Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:
kwackers wrote:
landsurfer wrote:AAHHH ... Project Fear is alive and well, ignoring the previous failure of it's attempts to predict the future ...... "We're all doomed" they cried .. except we weren't !!

Methinks you might be exaggerating but out of interest how's project: "it's all going to be rosy" coming along?

Obviously in both cases we've yet to leave and leavers do have the majority of economists on their side - except they don't; but they do have Farrage, Johnston and that guy that moved his vacuum cleaner factory out of the UK when we didn't join the Euro telling them how great it's going to be.

The really worrying thing is ..... there is probably a huge number of people desperately hoping that leaving will be a massive disaster ... just so they can say "told you so" ..... and who will be eaten up with anger and angst if its a success ..... which is sad .. :(

And they'll be many eaten up with anger and angst if it's a failure. What's more they'll be the ones responsible.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:The really worrying thing is ..... there is probably a huge number of people desperately hoping that leaving will be a massive disaster ... just so they can say "told you so" ..... and who will be eaten up with anger and angst if its a success ..... which is sad .. :(

It depends how success is defined. My view is that nothing good can ever come from such dishonesty. Even if the country doesn't disintegrate as predicted, the whole episode will still have been hugely damaging - not least because it will be a demonstration that liars prosper. Why would any politician ever be honest again?

On those grounds, it can only be a massive disaster.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

landsurfer wrote:....and who will be eaten up with anger and angst if its a success .....
Don't get me wrong. I will be eaten up with anger and angst if Brex**it actually happens - whether it's a success or a disaster. So - I suspect - will many others. Our only objective, thereafter, would be to get that iniquitous decision reversed. If others think we're motivated purely by angst, so be it. I may feel angst, but my motive is commonsense...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In other news, the Daily Torygraph has this:

Revealed: Secret Tory plan for members to crown Boris Johnson as new leader unopposed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

So that's why he's had the sheepshearers to his mophead. I thought he was considering his image in a Churchillian bowler - note to POTUS, that's a derby hat - but he's concerned about how he'll look in the Crown Jewels.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

After Theresa's investiture that would be a disaster. What are they thinking?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Revealed: Secret Tory plan for members to crown Boris Johnson as new leader unopposed
...but he's concerned about how he'll look in the Crown Jewels.
Good idea. Couldn't they just plonk the Koh-i-Noor, suitably mounted, on the Bojo thatch?

Note for the uninitiated: the Koh-i-Noor diamond is reputed to carry a curse - not surprisingly since both India and Pakistan still demand its return, claiming it was stolen from them. It will bring ill fortune - possibly even death - to any man who wears it. Since the 19th century it has only ever been worn by a woman...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

kwackers wrote:........................................................ The best thing that can come of it in my opinion is the disintegration of the two main parties.

But what'll replace them?
Look at the right wing parties so far, from Hitler to the gang that murdered Jo Cox.

I'm not opposed to your views kwackers, but I really fear for the lives and futures of today's younger generation - I see Brexit as merely a symptom of a deep and ingrained sickness within the thoughtless rich and privileged, and the newspapers that thrive from them, and support them, and persuade those who've never been taught any better to support them.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

661-Pete wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Revealed: Secret Tory plan for members to crown Boris Johnson as new leader unopposed
...but he's concerned about how he'll look in the Crown Jewels.
Good idea. Couldn't they just plonk the Koh-i-Noor, suitably mounted, on the Bojo thatch?

Note for the uninitiated: the Koh-i-Noor diamond is reputed to carry a curse - not surprisingly since both India and Pakistan still demand its return, claiming it was stolen from them. It will bring ill fortune - possibly even death - to any man who wears it. Since the 19th century it has only ever been worn by a woman...

Hey - careful Pete - remember the stick that Jo Brand is getting.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
kwackers wrote:
landsurfer wrote:AAHHH ... Project Fear is alive and well, ignoring the previous failure of it's attempts to predict the future ...... "We're all doomed" they cried .. except we weren't !!

Methinks you might be exaggerating but out of interest how's project: "it's all going to be rosy" coming along?

Obviously in both cases we've yet to leave and leavers do have the majority of economists on their side - except they don't; but they do have Farrage, Johnston and that guy that moved his vacuum cleaner factory out of the UK when we didn't join the Euro telling them how great it's going to be.

