the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that guys! :D

That YouTube movie was a bit longwinded and he liked the sound of his own voice.
Also, he stripped it down in a strange order. It's easiest to split the two halves right at the beginning.
It fitted into a suitcase they way I would have expected it to. Foregone conclusion.

The main issue, is what do you do with the suitcase at the other end?
It's fine if you're going to an area to cycle in and having the same base each night, but if you're going from one place to another, you need to take the suitcase with you.

The denim bag from 1994 is FAR to big for a Moulton even if it's only split into two halves and not dismantled.

My idea of the smallest suitcase that I can use, and carry it with me on the trailer is the only way, I reckon. We have a Samsonite suitcase in the loft, I may and see if it would be ok. Can't remember it's specific size until I get it down and have a play.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Re: the art of bicycle folding/packing for transport; modifications for rinko etc.

Post by gazza_d »

It's a nice visual indicator that it can be done, although it's definately vid or skipping through.
The suitcase would also work if you had a circular tour planned and could arrange to leave it somewhere. I have done that previously with conventional bike bags and pipe insulation.
Once the Moulton was broken down it may well fit into those bags you can buy cheaply from Ikea.
I have a bike bag I purchased from Halfords for taking my TSR on public transport, but it doesn't protect or stop the frame parts from rubbing each other
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:We have a Samsonite suitcase in the loft, I may and see if it would be ok. Can't remember it's specific size until I get it down and have a play.
Just so happened that I was up in the loft earlier.

Samsonite seems to be 24 x 17 inches.
Probably too small.
Mick F. Cornwall
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Hi Mick,

I'm doing exactly this right now, with my Jubilee currently in a big suitcase in the hall ready to fly to Switzerland tomorrow. The 'official' recommended suitcase is a Samsonite f'lite 31GT spinner, 32.67 X 23.43 X 13.77 in / 83 X 59.5 X 35 cm. They are pretty expensive. I found a Tripp suitcase in Debenhams recently for £59 in the sale, which is a couple of centimetres smaller but for that price thought is was worth a go.

The bike fits in ok, after a fair bit of dismantling and tetris:
IMG_20190512_181206157.jpg
IMG_20190512_181139549.jpg

but it is a bit of a squeeze with the wheels too. Depth is a key dimension - mine is about 32cm deep rather than the 35 of the Samsonite and the extra 3cm would be useful as two halves and two wheels stack up quite high. I have also made a brace from flat metal plates and M12 threaded rod which will hopefully protect the case and bike from crushing in the middle. The Samsonite case definitely looks stiffer and tougher, and I think has catches and an overlapping lip rather than the flexible zip closure on mine.

This will be the first time I've flown with the Moulton-in-a-suitcase and I am a bit nervous. At this point I wish I'd paid for the Samsonite! Will report back if successful, or if not.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks! :D

Some years ago, I bought a big bike box on these pages. The idea was to use it to fly abroad with Mercian, but it hasn't transpired. The box is at present under the bed filled with various stuff.

I tried it with Mercian, and also with Moulton.
Trouble is, it's WAY too big to fit on my Carry Freedom trailer. :lol:
2016-03-15 11.38.50.jpg
2016-03-15 11.40.10.jpg
Bike in Box.jpg
Wheels and Mudguards.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I intend today (perhaps) to pull Moulton completely apart and arrange it to see the absolute minimum volume I can "Tetris" it into.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it has passed my mind that a large hardshell case could be made less of a handful by

a) being split into (say) four sections rather than two and
b) being slightly tapered in at least two dimensions.

This way the pieces would be able to 'nest together' when the case is not in use, a bit like Russian dolls.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Brucey, I've already thought of that.
Two suitcases, one smaller than the other. I'm stuck with the big hard shell box though. Too big and clumsy for a train, and then what do I do with it!

Been outside scratching my (bald) head and measuring Moulton in bits. Smallest I can see the whole lot, is 81cm long X 58mm wide X 36cm high.

The wheels and mudguards and the handlebars are the main sticky-out problems. Without the wheels and mudguards, the arrangement is much easier .............. and a tad smaller too.

Just having a cuppa, then some more head scratching.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

not two cases one inside the other, four quarters of a single case that fit inside one another is what I meant. Not quite the same thing.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok, sorry, I see what you mean now. Great idea. You should make a set and patent it.

This was my first attempt. I moved the handlebars to get it down from the original 86cm to the 81cm long.
IMG_0297.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well .................................

I spent a happy hour or so head-scratching and thinking. I can reduce the overall size of the "package" by removing the chainset. Remember, the big ring is 61t so it makes for a large diameter. I can lose 4ins off the width by taking it off, and it's easy to remove and to replace as it's an Isis self-extracting system.

The maximum width of anything on my Carry Freedom trailer is 47cm. This gives about an inch clearance away from the wheels and it wouldn't give much away from the wheels whizzing round.

Trouble is, the minimum width when the chainset is removed is also 47cm.
Minimum length is 81cm as is set by the steering column as well at the overall length of the rear of the frame. I could make that less by removing the rear triangle - one bolt and four self-tappers.

Considering it will need removing wheels, mudguards, chainset, handlebars, splitting the frame and maybe removing the rear triangle as well, it's one heck of a palaver, not to mention re-building without the luxury of a work-stand ............. and I still don't know if I can get a suitcase wide enough for it all, but not too wide for the trailer.

I think I'm going to give the idea a miss and put it on the Too Difficult shelf. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hence the appeal of cardboard boxes, soft bags etc...?

Suggestion; would it be possible to make a strapped bundle which has (knock resistant) 'hard points' on the outside, and then to clad the bundle in something like a correx shell? In normal handling the 'hard points' would bear the load, whilst other knocks and scrapes are deterred by the correx package. The package could be folded up, carried and re-used?

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:hence the appeal of cardboard boxes, soft bags etc...?

Suggestion; would it be possible to make a strapped bundle which has (knock resistant) 'hard points' on the outside, and then to clad the bundle in something like a correx shell? In normal handling the 'hard points' would bear the load, whilst other knocks and scrapes are deterred by the correx package. The package could be folded up, carried and re-used?
Back to the drawing board. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I was following that girl on Strava who broke the record for the most miles in a year in the UK. After she got the record she went to Greece and corfu with a bike that fitted into a case, when she landed at the airport the case turned into a trailer. Thin it was called Airmanal bike or something?
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

philvantwo wrote:I was following that girl on Strava who broke the record for the most miles in a year in the UK. After she got the record she went to Greece and corfu with a bike that fitted into a case, when she landed at the airport the case turned into a trailer. Thin it was called Airmanal bike or something?

Airnimal I think.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!