Reducing pack size for credit card tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: Reducing pack size for credit card tour

Post by pwa »

Those lock rings don't need doing up very tight. I don't do them up with much force and they never work loose but are easy enough to get off when I want to. For a tour where you are packing an NBT2 you should be ensuring the lock ring is at minimal but effective tightness, not super-tight, before setting off. You can always make it super-tight again when you get home if you really want to. And the NBT2 is also a tightening tool if you find the ring working loose on tour.
horizon

Post by horizon »

HobbesOnTour wrote:As a four pannier kinda guy, I'm a little bit in awe of your list! :D The idea of Edinburgh to London with that kit both excites and terrifies me! :D

Can I ask your average daily distance and speed?

But this is the point surely. If you do a very high daily mileage, that will mean high average speeds including hills. Weight (and wind resistance) are therefore critical. I could throw on a couple of kg and simply go down a gear. That isn't an option for high mileages but, within reason, weight becomes a bit irrelevant (certainly the odd kilo) if your intended mileage is low. AFAIK, the OP is a high mileage cyclist so all this faffing over grammes actually has a purpose.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

horizon wrote:
But this is the point surely. If you do a very high daily mileage, that will mean high average speeds including hills. Weight (and wind resistance) are therefore critical. I could throw on a couple of kg and simply go down a gear. That isn't an option for high mileages but, within reason, weight becomes a bit irrelevant (certainly the odd kilo) if your intended mileage is low. AFAIK, the OP is a high mileage cyclist so all this faffing over grammes actually has a purpose.

Ehm, I'm not really sure why you replied to me. I don't think I was negative about the OP's purposes or otherwise?
I'm genuinely interested in an alternative style to my own and curious about what else is different.
I'd also really like to know the longest number of days that cycle-tourists in the OP's style would consider with such a list.

I can see advantages to such travelling light other than long distances. The obvious one is to have more time in destinations, but there are others such as the practicality of locking the bike up and going off to explore while carrying all your gear, something that can be stressful for the more loaded tourer.
horizon

Post by horizon »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Ehm, I'm not really sure why you replied to me. I don't think I was negative about the OP's purposes or otherwise?
I'm genuinely interested in an alternative style to my own and curious about what else is different.
I'd also really like to know the longest number of days that cycle-tourists in the OP's style would consider with such a list.

I can see advantages to such travelling light other than long distances. The obvious one is to have more time in destinations, but there are others such as the practicality of locking the bike up and going off to explore while carrying all your gear, something that can be stressful for the more loaded tourer.

Sorry, I was actually backing up and highlighting your point/question :) . AFAIK the OP is a VHDMC (very high daily mileage cyclist) who has reported before on his exploits. So it was just to head off any feeling that this discussion was pointless or ridiculous (or uninteresting to those who don't do VHDMs). And I like your additional points above about why else you might want very little luggage.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
1) Spokes even for the reason the OP has said a good idea.
I need a means of removing the cassette (UG) so I will practice with a chain whip and a extension, seat pillar would make a useful extension to a shortened chain whip?
2) Even in summer the rain and 15C can cool you to a chill so a decent waterproof which also seconds as a wind block is a necessity.
I would try to not duplicate with another windblock / gillet, never found a sleeveless thing to be very effective, though some swear by them.

I am planning devon and cornwall coast and borders (720M appx) within a month so it will be interesting as to what I carry / leave behind....camping :)
No panniers just frame bags.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If no ones mentioned so far, Mascot, I used to carry a small plastic gorilla, should have it somewhere...
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

roberts8 wrote:Really interesting and making me think about my packing for a five day trip to Suisse Normandy. I notice you do not include a lock so are you ok about nipping in somewhere or overnight without locking up?

Somebody on another thread said treat your bike like a small child. Never let out of your site. I like that. I think not taking a lock makes you do that, of course it helps if you are travelling with someone else. You can take it in turn to pop in the shops.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
mnichols wrote:Just done a test pack, and my luggage, excluding what I'll be wearing or carrying directly on the bike (Water Bottles, Garmin, lights, phone) and excluding the actually bag it's self is 2Kg. 600 grams of that is bike spares (tubes, patches, multi-tool, etc), 1.4Kg is clothes, toiletries, waterproof, electricals, etc

I added some waterproof socks to the list

I've then put it all in my Carradice, added the rear light and weighed the whole thing and it's under 3Kg and loads of room in the bag

I'm going to get some lighter inner tubes, shorter charging cables, but that's the setup

So next weekend I'll be cycling from Kent around the coast to my home in the West Country, and then in August I'll be flying into Edinburgh and cycling to London....and that will complete my lap of the coast of mainland UK

As a four pannier kinda guy, I'm a little bit in awe of your list! :D The idea of Edinburgh to London with that kit both excites and terrifies me! :D

Can I ask your average daily distance and speed? And for accommodation.... is that planned out in advance or do you seek it out on the fly?