The really worrying thing is ..... there is probably a huge number of people desperately hoping that leaving will be a massive disaster ... just so they can say "told you so" ..... and who will be eaten up with anger and angst if its a success ..... which is sad .. :(

You may well be right! Myself, I will be more than happy to eat any number of humble pies should Brexit result in a sunlit upland where there are, for example, no cars and everyone loves their neighbour. I really would. (Humble pie - Mmmmmm)!

Still, if it's a matter of gambling (which it is) I'd prefer not to (gamble, I mean). If I'm forced to, as we all have been by dafties of various kinds voting like Turkeys, I would bet on Brexit resulting a a plain of woe rather than a sunlit upland.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

thirdcrank wrote:In other news, the Daily Torygraph has this:

Revealed: Secret Tory plan for members to crown Boris Johnson as new leader unopposed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

So that's why he's had the sheepshearers to his mophead. I thought he was considering his image in a Churchillian bowler - note to POTUS, that's a derby hat - but he's concerned about how he'll look in the Crown Jewels.

Myself, I feel that haircut is a copy of the Stealin' Yatterbox Lummox look. BoJo definitely has moved in the direction of the Tommy-rotters since Brexit. Of course, he was the posh version of a footie hooligan for years, aka "a hooray henry". The Bullingdon Club restaurant-smashing was but one of his egregious behaviours when a young bull still in bully-school.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cugel wrote:....................I will be more than happy to eat any number of humble pies should Brexit result in a sunlit upland where there are, for example, no cars and everyone loves their neighbour. I really would. (Humble pie - Mmmmmm)!

Still, if it's a matter of gambling (which it is) I'd prefer not to (gamble, I mean). If I'm forced to, as we all have been by dafties of various kinds voting like Turkeys, I would bet on Brexit resulting a a plain of woe rather than a sunlit upland.

Cugel

Cugel - there have been several posts on this thread that I've felt that I identify with - and yours is one of them. I identify with your sentiments, and your pragmatic subsequent analysis. Well posted!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:No, I was thinking about Rachel Johnson. I find her insights informative. Why might I be joking about that, or thinking about someone completely different?

She'd get Mick f's vote that's for sure.

MickF willmvote for anything in a skirt,after all he voted for Anne Widecombe :shock: :shock: :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

JohnW wrote:
kwackers wrote:........................................................ The best thing that can come of it in my opinion is the disintegration of the two main parties.

But what'll replace them?
Look at the right wing parties so far, from Hitler to the gang that murdered Jo Cox.

I'm not opposed to your views kwackers, but I really fear for the lives and futures of today's younger generation - I see Brexit as merely a symptom of a deep and ingrained sickness within the thoughtless rich and privileged, and the newspapers that thrive from them, and support them, and persuade those who've never been taught any better to support them.

I think the two party system we currently have is responsible for the mess.
Most minority parties gain a larger percentage of the votes than the percentage of the MP's that represent them, that's not right (and I include the far right parties in this as well as the more left wing parties)

What will replace them will be coalitions, no more swing left, swing right and a bit more give and take.

Slightly bizarrely despite the binary vote on brexit the parliamentary impasse is precisely because MP's have to represent their electorate not all of whom support brexit. Parliament is merely a microcosm of the UK electorate along with a loud minority trying to force the majorities hand.

Ultimately though I think the current system is broken, I was disappointed that we threw away any chance of proportional representation. We fell for the nonsense back then and won't be given another chance.
Without that chance I relish the breakdown of the two party system as a way of forcing the hand of electoral reform.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:]

I hope it is a success for the sake of the country as a whole and that I and just less than half those who voted got it totally wrong.But going off the arguments for brexit both on here and elsewhere I very much doubt it .
But if it isn't Brexit voters will never hear the last of it
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:Ultimately though I think the current system is broken, I was disappointed that we threw away any chance of proportional representation. We fell for the nonsense back then and won't be given another chance.
Without that chance I relish the breakdown of the two party system as a way of forcing the hand of electoral reform.

I think you're right PR one way or another is the only fair system of government in a modern democracy.
W H Auden