** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:Almost makes me into a Brexit-eer :twisted:

Anger over £440,000 'golden goodbye' payments to EU top dogs Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk when they stand down later this year

Jacob Rees-Mogg said: 'It seems odd to have 'golden goodbyes' for people in a fixed-term job. It is another example of EU extravagance paid for in part by the British taxpayer. It's even more reason not to hand over the £39billion willy-nilly.'

Last night a European Commission spokesman said: 'The objective [of the payments] is to ensure a certain level of financial security until their next paid employment.'

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AACQmLX?m=en-gb

seems like they get £24,000-a-month basic salary at the moment :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No one will disagree with your post for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
Consider this analogy:-
You have a bike that you ride everyday and it does the job though you are aware of some faults with it,these faults though some serious,aren't something that can't be put right with a some expenditure(both monetary and time).
Then you're offered a new bike but the snag is you aren't allowed to see it or test ride it,until you've bought it and the deal is done and your old bike is taken from you and rendered unrideable by the seller of the new bike.

That is Brexit as remainers see it,it also seems to remainers that leavers will do anything for an unseen new bike.

Sounds like half (posters not political) the posters on here, I haven't bought a new bike in over twenty years......have you :wink:

For the last twenty years I haven't been able to afford to.

And there was I thinking you could listen to a reasonable argument :?
PS,In the past twenty years I bought six new or nearly new bike that I can think of,but I did get to inspect and test ride them first though :D

To be fair and honest, I have not ben able to afford a bike for about twenty years because I invested in my own business rather than carry on blowing money on toys.
But for a few years now I have been offered a new bike two years running by my long suffering partner :)
I declined because I have several bikes and two three even quality machines, a new bike would do nothing for my wellbeing, I am happy with what I have.
I have so many spares and a lot of quality stuff too that I will never need to buy anymore parts for the rest of my life, save maybe a few chains and spokes.
I never road tested any of my bikes including half a dozen new motorcycles, but I am a very picky buyer, also back then a bike appeared and would go very quickly from the shop, as shops back then were small at least where I live.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

To continue on the bike analogy, in my opinion the EU is a poor quality bike that has never fitted us and is long overdue for the scrap heap.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bowedw wrote:To continue on the bike analogy, in my opinion the EU is a poor quality bike that has never fitted us and is long overdue for the scrap heap.

Cue Monty Pythons "What have the Romans ever done for us" sketch.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:No one will disagree with your post for sure.

Why post that after several have already disagreed with it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
broadway

Post by broadway »

Bowedw wrote:To continue on the bike analogy, in my opinion the EU is a poor quality bike that has never fitted us and is long overdue for the scrap heap.

And to fix it we've decided to replace it one with no wheels.
mjr

Post by mjr »

broadway wrote:

And to fix it we've decided to replace it one with no wheels.

But we will develop alternative technological measures that will replace wheels and we're really really sure they'll be ready before the tour and it's just mean of the regulators to refuse to rule that it'll be roadworthy right now!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You would need to quantify that statement for it to mean anything.
Beware though Brexit arguments so far haven't stood up to scrutiny,that said I'm always willing to listen to a good sound agrument against remaining.
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Jun 2019, 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

"You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

Look after things and they will last a long time.
Sadly not a modern philosophy.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

To be fair and honest, I have not ben able to afford a bike for about twenty years because I invested in my own business rather than carry on blowing money on toys.
But for a few years now I have been offered a new bike two years running by my long suffering partner :)
I declined because I have several bikes and two three even quality machines, a new bike would do nothing for my wellbeing, I am happy with what I have.
I have so many spares and a lot of quality stuff too that I will never need to buy anymore parts for the rest of my life, save maybe a few chains and spokes.
I never road tested any of my bikes including half a dozen new motorcycles, but I am a very picky buyer, also back then a bike appeared and would go very quickly from the shop, as shops back then were small at least where I live.

That seems to indicate that you're happy with what you've got,which is how I feel about staying in the EU,I'm happy but it needs some tinkering with to get it as good as it can be,whereas starting from scratch ie;looking around the many bike shops for something better,only to find that anything as good as I've got I can't afford and what's available in my price range is not as good as what I already have.
As a foot note to that.
On the varied terrain that's available to cycle on,to enjoy cycling best,the bike needs to be as versatile as possible and I believe the EU bicycle offers the best versatility in that varied terrain.
You OTOH seem to be willing to throw caution to the wind and jump on a bike untested,unseen and recommended by liars and shysters!
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Jun 2019, 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:Jacob Rees-Mogg said: 'It seems odd to have 'golden goodbyes' for people in a fixed-term job. It is another example of EU extravagance paid for in part by the British taxpayer. It's even more reason not to hand over the £39billion willy-nilly.'

The man's a hypocrite. He's in a fixed term job with a golden goodbye fully paid by for by the British taxpayer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:Jacob Rees-Mogg said: 'It seems odd to have 'golden goodbyes' for people in a fixed-term job. It is another example of EU extravagance paid for in part by the British taxpayer. It's even more reason not to hand over the £39billion willy-nilly.'

The man's a hypocrite. He's in a fixed term job with a golden goodbye fully paid by for by the British taxpayer.

So have the all state employed :twisted:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:

Most of which have paid into it all their working lives as well a paying N.I.
You seem to begrudge people for looking after themselves,most of whom have in the past been due to good trade union negotiation on behave of their members.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pete75 wrote:

Eh? How do you work that one out?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:The man's a hypocrite. He's in a fixed term job with a golden goodbye fully paid by for by the British taxpayer.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So have the all state employed :twisted:
As an ex-state employee, I have something to say about it.

The defence budget is not just for hardware ships and tanks etc but for all the pay and allowances as well as pensions. From what I remember, it's about 10% of the whole defence budget.

The "golden goodbye" is part of the pension system. You can have a bigger one by forfeiting some of your annual pension until it's paid off. Also, servicemen and women pay income tax too.

No doubt ex MPs have something like this, but we had to serve a minimum of 22years to get any pension.
Mick F. Cornwall