feedback about moderation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
661-Pete

Re: feedback about moderation

Post by 661-Pete »

I'll accept that the implied criticism "people don't always look...." was not intended to refer to Cugel, Mike and myself specifically. I always do look for another thread on the same topic. Sometimes they're hard to find - especially if the OP has given an obscure title!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
slowster

Post by slowster »

661-Pete wrote:I'll accept that the implied criticism "people don't always look...." was not intended to refer to Cugel, Mike and myself specifically. I always do look for another thread on the same topic. Sometimes they're hard to find - especially if the OP has given an obscure title!

Ahem:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=130782

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=1365955#p1365955
Graham

Post by Graham »

^ Those two topics merged. . . . .

This sort of thing . . . . happens all the time . . . . ways of the the world !

PS. Unhelpful Clickbait titles are rubbish
mjr

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I'll accept that the implied criticism "people don't always look...." was not intended to refer to Cugel, Mike and myself specifically. I always do look for another thread on the same topic. Sometimes they're hard to find - especially if the OP has given an obscure title!

Ahem:

And now for some bizarre reason, the combined thread has been put in "on the road" instead of "public policy"?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:
slowster wrote:

Ahem:

And now for some bizarre reason, the combined thread has been put in "on the road" instead of "public policy"?
Well, I too thought it belonged properly in 'Campaigning & Public Policy', so I didn't look elsewhere.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Should one report oneself if one thinks others may object to certain (not illegal or insulting or racist) language?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looked for some fairly harmless recent arguments, found nothing, apparently they have been deleted

Elsewhere are arguments with false allegations that have not been deleted, perhaps they should be
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:But is it technically possible to prevent a certain user from posting on certain threads or subfora?

Specific Topic ban . . .. pretty sure "No".
Specific Section ban . . . . probably not.

I guess that something else might happen if a User was banned from ( only a ) part of the forum . . . .

What do you think might happen?

I am very disappointed that another thread has been locked as the Tea-ists wanted rather than rulebreakers being banned. Are the mods scared of the Tea Party crowd for some reason?

Is there any chance yet of "The Tea Room" being renamed to something more politically-neutral like "The Cake Shop" to make it clear that other views are allowed on this forum and possibly in time stop attracting one view disproportionately?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tearoom? Cakeshop? Old Bull and Bush!
May one ask, was that the b****t thread?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:May one ask, was that the b****t thread?

Yes:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=140984&start=540#p1559119

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:Specific Section ban . . . . probably not.

This may have changed since the above was written, but it now looks technically possible to ban someone from posting to one section by using "Users' Forum Permissions" in current phpbb. See https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rmissions/

There are extensions for topic permissions and to disallow topic viewing by certain groups, but I believe the admins don't want to install more extensions unless they must.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Not exactly moderation but perhaps moderation-avoidance, if that makes sense.

There have been a couple of invitations recently from posters suggesting others should use the "foe" function to ignore them.

I only use this occasionally and it's generally been proof of the saying "Ignore them and they will go away." (I don't think that that's from Hamlet BTW)

There's the odd exception, some might say "very odd." Then, the weakness of ignoring somebody who's not worth the effort of reading is that others may quote them, so you end up seeing it secondhand, although that usually confirms that the "foe" list was the right way to go.

Only a pipe-dream but I'd welcome something which edited out those quotes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is easy enough to ignore them, scan the posts made by others, if one sees that the foe was quoted, ignore it
It is not quite like ignoring someone in real life, but it is easy enough
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is a pity that a whole topic was closed down apparently because of a private spat between a couple of individuals.

The topic might bore some but it is probably the most important topic of our modern life. It is inevitable that feelings are heightened and sometimes raw. A pity that sometimes lines are crossed.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 11 Dec 2020, 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: Then, the weakness of ignoring somebody who's not worth the effort of reading is that others may quote them, so you end up seeing it secondhand, although that usually confirms that the "foe" list was the right way to go.

Only a pipe-dream but I'd welcome something which edited out those quotes.

I have had that problem too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?