Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
24hourmaths

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by 24hourmaths »

A brief note on 24 hour cycing records. This post is about men's records; but all categories also feature women's records.

If we restrict ourselves to unpaced records on the open roads, there are still a few to choose from. The oldest is the RRA (http://www.rra.org.uk/) record, of which the recent history is listed below. This is usually attempted as part of a LEJOG effort but certainly does not need to be - the RRA would accept an attempt on any regulation route on UK roads.

There is also the CTT (formerly RTTC) record (https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/) which would need to be set during a CTT time trial event of which there is now usually only one per year - the Mersey Roads 24. Andy Wilkinson's record ride was set in the last non-Mersey Roads event whcih was the 2011 National Championships in 2011.

Worldwide, we can look to WUCA (formerly UMCA) (https://worldultracycling.com/timed/) who keep a confusingly large array of records under many conditions for indoor track/outdoor track and "open road". The open road record was set by the remarkable Christoph Strasser at an old airport in Berlin.

1982john

Post by 1982john »

So another record smashed this morning.

From Mel's twitter:

At 03:11 this morning I sprinted into John o’ Groats after 21 hours on the bike and over 300km ridden since 6am.

I genuinely feared my dream was too big of 9 days.

... 6 days, 22 hours, 18 minutes.

I did it..
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

RickH

Post by RickH »

1982john wrote:So another record smashed this morning.

From Mel's twitter:

At 03:11 this morning I sprinted into John o’ Groats after 21 hours on the bike and over 300km ridden since 6am.

I genuinely feared my dream was too big of 9 days.

... 6 days, 22 hours, 18 minutes.

I did it..

She's gone and done a Beryl - not only smashed the women's record but the men's too! 8) :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Fantastic result :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

24hourmaths wrote:A brief note on 24 hour cycing records. This post is about men's records; but all categories also feature women's records.

If we restrict ourselves to unpaced records on the open roads, there are still a few to choose from. The oldest is the RRA (http://www.rra.org.uk/) record, of which the recent history is listed below. This is usually attempted as part of a LEJOG effort but certainly does not need to be - the RRA would accept an attempt on any regulation route on UK roads.

So Butler's 509.3 claim in 2001 was incorrect by 3.5 miles? :shock: :?
509.3.JPG
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

The utility cyclist wrote:
24hourmaths wrote:A brief note on 24 hour cycing records. This post is about men's records; but all categories also feature women's records.

509.3.JPG

Hi - not sure about that, I've not seen that before. I had a flick through a couple of John Taylor's RRA books and see no reference to Gethin claiming that distance. I do know that 509.3 is Gethin's 24 hour PB (under RTTC regs) which he rode to win the 2000 Championship - perhaps this number slipped into the article?

Mens 24 Hour Championship results 2000
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

24hourmaths wrote:

509.3.JPG

Hi - not sure about that, I've not seen that before. I had a flick through a couple of John Taylor's RRA books and see no reference to Gethin claiming that distance. I do know that 509.3 is Gethin's 24 hour PB (under RTTC regs) which he rode to win the 2000 Championship - perhaps this number slipped into the article?

thanks for that, I can't quite understand how the submission was made so late which coincided with his LEJOG ride, I've seen the number quoted as part of the ride several times including Guinness.
Attachments
Gethin B.JPG
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

24hourmaths wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:So Butler's 509.3 claim in 2001 was incorrect by 3.5 miles? :shock: :?
509.3.JPG

thanks for that, I can't quite understand how the submission was made so late which coincided with his LEJOG ride, I've seen the number quoted as part of the ride several times including Guinness.

I texted RRA stalwart Ralph Dadswell to see whether he could remember the order of events in 2001. He pointed out that back in the day there much longer between the claim of a record and the verification, before GPS software was available - the work would be done painstakingly by RRA officials and would take months(!). Also, he suggested that there was perhaps an issue that the RRA would never ratify a distance that was further than you claimed, so it made sense to be optimistic in your claim. The 'claim' of 509.3 would have been public knowledge, and perhaps picked up by Guiness, who would draw info from the RRA, and would then have been corrected to 505.8 at a (much) later date.

I don't know whether all that is true, I'm just guessing. I am sure that Gethin will know the full story. What is clear is that the 24 is a 'soft record' if someone were to try and do it separately to a LEJOG - I'm sure that 550+ is very doable on a course that doesn't include Shap, by a rider who isn't planning another 330 miles or so. But perhaps it would be a shame as the record is now so tied up with EJOG attempts.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I shall not be attempting it! Saw you at Penn Island just before Wolverhampton last year and you looked as if you were just riding back to your car after a '100' not like somebody who'd done about 330 miles!! Will be be like Lynne Taylor and have a go at beating your own record?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What's happened to Ian To?
Has he done the ride or not?
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:What's happened to Ian To?
Has he done the ride or not?

Not yet Mick still waiting for a tail wind and heat I suspect.
He’s trying out a new bike in the Brecons today.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Any whispers of an attempt at the women's record this year? Would love to see someone have a go as I think there's a lot of time that could come off it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1982john wrote:Any whispers of an attempt at the women's record this year? Would love to see someone have a go as I think there's a lot of time that could come off it.

Christina Mack from Stirling is planning to have a go at it in August. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

1982john wrote:Any whispers of an attempt at the women's record this year? Would love to see someone have a go as I think there's a lot of time that could come off it.

Keep an eye on this feed:

Christina Mackensie https://twitter.com/Lejogmack

First possible day is 1st August