Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Just a thought ...........

The old saying is that policemen seem to be getting younger these days ............ because you yourself are getting older! :D

However, is there a statistic out there showing the average age of the MPs over the years?
Are they getting younger or not?
Found this.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/871 ... arliament/
Therefore, not much change, so it must be me getting older! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And the Tory party faithful think he's the best thing since slice bread :shock: :shock: :shock:
That said there's many others think the same of Nigel Farage :roll:
It must be something in the water..........

Farage is also a threat to some labour areas because of Brexit. Just because Corbyn sticks his fingers in his ears when someone brings that up doesn't make it untrue.

As to tory faithful? I vote most of the elections for tory candidate but aren't a member. If that makes me a tory faithful then I can tell you Boris isn't my choice. I'm certain many tory voters are like me. The members aren't all the voters for the tories so I suspect if he becomes pm next GE he'll lose many tory voters just like me. If Labour ditches Corbyn and his lot to get a real leader I'll be voting Labour. If not I'm stuck for options.

I was meaning Tory party members when I said the "faithful",but more's the pity for you for voting Tory,
It's the Tories that's got the country in the utter mess it's in now,vote Tory vote mess,and a huge one at that! :?

And the Tories battle cry was always:

Don't let Labour in they can't run a country! Rather different in reality :evil:

I don't like Corbyn but could he be any worse than the shower vying for leadership?
If I believed in one, I'd say god help us!
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

francovendee wrote:If I believed in one, I'd say god help us!

Someone once told me that the Liverpool Labour Party was largely populated by Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen. Perhaps it wasn't true, but it made perfect sense. The whole New Labour project felt like a high pressure sales pitch by a bunch of over-confident, shiny suited spivs.

Well, if Labour was Kirby salesmen, what are the modern Tories? Lacking the organisational skills of the mafia; lacking the drive of the door-to-door sales team, lacking the sincerity of a cult - yet with the worst qualities of each. The last days of the Manson Family perhaps.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
francovendee wrote:If I believed in one, I'd say god help us!

Someone once told me that the Liverpool Labour Party was largely populated by Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen. Perhaps it wasn't true, but it made perfect sense. The whole New Labour project felt like a high pressure sales pitch by a bunch of over-confident, shiny suited spivs.

Well, if Labour was Kirby salesmen, what are the modern Tories? Lacking the organisational skills of the mafia; lacking the drive of the door-to-door sales team, lacking the sincerity of a cult - yet with the worst qualities of each. The last days of the Manson Family perhaps.

There's a misspelt word in there somewhere Bov :wink:

PS,I'm assuming you meant New Labour of the noughties?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:There's a misspelt word in there somewhere Bov :wink:
Deliberately misspelt to dodge the filter! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:PS,I'm assuming you meant New Labour of the noughties?

It wasn't my observation, but I think he was going a bit further back than that - when the party was rebuilding.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Farage is also a threat to some labour areas because of Brexit. Just because Corbyn sticks his fingers in his ears when someone brings that up doesn't make it untrue.

As to tory faithful? I vote most of the elections for tory candidate but aren't a member. If that makes me a tory faithful then I can tell you Boris isn't my choice. I'm certain many tory voters are like me. The members aren't all the voters for the tories so I suspect if he becomes pm next GE he'll lose many tory voters just like me. If Labour ditches Corbyn and his lot to get a real leader I'll be voting Labour. If not I'm stuck for options.

I was meaning Tory party members when I said the "faithful",but more's the pity for you for voting Tory,
It's the Tories that's got the country in the utter mess it's in now,vote Tory vote mess,and a huge one at that! :?

And the Tories battle cry was always:

Don't let Labour in they can't run a country! Rather different in reality :evil:

I don't like Corbyn but could he be any worse than the shower vying for leadership?
If I believed in one, I'd say god help us!

well it could be just what we need to correct the balance after the Cameron/Osborne/May years? I think his style ie non presidential doesnt warm him to many? makes him seem weak.? Corbyn is more a chairman than a leader? But maybe thats no bad thing?
Last edited by mercalia on 18 Jun 2019, 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:well it could be just what we need to correct the balance after the Cameron/Osborne/May years? I think his style ie non presidential doesnt warm him to many? makes him seem weak.?

I'll go with policies over personalities ever time.

IMO what we're seeing ATM with the Tories is a party run by a minority within it who will do anything to leave the EU,they think BoJo is their saviour :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:IMO what we're seeing ATM with the Tories is a party run by a minority within it who will do anything to leave the EU,they think BoJo is their saviour :roll:

If you look at the noises Bojo is making he's promising everyone what they want.

Turns out that personalised promises are easy and bizarrely a bit of a vote winner... ;)

Perhaps they realise that he's offering different things to different people and he simply reassures each of them that he had to tell the others that to "get them on board"...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I hope Sajid Javid doesnt get thru. nor gove
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Spinners wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I wonder, just wonder, whether the non-Boris support will coalesce around Rory as being the only remotely plausible antidote. The others - Grey Man 1, 2, 3, and there may have been a 4th, who knows, don't have a snowball's.

Not likely IMO. Stewart won't make the Top 4.

I'm still wondering, just wondering...
RickH

Post by RickH »

And then there were 5: BBC News - Dominic Raab out of Tory leadership race

Why do the proceedings remind me of one of those slow motion car crash videos? :twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Raab must be hurting big time.

As Holby's been cancelled I might as well tune in :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I hope some one here viewed the TV debate between the prospective PMs and will report back what they made of it
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I thought that it was generally rather poor tbh. Stewart didn't do as well as last time, Hunt rather better, as was Javid. Gove was meh, and Johnson turned up but said nothing to stick it in the home net. A couple of the viewer questioners expressed their dissatisfaction with the responses. Maitland had difficulty corralling them at times.