Father calls for cycle ban(after son's death)

thirdcrank

Father calls for cycle ban(after son's death)

Post by thirdcrank »

Father calls for cycle ban on Bournemouth Spur Road after son's death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... ting-story

To be fair to Rob Barron, father of the deceased cyclist Christopher Gibbs, the BBC's headine doesn't explain what he actually said.

A lot of issues here, and a grieving family.

Bearing in mind that the fatal crash was a hit-and-run, with the defendant receiving a non-custodial sentence, Mr Barron has shown remarkable forgiveness towards his son's killer
https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/ ... g-hearing/
mattsccm

Re: Father calls for cycle ban(after son's death)

Post by mattsccm »

Silly. Why ban something dangerous because its killed someone? It wasn't the road that killed it was the driver. Cycling on that road isn't mandatory, it can be avoided.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It seems the tragedy is that a hit and run driver gets off so lightly,which it proves once again might is right in topsy turvy UK where might is right,and drivers get a slapped wrist for killing people going abot their lawful business.
As for riding on such a road,with the standard of UK driving,I for one wouldn't risk it,banning cycling on such roads is to be considered but not without providing worthwhile cycling cycling infrastucture.
I suspect the council won't build cyclepaths either side of it is because they're too strapped for cash,and begs the question,how much does austerity really cost?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote:Silly.

It’s a grieving fathers reaction to the loss of his son. Your crass lack of understanding is the only silly thing on this thread, and that’s putting it mildly.
gaz

Post by gaz »

reohn2 wrote:It seems the tragedy is that a hit and run driver gets off so lightly,which it proves once again might is right in topsy turvy UK where might is right,and drivers get a slapped wrist for killing people going abot their lawful business.

"Hit and run" as a cyclist, 16 months. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-48637318

No problem with that sentence but without knowing the detail of either case the apparent inequity is staggering.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

No. The idea is silly.Not discussing his emotions.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I feel his pain, but I wonder how many cycling trips along that road have taken place without an incident, it is all about risk assessment.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It seems the tragedy is that a hit and run driver gets off so lightly,which it proves once again might is right in topsy turvy UK where might is right,and drivers get a slapped wrist for killing people going abot their lawful business.

"Hit and run" as a cyclist, 16 months. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-48637318

No problem with that sentence but without knowing the detail of either case the apparent inequity is staggering.

Quite!
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote:No. The idea is silly.Not discussing his emotions.

Indeed. Sorry for him but he still doesn't get the right to spout harmful nonsense unchallenged.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My understanding is that he didn't spout harmful nonsense, but rather tried to get the highway authority to provide separate infrastructure and only when they refused, he suggested they should ban cycling. Without a lot to go one, I presumed that this was a ploy to shame the authorities into doing something about separate cycling provision.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I do know the road in question but I haven't cycled on it and I probably never would. A couple of years ago I demurred from cycling on the A40 between Whitchurch and Monmouth even though there was no alternative road (I crossed the river by hand pulled ferry and found a rough cycleway in the end but it wasn't really suitable). I consider cycling on fast dual carriageways too dangerous. My plan usually is to ride centre lane and draw up a few vehicles behind me to act as protection. On this occasion however I decided that 70 mph lorries just might not pull up in time.

So the road was effectively closed to me. It was closed in any case by design - I presume there was no thought or intention that it would be used by cyclists, the same as the Bournemouth road. The men and women who called themselves engineers are now enjoying or have enjoyed a comfortable retirement on good pensions.

So the argument for me is whether these roads are structurally safe to ride on. I don't think they are and a ban on cycling might at least prompt alternatives.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:. .............So the argument for me is whether these roads are structurally safe to ride on. I don't think they are and a ban on cycling might at least prompt alternatives.

Whilst I totally agree with you about a cycling ban being a good safety measure on such roads especially with the standard of UK driving.I suspect a cycling ban wouldn't make any difference to cycling infrastructure building or quality,it's the UK way unfortunately,cycling is regarded as a PITA by the highways designers and builders.
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

As I've said before the strategy is not to ban people from cycling. If you ban them you have to provide alternatives.
HE1.png

It's much cheaper to scare them off and then declare that as there are no vulnerable road users you don't have to provide for them.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Not sure of precise location but from Google maps looks like the main road likely provides the most direct route. They should provide cycle paths.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.72497 ... 6656?hl=en
pwa

Post by pwa »

We have a similar road a few miles away in Bridgend and there is currently a construction team putting in what looks to me to be a wide shared use path. I wouldn't have labelled it a particularly dangerous road as it is, but it is unattractive to cycle on.

Just here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5200049 ... 2?hl=en-GB