person I have ever communicated with online! We only get ice 2-3 weeks of each winter but would like not to slip!
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Willcee, why do you "draw the line at tubeless"? I'd have thought that you were the ideal use case:
  • Using wide tyres
  • Getting snake bite punctures
  • Heavy bike making wheel removal a bit of a chore
I've only been using tubeless for around 1k miles, but have had no issues; easy to fit, holding pressure well, and no punctures. Although I continue to carry a spare inner tube and repair tools, I like the fact that should a puncture not self repair, there's a good chance that I can fix it without removing the wheel, by applying a plug.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Joebtay
What is your main concern ice or punctures?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hemo

Post by hemo »

Joe for snakebike punctures (running tubes) then you have to make sure psi isn't low and avoid pot holes and kerbing with inadequate pressure, with low psi the tube is compressed hard against the inner central rim when you hit a the edge of a kerb, pot hole or other ridge.
willcee

Post by willcee »

I suppose there's a first.. me cool.. i very much doubt that, helpful , yes , experienced , i claim a yes, and on tubeless if you trail through my contris on here you will know why ... my snake bites were from striking a small sharpsided pothole at 20plus on a downhill on a bike 32 section lightweight tyres at 85psi front 95 rear where the overall weight was iro 250lbs... ime they are a total faff on any road bike, wait until you get a flat that you cannot fix with your gunge or plug and then struggle to get the tyre dismounted breaking whatever levers you had with you, then your phone has no signal ...that may change your mind quite quickly, should you manage to have the tyre off, then your feet and every piece of tarmac around you will be lacquered with whatever gunge was inside the tyre.. don't ask me, ask the Aussie millionaire with the 10k Trek that i assisted a couple of years since and had to revert to my workshop a few miles away to get everything shipshape again.. will