Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Things that make you disproportionately happy.

Post by Oldjohnw »

Talking of wheatears I get remarkable if indecent pleasure from the derivation of their name: white a.r.s.e. (built in sanitising protocols changed the last word to buttock which doesn't really work in the context).
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Talking of wheatears I get remarkable if indecent pleasure from the derivation of their name: white a.r.s.e. (built in sanitising protocols changed the last word to buttock which doesn't really work in the context).

White bottom if you please :wink:
Bird names are fascinating, many species have various names not to mention latin ones
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The way Wheateaters fly from fence post to fence post in front of me when I riding in the summer.

That reminds me of dippers on the river wharfe as we kayaked from grassing ham (iirc or a bit lower down) to the get out after the strid. You'd see it flying ahead of us from rock to rock. Then it would reach the end of its patch and fly back upstream to where we first saw it. Only for another dipper taking over. Amazing birds and related to the little wren I believe.

I didn't know of the Dipper's relation to the Wren but I too like to watch them dipping in lakelend streams :)

Not seen many in Lakeland but Yorkshire rivers many dippers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:That reminds me of dippers on the river wharfe as we kayaked from grassing ham (iirc or a bit lower down) to the get out after the strid. You'd see it flying ahead of us from rock to rock. Then it would reach the end of its patch and fly back upstream to where we first saw it. Only for another dipper taking over. Amazing birds and related to the little wren I believe.

I didn't know of the Dipper's relation to the Wren but I too like to watch them dipping in lakelend streams :)

Not seen many in Lakeland but Yorkshire rivers many dippers.

I've seen plenty in Lakeland becks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Amazing birds and related to the little wren I believe.

I don't think the Dipper is related to the Wren - sorry. Neither Wiki nor my bird book place them close together, taxonomically - although as you know taxonomists are constantly arguing with each other and changing their minds! Dippers are more closely allied to thrushes and starlings, it seems.

I agree, to catch sight of a dipper (e.g. at The Strid in the Yorkshire Dales) is a magical moment. Not seen down our way in Sussex alas! Or are they?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Yep no relation, indeed not related to much. Not many of the rest of the 4 dipper species visit our island height neither. Although taxonomists are still not agreeing on the subspecies (hibernocus = Irish dipper, gularis = British dipper, etc.). Taxonomists would argue with little excuse. Currently the subspecies based on colour of chest is disputed I read.

So the old myth I got told as a kid about closely related to wren is totally wrong. You live and learn. Still an interesting bird though.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

it is 10.30pm and I heard some what sounded like a steam train chugging along the railway line a short distance away. I looked out the balcony and could see the immense smoke/steam trail they leave behind caught by lights against a dark background, the trees obscured the train its self. I dont know what this steam train was, chugging along the line to London Bridge. Any one here know of some event happening in London?

after a bit of googling maybe this will throw some light on the matter
https://londonist.com/london/transport/ ... hance-2019
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

iandriver wrote:Despite the horrible weather, I've had a good week

The weather is awful, I have to cycle to and from work in the sun, felt really exhausted this morning
First slurp of porridge*** started to change that, slowly :?
Plus One: next week the days start getting shorter
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sneezing.
Yes, really. It's a fleeting but very enjoyable sensation.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

peetee wrote:Sneezing.

but hiccuping aint
nor vomiting
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The idea that someone wants to electrify their bike! I mean why would you want to send electric current through your bike?! I know that's not the meaning but it makes me laugh as an idea. Sparky the cyclist.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:

but hiccuping aint
nor vomiting

Well .... I had the gallstones for a good while, which in it's more vigorous manifestation would cause the bilious (literally) attack. This involves hours of pain in the guts as one's digestion does reverse peristalsis to eject the gut content inclusive of the problematic bile. If I was lucky it would be one long period of gut ache followed by one bout of throwing up. What a relief that throwing up was! Such a relief that, compared to the painful peristalsis, it was a pleasure.

'Twas another one of those "nice when it stops" pleasures, like getting somewhere warm & dry after camping in the rain & cold for a week; or grovelling home on the bike in a bad state of bonk with all the shops shut then seeing the front gate at last.

Sometimes there would be multiple painful peristalsis-then-upchuck events, all night long. The last technicolour yawn (generally just green by then) - when the pain eventually went and one could go to sleep - was utter bliss!

Yes, I realise you didn't want to know that. :-)

Cugel, bereft of the blasted bile bladder now.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:

but hiccuping aint
nor vomiting
And neither is sneezing over and over and over and over again.
Believe me, it ain't nice at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My migrainous vomiting bouts end up being bile. Not nice when it's burning your throat and nasal passages at the same time on its way out. Plus the blood pressure build up that causes tiny pinprick of burst blood vessel around your eyes and indeed the bleed into the white of one eye or two.

Of course there's a saying about sneezing. Can't remember the counting up part just that 5 straight sneezes is equivalent to an orgasm. Not sure about that personally.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well - sneezing isn't on my 'enjoyable' list come the hay-fever season! I get bouts where I sneeze about 20 times in quick succession, the first two are tolerable but then it becomes a drag. And embarrassing if I'm in company. Sucking on a few Fisherman's Friends can sometimes help damp it down.

If I'm driving, of course, it can be dangerous. I let the first sneeze erupt, cautiously. If I feel a second or third coming, I have to stop.

Oddly enough, I seem to sneeze less when cycling. Why is that? I'd have thought I'd be more exposed to pollen on the bike.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).