Good cheap helmet

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Cunobelin

Re: Good cheap helmet

Post by Cunobelin »

skyhawk wrote:Is there such a thing as CHEAP safety ????

I always laugh at the don't wear them brigade, I have come off and wearing a helmet, thank you, and I am pleased that i did, it was not serious but I would have had cuts to the head I didn't have thanks to the headgear so I will thank you to remember we all have choices don't force opposite opinion

I would only fit the best tyres to my car, not retreads ?

That said I don't consider £45-50 cheap,

Finally remember there are people like me, and my son, autistic, who can come off, and other disabled when you make your anti helmet war, many like me feel safer with them and that alone is worth a lot as people like me would not even use a bike without one, there are other sides to this not just for and against but also WHY including emotional and psychological. NOTHING is black and white.

Apologies for sounding off

There are arguments for and against helmets, and it is really up to the individual to make a personal decision, albeit informed rather than a result of bullying and emotional blackmail.

But to answer your question...

How do you measure safety?

There is so much drivel and misinformation out there that it is difficult to see the wood for the trees. One major organiser spent years (technically) disqualifying any helmet bought in Europe, and now insists on a standard that hasn't existed since 2004!

So you can look at which tests the helmets have passed, and unequivocally the ones that pass Snell testing have been tested to a higher impact at more angles than those that have not.

So if you look for a helmet with Snell certification, you can at least be happy that it passes the toughest tests

Then we have a price. Snell certified helmets are available at £200 plus, but also at £30

What you are paying for the looks, ventilation, marketing etc.

The £30 helmet has n=been proven to be as effective as the £200 helmet - so yes safety can be "cheap"
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

skyhawk wrote:Finally remember there are people like me, and my son, autistic, who can come off, and other disabled when you make your anti helmet war, many like me feel safer with them and that alone is worth a lot as people like me would not even use a bike without one, there are other sides to this not just for and against but also WHY including emotional and psychological. NOTHING is black and white.

Apologies for sounding off

You seem to believe that buying and wearing a helmet gives you something called safety. I am afraid to tell you that safety on the road, and elsewhere, is not a state to be gained.
Helmeted cyclists die in accidents too, so if you are led into riding a bike by wearing one and feeling safe, you are being led into danger.
When Australia mandated helmets and the wearing rate went from about a third to nearly 100%, the head injury rate
went up a trifle! The greatest effect was on the number of cyclists. This went down markedly.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
fossala

Post by fossala »

skyhawk wrote:Finally remember there are people like me, and my son, autistic...

OK, I've ignored all 300 threads you have made in the last few weeks to which you feel the need to use your autism or ADHD to answer for every action you seem to take in life. I'm on the autistic spectrum and also diagnosed with ADHD. Yes it makes my brain wired differently to some other people, but it doesn't make my judgements unquestionable and I'd never use it to justify my actions. You use it to justify everything including having a short temper. I think you need to take a look at yourself and how you use a diagnosis to excuse your quite questionable behaviour.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

skyhawk wrote:I always laugh at the don't wear them brigade, I have come off and wearing a helmet, thank you, and I am pleased that i did, it was not serious but I would have had cuts to the head I didn't have thanks to the headgear so I will thank you to remember we all have choices don't force opposite opinion

I do not laugh at the helmet wearing "brigade". I am always glad to see someone on a bike. I even ride with wearers. The sight of so many useless, overpriced bits of polystyrene does make me sad though.
There is no movement to force anyone not to wear helmets. The opposite cannot be said.
Those of us who see the question differently to you do have the right to say why.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

I have posted this before but for anybody that is genuinely interested in safety, rather than mindless helmet promotion, this blog post is well worth a read.
Wanlock Dod wrote:This Finnish blog post is well worth a read.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My helmet was bought from Planet X in their sale 2 years ago .... it's high vis green ... and has hung on the hook in the hallway since i bought it ... it's never been damaged and the hook it hangs on has not been injured in any way ..

As i go out on all my rides i say hello to my helmet as i walk the bike out of the door ..... but never take it ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mike Sales wrote:
skyhawk wrote:I always laugh at the don't wear them brigade, I have come off and wearing a helmet, thank you, and I am pleased that i did, it was not serious but I would have had cuts to the head I didn't have thanks to the headgear so I will thank you to remember we all have choices don't force opposite opinion

I do not laugh at the helmet wearing "brigade". I am always glad to see someone on a bike. I even ride with wearers (if they let me!). The sight of so many useless, overpriced bits of polystyrene does make me sad though.
There is no movement to force anyone not to wear helmets. The opposite cannot be said.
Those of us who see the question differently to you do have the right to say why.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

fossala wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Finally remember there are people like me, and my son, autistic...

OK, I've ignored all 300 threads you have made in the last few weeks to which you feel the need to use your autism or ADHD to answer for every action you seem to take in life. I'm on the autistic spectrum and also diagnosed with ADHD. Yes it makes my brain wired differently to some other people, but it doesn't make my judgements unquestionable and I'd never use it to justify my actions. You use it to justify everything including having a short temper. I think you need to take a look at yourself and how you use a diagnosis to excuse your quite questionable behaviour.

Very plus one ....
Be more Mike.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:My helmet was bought from Planet X in their sale 2 years ago .... it's high vis green ... and has hung on the hook in the hallway since i bought it ... it's never been damaged and the hook it hangs on has not been injured in any way ..

As i go out on all my rides i say hello to my helmet as i walk the bike out of the door ..... but never take it ... :)

It would have been even cheaper and just as good if you had not bought it.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:My helmet was bought from Planet X in their sale 2 years ago .... it's high vis green ... and has hung on the hook in the hallway since i bought it ... it's never been damaged and the hook it hangs on has not been injured in any way ..

It would have been even cheaper and just as good if you had not bought it.

And i would have saved the planet by not using unwanted resources ..... :)
Be more Mike.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You definitely need a helmet - at least a metaphorical one - on these fora.
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

You could improve on its use...

landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:

You could improve on its use...

Outstanding ! we use my old motorcycle helmets in a similar fashion ,,,,,
Be more Mike.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other problem with "Cycle Safety" is that it totally ignores the usual systems and methods, if anything it simply turns MAslow's conrol;s upsidedoen

There is no assessment of the problem, no training, no behavioural or engineering control, it just jumps straight to PPE.

In an industry, such an assessment would most likely result in an improvement order!

(PS,I use the word PPE in the widest sense, the HSE has declared unequivocally that cycle helmets are NOT classed as PPE
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:The other problem with "Cycle Safety" is that it totally ignores the usual systems and methods, if anything it simply turns MAslow's conrol;s upsidedoen

There is no assessment of the problem, no training, no behavioural or engineering control, it just jumps straight to PPE.

In an industry, such an assessment would most likely result in an improvement order!

(PS,I use the word PPE in the widest sense, the HSE has declared unequivocally that cycle helmets are NOT classed as PPE

+1
Be more Mike.