Online newspapers are increasingly centred around opinion pieces, discuss.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Online newspapers are increasingly centred around opinion pieces, discuss.

Post by Tangled Metal »

Perhaps it's a case of having newspapers' online presence being filtered down to opinion articles but it seems to me that there is more prominence to opinion articles than news.

My filtering could be from google/bing news or from forums posting them more than news articles. Whatever the cause my awareness of news is being altered. Perhaps it's more filtering from forums, but what affect is opinion articles having? Is there ever going to be the case that we get our news from opinion articles? That worries me. We could all end up in our own little echo Chambers of like minded thought.

Anyway, this is my bored Friday musings when all I want to do is leave work for the weekend. Please ignore or reply as you seem fit.
Tangled Metal

Re: Online newspapers are increasingly centred around opinion pieces, discuss.

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a guy from Scotland who's converted his subreddit to a commercial website where people post a point of view and invites others to change their mind.

It was set up originally on reddit by a guy 17 years old who thought there must be more than his small town and the views held that may or may not be the same. His intention is that there is a place to allow open discussion and changing of minds without echo chamber or groupthink that often happens online. The original poster is supposed to n honestly engage with the discussion and even change their minds.

Basically he's trying to create a less toxic and honest space for online discussion. It'll fail I reckon. Internet is too toxic in the end.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Where are all the forum topics about news or real facts?

it seems to me that there is more prominence to opinion posts, than news or items of real use to cyclists.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

True but I'm kind of thinking that most people have contact with newspaper sites through social media posts. Most of them seem to be opinion pieces. So could newspapers see that they get more visits to opinion pages so put more online. End result less news and more echo chamber opinion pieces aimed at target audience.

At what point will news die?
horizon

Post by horizon »

mattheus wrote:Where are all the forum topics about news or real facts?

it seems to me that there is more prominence to opinion posts, than news or items of real use to cyclists.

Some of the criticism levelled against my esteemed fellow forum member Brucey (or should that be "My Honourable Friend"? ) is that his views are simply opinions (albeit based on experience) and are therefore very much open to contention. But it is precisely that opinion that is required: we have the facts, now what do we make of them? One hopes that journalists and correspondents do actually do their research but it is their conclusions thereof which are the valuable bit, in my opinion :mrgreen: .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:[...] but what affect is opinion articles having?

Spelling and grammar is getting worse ;)

Tangled Metal wrote:Anyway, this is my bored Friday musings when all I want to do is leave work for the weekend. Please ignore or reply as you seem fit.

It's just your opinion. I've got some more servers to upgrade if you've finished your work. No more money, though! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you want help... But it'll be you're reputation ruined if you take me up on the offer. I'm no ICT techie. Used to play around with Windows NT years ago helping it manager at work.

I like to include a few grammar and spelling mistakes in my posts. It makes me feel better to give people something to find. Not everything is found if course. I reckon even you've missed a few. :wink:

Honest indjun! :D