Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:MickF willmvote for anything in a skirt,after all he voted for Anne Widecombe :shock: :shock: :shock:
Really? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:I think you're right PR one way or another is the only fair system of government in a modern democracy.

+1 ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think you're right PR one way or another is the only fair system of government in a modern democracy.

+1 ..[/quote]

We had a referendum on that question and PR lost.
Does that mean it is settled for once and all?
NO polled more than twice as many votes as YES.
What pejorative nickname shall we give to the sore losers who can't accept the democratic result?
I voted YES, and I would like another two referenda, if that is what it takes.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661- Pete
I think even Mick wouldn't vote for him :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Johnson is being paid £275,000 p.a. by the Barclay brothers, who also promote his leadership campaign in the Daily Telegraph. They live on Brechou in the Channel Islands, no doubt because they like the scenery.
When Johnson is P.M. he will make decisions about pursuing tax avoiders. There may be other ways in which he can repay the twins' generosity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:Johnson is being paid £275,000 p.a. by the Barclay brothers, who also promote his leadership campaign in the Daily Telegraph. They live on Brechou in the Channel Islands, no doubt because they like the scenery.
When Johnson is P.M. he will make decisions about pursuing tax avoiders. There may be other ways in which he can repay the twins' generosity.

I hope NA reads this post :roll: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote:Johnson is being paid £275,000 p.a. by the Barclay brothers, who also promote his leadership campaign in the Daily Telegraph. They live on Brechou in the Channel Islands, no doubt because they like the scenery.
It's "Brecqhou" (yes I had to look it up!). But I doubt very much whether they bought it for the scenery - at least not according to this article... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:661- Pete
I think even Mick wouldn't vote for him :shock:
Yep.
Spot on! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brecquou adjoins Sark and the Brothers own and control a lot of stuff on Sark much to the disgust of many Islanders. Its about time all these slightly off mainland places and BOTs had their tax regulations nornalised. Its partly tax avoider pressure and the unwelcome prospect of the British taxpayer having to support these places financially that enables them to survive as tax havens. Presumably there would be one hell of a legal battle to address the problem with the prospect of all the avoiders then heading for Panama etc outside British jurisdiction.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote:Brecquou adjoins Sark and the Brothers own and control a lot of stuff on Sark much to the disgust of many Islanders. Its about time all these slightly off mainland places and BOTs had their tax regulations nornalised. Its partly tax avoider pressure and the unwelcome prospect of the British taxpayer having to support these places financially that enables them to survive as tax havens. Presumably there would be one hell of a legal battle to address the problem with the prospect of all the avoiders then heading for Panama etc outside British jurisdiction.

Al

Perhaps we should make British residence a condition of newspaper ownership. It would reduce their capacity to influence our law on tax havens. There is much dodgy money hidden away in places like Brecqhou. I think I got the name right this time.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

For me "Sark" conjures up the image of Mervyn Peake's droll novel Mr Pye (and the 1980s Channel 4 serialisation, starring Derek Jacobi). A gentler portrayal of the CI, nothing about tax havens or billionaire exiles, back then!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mike Sales wrote:.............................Perhaps we should make British residence a condition of newspaper ownership. It would reduce their capacity to influence our law on tax havens. There is much dodgy money hidden away in places like Brecqhou. I think I got the name right this time.

Another example of good thinking..............British citizenship and British nationality.
PH

Post by PH »

With all three of my horses out of the running, I thought I might have a quid on Chuka. He's been in the same party of nearly a week so must be about ready for another and I'm sure there's a way for him to get on the ballot.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

PH wrote:With all three of my horses out of the running, I thought I might have a quid on Chuka. He's been in the same party of nearly a week so must be about ready for another and I'm sure there's a way for him to get on the ballot.

You could do worse!
I see Ken Clark and Dominic Grieve have stated they will attempt to bring down the Govt if Boris wins and tries to circumvent the House.
It is just such a mess.
And all for what?
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Ken Clark and Chris Tarrant share the same larynx, only difference being that Clark displays an IQ only 15 points above a chicken when he talks. He would make a first rate leader for the LIb dems though.
Even though Boris is the grass roots pitchfork holders choice who might do a Cromwell on parliament - I can't see him being focused enough to win. Does it really matter which Tory wins anyway? I enjoyed reading Rory Stewart's book "The Marches A Borderland". Pity he lacks the voice to be a convincing politician.