Many thanks

I'm be doing about 100 miles a day, sometimes a lit bit more, sometimes a little less. A couple of years ago I pushed this up to 150 and then 200 miles per day, but I stopped enjoying it as much.

I stay in B&Bs and they don't tend to like to do breakfast early, so at 100 mpd I can have breakfast, preferably 2 short coffee or co-op stops and then be in early afternoon to wash up, clean up and go out for a meal without it being a treadmill

My speed is variable, I've done quite a few 20mph 100 mile days, my fastest was in the American deserts where I managed to average 25mph with panniers for 100 miles but I think that was a one off. More typically I just pootle and it's about 15mph. A real bad day with headwind, rain and hills it could drop to 13mph. On the 200 mile days I had to keep the speed up to get enough sleep.

Accommodation is pre-booked and routes are preplanned. I can be spontaneous, but only with enough notice and sufficient planning.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
horizon wrote:

My longest tour was Canada to Mexico, which was about 2,500 miles over 26 days if I recall correctly. The pack list was very similar, although I needed a warm layer for the mountains in the North and sunscrean in the south

Without actually added them up, I think I've probably done about a dozen or so tours over 1,000 miles and maybe 20 at between 500 and 1,000 miles.

Each kit list is based on the last and then tweaked for the weather

I go backwards and forwards on luggage. I mostly use either small front panniers but on a rack at the back, or a carradice saddle bag. I like the idea of a rack pack but haven't found one I like

Ive done quite a bit in the mountains, I haven't added them up but would estimate 200 cols as I've done end to end of the alps, pyrenees, dolomites, Japanese alps, and the spines of Italy, Spain and America and this is where I get obsessed with weight. It just plays on my mind. I remember two (now) hilarious occasions one where I threw my spare brake cable in the bin convinced it was slowing me down, and another time my friend threw away his flip flops and spent every evening of a wet tour walking around town in his socks.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

mnichols wrote:
I'm be doing about 100 miles a day.....snip

Thanks for that, appreciate it.

mnichols wrote: I can be spontaneous, but only with enough notice and sufficient planning.
:D :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
mnichols wrote: I can be spontaneous, but only with enough notice and sufficient planning.
:D :D

+ 1 :D
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

mnichols wrote:
My longest tour was Canada to Mexico, which was about 2,500 miles over 26 days if I recall correctly. The pack list was very similar, although I needed a warm layer for the mountains in the North and sunscrean in the south

Without actually added them up, I think I've probably done about a dozen or so tours over 1,000 miles and maybe 20 at between 500 and 1,000 miles.

Each kit list is based on the last and then tweaked for the weather

I go backwards and forwards on luggage. I mostly use either small front panniers but on a rack at the back, or a carradice saddle bag. I like the idea of a rack pack but haven't found one I like

Ive done quite a bit in the mountains, I haven't added them up but would estimate 200 cols as I've done end to end of the alps, pyrenees, dolomites, Japanese alps, and the spines of Italy, Spain and America and this is where I get obsessed with weight. It just plays on my mind. I remember two (now) hilarious occasions one where I threw my spare brake cable in the bin convinced it was slowing me down, and another time my friend threw away his flip flops and spent every evening of a wet tour walking around town in his socks.

This wasn't visible earlier when I replied, so thanks again for even more detail!
100 miles a day for almost a month is bloody impressive! Not my style, but still damn impressive! :D

Do you do most of your tours solo or with a partner(s)?

One of the reasons I carry camping gear is that I just couldn't afford accommodation rates, but then I realised how enjoyable the whole camping process is. Truth be told, I'm probably a camper on a bike rather than a biker who camps.

Thanks for the detailed replies. Very best of luck in your adventures!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

HobbesOnTour wrote:

Do you do most of your tours solo or with a partner(s)?

Thanks for the detailed replies. Very best of luck in your adventures!

I have a small circle of friends that tour. We don't all tour together all the time, we all like different things, so I tend to decide what I want to do and then let them know. So, there is usually between 2 and 5 of us on any tour, but a couple more have expressed an interest for next year.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

mnichols wrote:I have a small circle of friends that tour. We don't all tour together all the time, we all like different things, so I tend to decide what I want to do and then let them know. So, there is usually between 2 and 5 of us on any tour, but a couple more have expressed an interest for next year.

Again, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated! It's been a very interesting insight into a different world.