the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cunobelin

Re: the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

Post by Cunobelin »

[youtube]aqZ8-ytw6cY[/youtube]
StephenW

Re: the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

Post by StephenW »

The Rinko idea seems quite nice, although I'm not sure about regularly taking the headset apart. I feel like a headset, especially a threaded one, is the kind of thing you want to get set right, and then leave alone as much as possible?

I thought this video might be of interest to some (it's a folding recumbent):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_x911RpbE
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can make the whole readjustment process a bit quicker by marking the adjusting race of a threaded headset and ensuring it returns to the same position when you reassemble the bike. There's something to be said for cartridge bearings here; IME even the best clipped balls tend to pop out when the clip gets a bit worn.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

StephenW wrote:The Rinko idea seems quite nice, although I'm not sure about regularly taking the headset apart. I feel like a headset, especially a threaded one, is the kind of thing you want to get set right, and then leave alone as much as possible?

One more reason to choose a threadless headset (and with cartridge bearings) for this purpose. But make sure to not use one of those stems with bolts that are too small (or at least, grease the threads), better to choose one with M6 bolts and that will fit nicely and not sloppy on the fork's steerer.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

mjr wrote:
Brucey wrote:If you simply remove the wheels and strap them to the rest of the bike you have a bundle that may be allowed on trains with less hassle than a complete bike

I tried the above this morning. I don't think the pictured bike is packed realistically because there is too much slack in the top strap so I think the wheels will move and rub the frame which they've not covered at all.

Other things I have learned from the test:
- cover the derailleur and chainring to avoid oiling yourself or your main bag/cover inner too easily;
- cover the saddle to avoid scuffing it up until you get the packed bike into its cover;
- if your brake cables exit out the top (vintage-style) then either the hoods need to be lower than the tops (mine are) or I think you need to rotate the bars top-forwards to make it so;
- if leaving pedals in place as pictured, strap the non-drive-side crank to the chainstay, the opposite to what's shown - it'll make the package slightly bigger but the drive-side pedal will protect things from the chainring a bit;
- leave a route to pick up the bundle by the downtube in front of the bottom bracket;
- the toestrap which lashes the wheels behind the BB needs to be a long one - longer than I ever used;
- if you deflate a tyre to remove it, reinflate it before lashing the wheels;
- lying the pack down as in the PDF makes it easier to lash the wheels because then you're not also fighting gravity.

I've yet to figure out where to put rear mudguard and rack in the bundle. Around the wheel seems good but it might widen the bundle further.

Very helpful thank you. I'm going to try this to get around the "no bike reservations are available" problem next w/e.
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

I would removed the rear derailleur from the hanger, I've seen too many clubmates riding in misery due to a bent mech hanger. Unfortunately, most modern bikes have some rather undersized sections there, no more than a couple of mm at best.
It ought to be the reason why my Audax bike is steel and has got forged dropouts, yes, they can ben too, but it takes a lot more to create a real problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you could fit your bike into a normal suitcase, would the airlines accept it?

It has had me thinking for some time that I could pull my Moulton TSR apart into small bits and pack it in a suitcase. Maybe it'd be ok on a train journey as well as a flight.
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Wouldn't you be better with a soft bag on a train trip mick?
As a separable I would have thought it would fit with ease into something like the ground effect tardis, which then packs to something the size of an old phone directory.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it probably would, but in a real suitcase it would be easier to stow and transport. It would be treated like normal luggage.

Years and years ago, Mrs Mick F and me made a denim bag with a long zip and webbing straps. Mercian with mudguards off, wheels off, would go in upside down. Wheels and mudguards into separate rip-stop bags and slotted in alongside. The whole thing zipped up, and I could carry it as a large shoulder bag.

We were living in Scotland at the time, and I was traveling up and down to Portsmouth for courses. Mercian was used most evenings down there keeping me happy. :D

In 1994, I went by train with Mercian in the bag, and unwrapped it at JOG. I took brown paper, sticky tape and a felt pen, wrapped and addressed it, and posted it home. I still have it still in the wrapping - never been used since.

Suitcases are cheap and plentiful and come in a wide variety of sizes, so if you could fit a bike into one, it's easy to transport - and it can be treated as normal luggage.
Mick F. Cornwall
hamster

Post by hamster »

Mick F wrote:If you could fit your bike into a normal suitcase, would the airlines accept it?

It has had me thinking for some time that I could pull my Moulton TSR apart into small bits and pack it in a suitcase. Maybe it'd be ok on a train journey as well as a flight.

Yes, have a look at the Ritchey Break-Away, which fits in a conventional suitcase.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the problem with 'suitcase bikes' is that you have to find something to do with the suitcase at the end of the journey. I've seen some that turn into luggage trailers but they look kind of klutzy. I wonder if there isn't a (small) market for 'bike (suit-) case rental'?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hamster

Post by hamster »

Brucey wrote:the problem with 'suitcase bikes' is that you have to find something to do with the suitcase at the end of the journey. I've seen some that turn into luggage trailers but they look kind of klutzy. I wonder if there isn't a (small) market for 'bike (suit-) case rental'?

cheers

Left luggage at the airport or station has worked fine for me, the only problem is an 'open jaws' trip.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:the problem with 'suitcase bikes' is that you have to find something to do with the suitcase at the end of the journey. I've seen some that turn into luggage trailers .........
I've been thinking ...........

I'm sort of planning a ride next spring and thinking of the train taking the strain to get me from/to home start and finish.

If I could fit my Moulton into a small enough suitcase, I could carry a small suitcase with my stuff in it together with my Carry Freedom trailer stripped down in a bag, and take the lot of it on the train. Two suitcases and one collapsible bag. Could that work?

At the end of the train journey to the start, I could reassemble Moulton, reassemble CF trailer, and mount the larger suitcase on the load bed with my small suitcase and bag inside. At the end of the ride, do the reverse and get the two suitcases and the bag on the train home.
Could that work?

This is all dependent in fitting Moulton into a small enough suitcase. Sounds like an experiment is in order! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What about your bag from 1994 mick f? You could fit that inside your small suitcase that will fit inside your big suitcase, then you could be really clever and get an even bigger suitcase and fit the whole lot in! :lol: :lol: :lol:
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Here you go Mick F.

The guys at Path Less Pedaled have already done this for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7cLDLC-13g