Jokes about murder.

thirdcrank

Re: Jokes about murder.

Post by thirdcrank »

On the comedian theme. Let's imagine that this joke had been made by the late Bernard Manning. It wouldn't have changed the underlying nastiness, but nobody would have accused him of hypocrisy, but of being his own unpleasant self.
Cyril Haearn

Re: 'Jokes' about murder.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The slebs should raid the clean joke thread on here

The cops should visit anyone who makes 'jokes' about murder, violence etc and put the fear of God into them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48640411

(I see the BBC has this in the entertainment/arts section of its website)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say

Colour me unsurprised.

I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

kwackers wrote:

Colour me unsurprised.

I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?
Somewhat different i'll be bound ....... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

landsurfer wrote:I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?

To be fair Farage is a better comedian than Brand can ever be.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

kwackers wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?

To be fair Farage is a better comedian than Brand can ever be.

+ 1 .... possibly for not the same reasons as you ... but still +1 ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Re: 'Jokes' about murder/violence

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Trouble is, although many don't take jokes about violence seriously, or really laugh at them, but someone might do what such 'comedians' seem to be suggesting

I think such 'jokes' should be prohibited by law just like racist jokes are
Anyone agree?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Trouble is, although many don't take jokes about violence seriously, or really laugh at them, but someone might do what such 'comedians' seem to be suggesting

Anyone agree?

AFAIK racist jokes aren't illegal.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Colour me unsurprised.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?

As it would have been if another politician had made the comment about Farage.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Trouble is, although many don't take jokes about violence seriously, or really laugh at them, but someone might do what such 'comedians' seem to be suggesting

Anyone agree?

AFAIK racist jokes aren't illegal.

Not tolerated? A few decades ago 'jokes' were made that would not be tolerated now, doubtless some 'comedians' got into trouble
harmless favourite by Bob Monkhouse:
'When I was a lad I told people I wanted to be a comedian, they laughed at me. They are not laughing now' :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwackers wrote: ... I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I for one think the police have better things to do with their time - like discouraging drivers from killing and injuring people - but I fancy JB's ... er ... target audience, would have got very uptight if somebody not on their approved list had come out with it.

Anyway, it's reported she's apologised and I'm happy to believe it's sincere, rather than just a damage limitation exercise. We'll know that from her future comments in front of an audience of supporters.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Not tolerated? A few decades ago 'jokes' were made that would not be tolerated now, doubtless some 'comedians' got into trouble

"Less tolerated" might be a better phrase.

As I said up thread, she should have kept it back for her stage show, ime of such shows almost anything goes - although if you're at such a show you presumably know what you're going to get.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Re JB:

thirdcrank wrote:Anyway, it's reported she's apologised and I'm happy to believe it's sincere, rather than just a damage limitation exercise.

Me too. I wanted and expected her to apologise for a clumsy ill-considered joke and she has done just that, and I don't think anyone would think of her as someone who would condone attacks on politicians, not even politicians one doesn't approve of. I have made ill-considered bad taste jokes in the past and wished I could reel them back in almost as soon as I said them. That is where this joke came from. For me her apology and regret bring the story to a close.
cbman65

Post by cbman65 »

pete75 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
kwackers wrote:Colour me unsurprised.

As it would have been if another politician had made the comment about Farage.

Of course if someone Farage approved of had said this, his response would have been something along the line of ...it's just banter, hasn't anyone on the left got a sense of humour, it's political correctness gone mad...