What the heck is this tool for ........ cleaning

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: What the heck is this tool for ........ cleaning

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Not quite. Any disc with teeth on it is a cog, the terms ‘sprocket’ and ‘ring’ just refer to the function and position of the cog.

A cog has teeth that mesh with those of another cog or worm gear etc. A sprocket’s teeth meshes with a roller chain.

They are different.

Cog can also refer to the individual teeth on a cog, and could stretch to those on a sprocket as well, but the whole round thing is a sprocket, not a cog.

Nope.

Yes - those were taken from the OED.
You are taking colloquial usage as truth, which on technical matters is just wrong.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

^^^^^^^^^^^ Not only that, but the use of "ring" to describe a sprocket on a cassette is a modern usage. When I read it I always think it is a new rider who knows the term chainring so thinks it applies to the rear as well.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

tatanab wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^ Not only that, but the use of "ring" to describe a sprocket on a cassette is a modern usage. When I read it I always think it is a new rider who knows the term chainring so thinks it applies to the rear as well.

[my bold] Your post is the first time I can remember hearing this. (I would think the same as you.) I hope it doesn't catch on!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:A cog has teeth that mesh with those of another cog or worm gear etc. A sprocket’s teeth meshes with a roller chain.

They are different.

Cog can also refer to the individual teeth on a cog, and could stretch to those on a sprocket as well, but the whole round thing is a sprocket, not a cog.

Nope.

You are taking colloquial usage as truth, which on technical matters is just wrong.

A sheep is a type of animal, a dog is also a type of animal. A dog is not a sheep. A chain ring is a cog, a sprocket is also a cog, a sprocket is not a chain ring.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Nope.

A sheep is a type of animal, a dog is also a type of animal. A dog is not a sheep. A chain ring is a cog, a sprocket is also a cog, a sprocket is not a chain ring.

???

My cat has 4 legs, a dog has 4 legs therefore my cat must be a dog !!!
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Marcus Aurelius

skyhawk wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

???

My cat has 4 legs, a dog has 4 legs therefore my cat must be a dog !!!

Oh Jesus, here we go. It’s not rocket science. Strictly speaking, cogs, are actually the teeth on the sprocket or chain ring or whatever, hence the ancient term cogwheel to describe the bits that do the work.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Personally I was just adding to the joke :) :) :)

I have two knees, and elephant has TWO knees therefore I must be an elephant

Did you know elephants have TWO legs and TWO arms not four legs........................

Elephants have 2 legs and 2 arms, but the 'things' at the end of each limb are called feet. There a defining definition that defines what is a foot and what is a hand?

Google it, and blame google not me
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
A sheep is a type of animal, a dog is also a type of animal. A dog is not a sheep. .

It might be a sheepdog though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

skyhawk wrote:I have two knees, and elephant has TWO knees therefore I must be an elephant
Did you know elephants have TWO legs and TWO arms not four legs........................
Elephants have four legs and four knees.
Pachyderms are the only animals with four knees.
Mick F. Cornwall
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

(c) xkcd.com
(c) xkcd.com
duty_calls.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 337 times
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

tim-b wrote:duty_calls.png

:) :) :) :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A Wolf-hound is a hybrid beast, just like a sheep-dog, horse-fly, cat-fish :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Halla

Post by Halla »

Keep this going it is much more fun, makes bikes and cycling look dull!!!! :D :lol:

Welcome to the forum Skyhawk.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A Wolf-hound is a hybrid beast, just like a sheep-dog, horse-fly, cat-fish :wink:
What about dog-fish or lion-fish or even non-animals like gravy-train or sausage-factory or perhaps barn-dance?
Mick F. Cornwall
Marcus Aurelius

Vantage wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
A sheep is a type of animal, a dog is also a type of animal. A dog is not a sheep. .

It might be a sheepdog though.

Ah, yes :lol: