Diabetes

Komet

Diabetes

Post by Komet »

Hi, any advice for people with type 2 diabetes? I'm getting back into touring. I ride to work but want to do longer rides.
al_yrpal

Re: Diabetes

Post by al_yrpal »

At one point I killed my type 2 diabetes completely by losing weight and cycling. I think the exercise is the key thing in holding the disease back. So my advice is keep cycling and climb plenty of hills.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Komet

Post by Komet »

Thanks for your reply. Will keep at it.
Halla

Post by Halla »

Hi Komet.

Agree, keep on cycling, and look very carefully at your diet.

My partner, who is not interested in exercise had Type 2 a few years ago, she spent many hours looking at diet and was surprised at how combining certain types of food could negate the effects of sugar. Eg: Eating cream with fruit would help negate the effects of the sugar in the fruit. She was on Metformin for a year or two which helped. She did lose a lot of weight.

You may be aware of the Diabetes forum, where she learnt a lot.

Her Mum also had Type 2 and also got rid of it by careful diet and some gentle and regular walking.

It seems to be about lifestyle.

Good luck with getting rid of it.

Andy
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Yeah, keep on cycling - long endurance rides are best, and at halfway points you can eat things your diet forbids. In fact, on days when I'll be doing ~100k the GP tells me to drop the metformin because it mimics exercise in its effects so not only is it not needed but can even be a hindrance, since it depresses sugar uptake in the intestine and deprives you of needed energy. Also, the unabsorbed sugar feeds your intestinal bacteria and produces non-negligible volumes of greenhouse gas, whoopee.

BTW, getting rid of excess weight will get rid of T2 only if excess weight caused it. Mine's hereditary late-onset, 3rd generation at least, and even if I get down to pipecleaner dimensions it doesn't go away.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Komet

Post by Komet »

Thanks again for your input. Weight is not an issue thankfully. I'm glad to hear there's positive results to look forward to. I will perciver and extend my trips.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

the fat in cream slows down the absorption rate of sugars, which then lowers the insulin response. Fibre also slows down sugar absorption, as well as aids digestion health.
As I said in a different thread, I nearly became diabetic after foolishly following a certain Dr Baker's high carb diet for cycling performance which ruined my actual performance.... Following a combination of Atkins diet and doing high intensity interval training first thing mornings, reversed my highish fasting blood sugar levels ( down from 7.5 - 8.5 to 4 -5) I can do a heavy hour workout in the morning on an empty stomach without crashing the other way.