Corrin Dennis traditional touring shorts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NUKe

Corrin Dennis traditional touring shorts

Post by NUKe »

https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... horts-1317

Anybody bought a pair of these ?
I have a couple of questions as I want to use them for recumbent riding
1 •double lined seat - does this mean that the Crotch area is just double thicknes of material and not a pad
2 How do they size up. are they close to your normal Sizing ?
NUKe

Re: Corrin Dennis traditional touring shorts

Post by tatanab »

I have had several pairs. The material used changed about 3 years ago and is much softer.

1 - A single thickness of material with a thin fleece pad.
2 - I am 30-32 waist and find that small or medium both work.

The leg is not close fitting, so might be a bit breezy on a recumbent.

If you get some and find they do not fit, I am sure she would do an exchange very quickly.
PH

Post by PH »

I tried a pair on at York Rally a couple of years ago. I'm a bit of a fan of CD stuff but these didn't suite me, mainly because I found the leg a bit short compared to most modern shorts. I might have got used to that, but if you've already got tan lines it'll look a bit odd.
I've bought a few things over the phone or online and had a couple of returns/exchanges always a pleasure to deal with.
John100

Post by John100 »

Had 1 pair. They tore by the padding without any provocation. Never happened to any other makes I've had. They're not cheap. I wouldn't go near them again.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I have a pair and find them very comfortable. I'm not sure which side of tatanab's redesign they fall but they match his description: single thickness with a fairly thin fleece pad. The pockets are well cut and in the right place for comfort while riding. Perhaps a little shorter than the current idiom but match the Madison touring shorts from the late 1980s I have.

I was going to say that in contrast to PH I'm not a fan of Corrine Dennis stuff but I realized I've actually only ever had one other item from them (a pair of 3/4s which were cut a really inconvenient length - cuffs dug into the top of my calves).
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Not used these, but they do look similar to the craghoppers Kiwi shorts that I wear in summer, and which Ive been very happy with
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I was considering buying some of these last week, before my current trip away. I asked a question (about sizing) by email (as it was at a weekend) but got no reply. I phoned a couple of days later (during office hours) but only got an answerphone. So not very promising from a customer service point of view.
Chris F, Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

rmurphy195 wrote:Not used these, but they do look similar to the craghoppers Kiwi shorts that I wear in summer, and which Ive been very happy with

Good call there they look better than CD ones, for my purposes. I will Pop to Millets when I get chance.
NUKe

Post by Bmblbzzz »

They look like a fundamentally different thing to me. The Craghoppers are unpadded, which might or might not be a factor for you, and they're cut for hiking not riding. IME anything in the lower pockets is going to bounce around on your thighs as you pedal. They might suit you and your purpose or they might not, but they aren't the same sort of thing.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

My husband got some Craghopper Kiwi Pro shorts last year and is delighted with them. He always keeps his keys in a front pocket (with security chain attached to a belt loop) and doesn't seem to have any problem.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I was wearing my old Madisons at the weekend. Excellent comfort over about 11 hours and some bumpy tracks. The only problem is some stitching has started coming loose at the waistband - but they are over 30 years old! Maybe I'll wear the Corrine Dennises next w/e.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I was in town at the weekend, and decided to pop into Millets to see if they had any crag Hopper Kiwi shorts. They didn’t but they did have some Berghaus walking shorts. Which ticked all my boxes, zipped pockets which are useful for recumbent riding, Velcro adjustment on the waste and legs, quick drying . With added bonus of Orange trim, which match my shoes and Boardman top (OK that’s a bit tongue in cheek).
NUKe