** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mike Sales »

661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Get over it :)
No we will not "get over it" as you put it!!

Haven't we had enough of this, "Yah boo we won so you lot go get stuffed?" attitude?

The debate continues. To the line and beyond.

In the many years between the referenda we did not get this unpleasant line from the Europhiles. We should have used it against the Buffoon's ludicrous stories about straight bananas and the like.

Euromyths include stories about rules banning mince-pies, prawn cocktail crisps, curved bananas and mushy peas. Others include a story that English fish and chips shops would be forced to use Latin names for their fish (Sun, 5 September 2001), quoted in that double-decker buses would be banned (The Times, 9 April 1998), that British rhubarb must be straight, and that barmaids would have to cover up their cleavage.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:You're foretelling the future too.

I can cross a motorway on foot and survive. It's just a matter of watching and waiting and biding your time.

In other words, even Mick F agrees that pledging an arbitrary time limit after which we will cross the motorway regardless (could we call it a "no biding" crashing out of the green field by the motorway?) is a very bad idea. We should hope and pray that those fools who would push the country out into the path of an obvious looming juggernaut do not become leader!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This topic has once again been locked.

Please take the time to consider not insulting each other by implication and innuendo. Or assuming what others have meant.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The topic has been pruned (again) and unlocked.

Please avoid insults, insulting insuations, etc. If the sniping & personal attacks get out of hand again, the thread will be permanently locked.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism Vorpal... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:The topic has been pruned (again) and unlocked.

Please avoid insults, insulting insuations, etc. If the sniping & personal attacks get out of hand again, the thread will be permanently locked.

So all they need do is carry on and the Leavers succeed in stopping the discussion Psamathe started? :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am happy to carry on with the post :)

No one can predict which way or what happens next.
Maybe a mass protest will hold powers that be to book for half those who could be bothered to put their cross?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Maybe a mass protest will hold powers that be to book for half those who could be bothered to put their cross?

Maybe, but which half and why would this protest work when the previous ones haven't?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am happy to carry on with the post :)

No one can predict which way or what happens next.
Maybe a mass protest will hold powers that be to book for half those who could be bothered to put their cross?

Then why would anyone vote to step into that unknown unless they were sure it were safe to do so?

Consider this analogy:-
You have a bike that you ride everyday and it does the job though you are aware of some faults with it,these faults though some serious,aren't something that can't be put right with a some expenditure(both monetary and time).
Then you're offered a new bike but the snag is you aren't allowed to see it or test ride it,until you've bought it and the deal is done and your old bike is taken from you and rendered unrideable by the seller of the new bike.

That is Brexit as remainers see it,it also seems to remainers that leavers will do anything for an unseen new bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
Consider this analogy:-
You have a bike that you ride everyday and it does the job though you are aware of some faults with it,these faults though some serious,aren't something that can't be put right with a some expenditure(both monetary and time).
Then you're offered a new bike but the snag is you aren't allowed to see it or test ride it,until you've bought it and the deal is done and your old bike is taken from you and rendered unrideable by the seller of the new bike.

That is Brexit as remainers see it,it also seems to remainers that leavers will do anything for an unseen new bike.

Sounds like half (posters not political) the posters on here, I haven't bought a new bike in over twenty years......have you :wink:

For the last twenty years I haven't been able to afford to.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:The topic has been pruned (again) and unlocked.

I hope not. I don't often contribute to the thread or even read it but it is hard to imagine this topic not being discussed on a cycling forum such as this one - cycling, whether we like it or not, exists in a political environment. And we haven't even started to discuss (AFAIK) what will happen to orders from our favourite suppliers in Germany and Sweden for example (Hilleberg tents get a ten per cent price hike?).

So a big thanks to the volunteer, unpaid moderators for keeping the thread going and a plea to everyone to keep it civilised. :)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:For the last twenty years I haven't been able to afford to.

When Boris gets in and I get my tax cut I'll be thinking of you.

Turkeys voting! What a time to be alive...
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

horizon wrote:So a big thanks to the volunteer, unpaid moderators for keeping the thread going and a plea to everyone to keep it civilised. :)

Absolutely.

And a suggestion that if there are to be suspensions or bans, they would be better aimed at individuals than threads.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
horizon wrote:So a big thanks to the volunteer, unpaid moderators for keeping the thread going and a plea to everyone to keep it civilised. :)

Absolutely.

And a suggestion that if there are to be suspensions or bans, they would be better aimed at individuals than threads.

Pot and kettle :mrgreen:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Absolutely.

Pot and kettle :mrgreen:

If the moderators agree with your assessment, then absolutely, yes