Schwalbe Quality?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
francovendee

Schwalbe Quality?

Post by francovendee »

I've been using Schwalbe tyres for a number of years and found them pretty good. I'd always bought Land Cruisers in 26" x 1.75. but then had 4 tyres go with wall defects.
I then bought a pair of Marathons having heard they we're a good tyre. Today I had a rear tyre blow out, caused by the wall near the bead splitting, letting the tube rub against the brake.
I'm not too heavy and run my tyres at around 45 psi which is the min. Schwalbe recommend. The tyre was bought from SJS and I'm sure it's a genuine Schwalbe product. I've done a max. of 3000 miles on it.
I had another Marathon in stock so I've fitted it, but I'll keep a close eye on it.
If I had been some distance away when it went I'd be in trouble so I'm thinking of getting a lighter weight folding tyre as a 'get me home'.
Really disappointed with Schwalbe :(
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Schwalbe Quality?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think you will find that their have been concerns on these posts before on quality, maybe put down to a bad batch.

I had the very same tyre (land cruiser 26 x 1.75) fortunately I pulled it from a skip bike and it appeared to be brand new.
But one rear wheel lock up it went straight through the rubber to expose the protection strip :shock:
No other vehicle or other tyre I have tried in over fifty years of motor and non motor transport ever came this close.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

The only time I've ever had similar problems were when we first got our tandem and were running on Panaracer and Conti Top Touring tyres.
We kept getting blow outs and it was only solved when our frame-builder and Conti got together to agree that we needed to inflate the tyres at leat 10% above recommended maximum pressure.
Even so, the Contis kept wearing alarmingly at the bead.
Since switching to Marathon Plus tyres, we've never experienced a problem.

I'm just wondering if you are getting too much flex near the rims as you are riding on minimum tyre pressure.
I've always preferred to ride closer to maximum on all my bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the other thing to look out for is that there isn't any rough spot on the rim edge; this can 'nibble' its way into any sidewall over time and cause the tyre to unzip. As per the reply above I would be wary of running the tyres at this pressure.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I had two thoughts about it. Since you seem to get failures near the bead or the sidewall I'd look at the rim too but also raise the pressure.

I'm 86kg so on 32mm gators kins or hypers tyres I run at least 10psi below maximum. Anything lower my tyre seems too flat and I get the feeling I'm damaging my sidewalls

Of course others know more than I, but this is suspicion about what is the cause of your issues.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I would agree that the tyres minimum pressure is too low - and maybe the pressure isn't even that much!

How do you knmow its 45psi? Do you use a gauge? I've found that I can lose a few psi when using a pressure gauge due to air loss when using/removing it, and even just removing the inflator will often result in the sound of air hissing out of the tyre!

Plus of course the natural air loss from the tyre over time, even a week can make a difference.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I never suspected low tyre pressures but as all my failures have been in the wall you might have pointed to a cause.

I use the gauge on the pump but did check it once with an old car tyre pressure gauge, the type that looks like a metal pen, and it seemed about right.
Off now to put some more air in the tyres before going out today.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Buy a grade B pressure gauge.
And use it to calibrate your normal pump gauge.
Short nose is ideal, so no rubber extender pipe.
https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/arti ... sure-gauge
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

This happened today. Not a happy bunny.

IMG_20190623_084315.jpg

I really do miss running Voyager Hypers. :(
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.