** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:You can always tell johny foreigner from natives in my local supermarkets as they fill their trollys with bottled water - Thames Water in particular beat many so called pure bottled waters for purity in a large survey some time ago
I think I've mentioned this before, but I use bottled water (cheapo supermarket stuff) for one purpose and one purpose only: mixed in with flour to 'feed' my sourdough starter. Having 'killed' earlier batches of starter after topping up with tap water, I suspected that it was the chlorine in the latter that did for them....

To be honest, I think I could get away with using rainwater from the garden, for this purpose. Remember, the starter is never going to be consumed raw: the bread goes in the oven at 200C before it gets eaten. Should kill off any nasty bugs!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:You can always tell johny foreigner from natives in my local supermarkets as they fill their trollys with bottled water - Thames Water in particular beat many so called pure bottled waters for purity in a large survey some time ago
I think I've mentioned this before, but I use bottled water (cheapo supermarket stuff) for one purpose and one purpose only: mixed in with flour to 'feed' my sourdough starter. Having 'killed' earlier batches of starter after topping up with tap water, I suspected that it was the chlorine in the latter that did for them....

To be honest, I think I could get away with using rainwater from the garden, for this purpose. Remember, the starter is never going to be consumed raw: the bread goes in the oven at 200C before it gets eaten. Should kill off any nasty bugs!

chlorine in tab water? surly not? though I wonder whats in many bottled spring waters.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:chlorine in tab water? surly not? though I wonder whats in many bottled spring waters.
So do I - but it seems to work. And you can read the label on the bottle, if there is one.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:chlorine in tab water? surly not? though I wonder whats in many bottled spring waters.
So do I - but it seems to work. And you can read the label on the bottle, if there is one.

You might be able use a neutraliser or filter? Like the brita water filters? The ones with activated carbon are supposed to remove chlorine.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

oh so tap water does have Chlorine in it

"Treating drinking water with chlorine poses no risk to health. If you’re concerned about the taste then a good way to let the chlorine evaporate is to fill a jug with water and refrigerate it overnight. Water kept like this should be treated as a perishable food and be consumed within 24 hours.

Domestic water filters or jug filters (both of which can contain activated carbon) can be used to remove chlorine from tap water. These filters should be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. There is no reason to use either type of filter on health grounds, as tap water containing chlorine is perfectly safe to drink"

Thames Water

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/help-and-advice/water-quality/whats-in-your-water/taste-smell-and-appearance

seems like they have an answer to every question other than " why are there dead rats in my water?"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Stories like this from the BBC are realy interesting --

Mansa Musa: The richest man who ever lived
..he still died...where is it all now? must be some where?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47379458
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so a simple question

why are CREAM CRACKERS called that?

since you eat them with cheese I would have thought CHEESE CRACKERS
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:so a simple question

Some things just shouldn't be questioned :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

mercalia wrote:oh so tap water does have Chlorine in it

"Treating drinking water with chlorine poses no risk to health.
https://www.thameswater.co.uk/help-and-advice/water-quality/whats-in-your-water/taste-smell-and-appearance
seems like they have an answer to every question other than " why are there dead rats in my water?"

Chlorine = bleach. I'm not sure that I want to drink diluted bleach. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Bottled water with a ph of less than 7 should be banned. Xylitol should be added to tap water supplies, that would drastically cut mouth butchery, infuriate most dentists and save the population a fortune.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

cycleruk wrote:
mercalia wrote:oh so tap water does have Chlorine in it

"Treating drinking water with chlorine poses no risk to health.

Chlorine = bleach. I'm not sure that I want to drink diluted bleach. :?

It's been that way since Victorian times. Some other countries are moving to membrane and sand filtration, carbon and UV treatment, etc. However, that requires a distribution network that is new, clean and will not reintroduce contamination. The UK does not have that. Chlorine has the advantage of staying in the water and countering microbiological contamination throughout the network.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting answer to that. Wiki's your friend.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Interesting answer to that. Wiki's your friend.

ah yes and also WATER BISCUITS because their only ingredients are flour and water, a dsecendant of the hard biscuits used by navies
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The thread for Rants Bleats & Odds and Sods **

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The York Rally/Knavesmire has a 'huge car park', I guess it is big *and* is suitable for big vehicles, Minus One
Are the spaces wider than normal? :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I last ate one in 1993 at a party. It was capped by a slice of dodgy salami of the Extremely Pink kind. The experience has not persuaded me, though, that Cream Crackers should be called Dodgy Salami Crackers. Traditional names are comforting, even if their semantic and etymology are obscure.

The expression "cream-crackered" (meaning a knackered gubbins) has always appealed, perhaps because of the alliteration, which stimulates an obscure circuit in my wetware. "A cream-crackered cassette": that is a nice phrase for a worn and sloppy cog-collection, eh?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes