** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:If you're aiming to diss all Remainers, you can do better than that, Mick F!

No he can't.
That's Mick's best shot or he'd have come up with a better story :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:I've been on here saying that everyone I know wants to out of the EU.
Today, I heard that someone I know quite well wants to remain! :shock:
He's a mathematician, and only a day or so ago I was privvy to a conversation about reconciling bank accounts.

Story:
He showed a credit card statement and couldn't recollect that on two consecutive days a certain establishment had taken the exact same figure from his account.

Dunno about any of you lot, but I reconcile all our accounts, just like my mathematician friend does. I find it therapeutic and every now and again, I find an error. He did too.

He'd had seven pints of Bass one evening, and the next evening had another seven pints of Bass. :lol: :lol:
If I'd had seven pints of Bass, I wouldn't be drinking for a day or two.

............... and he wants to remain in the EU.
Are all remainers drunk? :wink:

Nah. They can hold their beer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:Nah. They can hold their beer.

Surely effete remainers drink wine, ale is for stalwart John Bull.

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:I've been on here saying that everyone I know wants to out of the EU.
He's a mathematician, and only a day or so ago I was privvy to a conversation about reconciling bank accounts.

Story:
He showed a credit card statement and couldn't recollect that on two consecutive days a certain establishment had taken the exact same figure from his account.

Dunno about any of you lot, but I reconcile all our accounts, just like my mathematician friend does. I find it therapeutic and every now and again, I find an error. He did too.

He'd had seven pints of Bass one evening, and the next evening had another seven pints of Bass. :lol: :lol:

Probably drowning his sorrows having failed to find meaningful discourse and debate. :wink:
It's tough to find that in the SW!!

And mention Br.... and the pub landlord demands a "sin fee".
Personally I'd tell the landlord, whose beer I am after all drinking, to shove it where the sun don't shine.
If one can't have a face to face discussion over a beer, life's a poor dumbed down thing.

Mind you, throwing stones in glasshouses and all that?
I seem to remember a recent cycle pub tour where by one's own confession considerable quantities were quaffed. :shock:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:Nah. They can hold their beer.

Surely effete remainers drink wine, ale is for stalwart John Bull.

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.

One of the daftest anti remainer jibes I've read here. That aside I'd wager a majority of leavers drink lager not beer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:

Story:

Nah. They can hold their beer.
Excellent answer and the one I anticipated!!! :D :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
One of the daftest anti remainer jibes I've read here. That aside I'd wager a majority of leavers drink lager not beer.

My target was brexiters. I guess I missed. Isn't there a cautionary internet saying about that?

Found it. Poe's law.

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humour, it is impossible to create a parody of fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.”
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

My target was brexiters. I guess I missed. Isn't there a cautionary internet saying about that?

Found it. Poe's law.

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humour, it is impossible to create a parody of fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.”

Given you were educated in Spalding I thought such subtlety beyond you. :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
Given you were educated in Spalding I thought such subtlety beyond you.

Are you trying to tell me that the possibility of subtlety occurred to you, but you discounted it on the basis of your mistaken notion of SGS? It was an excellent school in those days.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Given you were educated in Spalding I thought such subtlety beyond you.

Are you trying to tell me that the possibility of subtlety occurred to you, but you discounted it on the basis of your mistaken notion of SGS? It was an excellent school in those days.

Really? AT BGS we used to say it was for kids too thick for Bourne Secondary Modern :lol:
In reality though no kids were too thick for there.
Back then three little towns in a row Stamford looked down on Bourne and Bourne looked down on Spalding. I'd guess Spalding looked down on Wisbech.
I'm actually just about to go to Spalding.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:Really? We used to say it was for kids too thick for Bourne Secondary Modern :lol:

Children often talk nonsense to put each other down. You should not take childhood prattle seriously.
So you do claim that it occurred to you that I might not be serious, but discounted the possibility on the grounds of childhood prejudice? A likely story.(sarcasm)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:Really? AT BGS we used to say it was for kids too thick for Bourne Secondary Modern :lol:
In reality though no kids were too thick for there.
Back then three little towns in a row Stamford looked down on Bourne and Bourne looked down on Spalding. I'd guess Spalding looked down on Wisbech.
I'm actually just about to go to Spalding.

I cannot remember us boys ever having any particular opinion about neighbouring schools (beyond those in the town).
Perhaps because in those days being driven to school was very rare. The school bus went to the appropriate, nearest.
The "school run" was unknown. Being driven to Bourne from Spalding for school would have struck us as very strange.
Perhaps you are rather younger than me.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:.

If I had 7 pints of Bass I would be throwing up, for some reason Bass doesnt agree with me. Are they all drunk?...I think remainers are generally all fond of a glass of the grape juice, ale is strictly for lumpen leavers.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote:?...I think remainers are generally all fond of a glass of the grape juice, ale is strictly for lumpen leavers.

Al

I made that point a little earlier in the thread. I fell foul of Poe's Law.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"Good thing you included the winky. Otherwise people might think you are serious".

:wink:
Mick F. Cornwall