Halogen / LED Bulb Interchangeably

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Carlton green

Halogen / LED Bulb Interchangeably

Post by Carlton green »

I’m lucky enough to have more than one bike, one of my bikes uses battery lights and the other one uses a tyre driven (rim) ‘Dynamo’ to power a traditional filament type bulb. Both types of light work well enough for my intended purposes, but I’m wondering about a cheap upgrade to the Dynamo powered lights.

Is it possible and practical to change the standard halogen bulb in my front light to some LED version and if so where are they available? For what it’s worth I suspect that the halogen bulb’s filament is positioned to interact with the lamps reflector, but I don’t actually know whether or not that is of overriding importance. The rear light bulb is seemingly easy enough to replace with an LED.

These look helpful but how do they work in practices? http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html#anchor78877
Example of traditional Halogen Bulb: https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/-brompton- ... ulbfh.html
andrew_s

Re: Halogen / LED Bulb Interchangeably

Post by andrew_s »

The various Reflectalite LED bulbs are the way to go if you want to convert your existing lights.
In general, they will be brighter than the original halogen bulbs, but may well not be as well focussed, the lights being designed for a halogen bulb rather than an LED.

Buy from this site, linked from the Reflectalite page: http://www.bikeco.co.uk/index.php?mod=products&cat=20

Do consider the cost of the Reflectalite bulbs vs replacement lights, and also that if you don't convert, replacement halogen bulbs are around £6 a go, should be replaced annually, and are getting harder to find. Note also that the availability of the LED replacement bulbs is likely to become worse rather than better.

Modern LED lights will be brighter, and give a better beam shape.
rjb

Post by rjb »

quite a lot of information in here if you have the time. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17084 :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

get a cheap led front light like the AXA Pico30 for the bottle dyno. I have one and it it does a good job. regarding light that use leds - With the Pico30 you will notice it has a magniying glass that focuses the beam - your halogen lights wont have this so using a led bulb as said wont have the same beam pattern.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AXA-Pico-30- ... pF9MiDDRGg

They used to come in a variety of versions. The simplest with no switch for a bottle dyno but probably hard to find these days. The one above has a switch ( you dont need to use ) but has the virtue of 2 captive leads one to the bottle dyno and one to a rear light.

this one from Germany has no switch

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Headlig ... SwxNBcqxcX
gaz

Post by gaz »

You may also find this thread helpful.

IMO switching to modern LED lamps is a better way forward, particularly for front lighting.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

gaz wrote:You may also find this thread helpful.

IMO switching to modern LED lamps is a better way forward, particularly for front lighting.

Agree: LED's are far superior in terms of lighting quality and longevity.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Many thanks for the posts above, what a really wonderful forum this is. :D I’ve certainly got a few ways forward to consider, each with their merits. :D

I was surprised at the price of the LED bulbs (£12) - I’ve bought LED battery front lamps for less - and replacement halogen bulbs aren’t cheap either (about £7). A purpose built new Dynamo lamp for around £18 seems relatively reasonable valve and will give the best end result, but then I have to add in the fitting hassle - Sod’s law says it will take time and it won’t be a straightforward swop. As an aside I remember why I fitted battery lamps now (they were dead easy to fit). The basic battery lights fitted to my other bike are there for and fine for occasional use in lighted areas, but they aren’t ideal for dark nights down country lanes.

I’m wondering whether to fit an expensive LED bulb to the Dynamo rear light (for enhanced visibility), leave it as is, or fit an additional battery powered rear light. Battery powered rear lights cost little, the batteries typically last a long time and the light stays on when the bike stops.

The front light I’m using at the moment has a voltage limiter in it. I’m wondering whether the alternative LED front light (AXA Pico 30) has one or not, one is needed to control the voltage to the rear (filament type) light as otherwise it will have a shortened life.

Thank you all again for your help, it’s much appreciated.
Last edited by Carlton green on 24 Jun 2019, 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Carlton green wrote:I’m wondering whether to fit an expensive LED bulb to the Dynamo rear light (for enhanced visibility), ...

My experience of the 0.5W Reflectalite rear LED was positive. It's no longer available and I'd not want a 1W rear lamp. IMO upgrade to a modern LED rear lamp, add a battery back up if you feel it is appropriate.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
jb

Post by jb »

A well fitted dynamo light is better for an occasional use bike especially if your benighted unexpectedly, as a battery lamp would either be flat or still in the draw back home.

Nearly all decent rear LED lights give you a few minutes grace when stopped.
Cheers
J Bro
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Carlton green wrote:Many thanks for the posts above, what a really wonderful forum this is. :D I’ve certainly got a few ways forward to consider, each with their merits. :D

I was surprised at the price of the LED bulbs (£12) - I’ve bought LED battery front lamps for less - and replacement halogen bulbs aren’t cheap either (about £7). A purpose built new Dynamo lamp for around £18 seems relatively reasonable valve and will give the best end result, but then I have to add in the fitting hassle - Sod’s law says it will take time and it won’t be a straightforward swop. As an aside I remember why I fitted battery lamps now (they were dead easy to fit). The basic battery lights fitted to my other bike are there for and fine for occasional use in lighted areas, but they aren’t ideal for dark nights down country lanes.

I’m wondering whether to fit an expensive LED bulb to the Dynamo rear light (for enhanced visibility), leave it as is, or fit an additional battery powered rear light. Battery powered rear lights cost little, the batteries typically last a long time and the light stays on when the bike stops.

The front light I’m using at the moment has a voltage limiter in it. I’m wondering whether the alternative LED front light (AXA Pico 30) has one or not, one is needed to control the voltage to the rear (filament type) light as otherwise it will have a shortened life.

Thank you all again for your help, it’s much appreciated.

well re the AXA Pico 30, if you got the switch one with the captive cable to a rear light, it would presumably have some kind of protection if needed for a rear LED light, goodness knows if you want to use a halogen rear dyno light whether the requirements are different. I Have the Pico30 and use with a led rear light both attached to my B&M bottle using the captive cables of the front light. Most led rear lights have some kind of stand-function ie they stay on for 30+ seconds while stationary. The captive cable is only short with a tiny press fit plug on it ( cant remember what you call them ). I get the impression that AXA Pico 30 maybe be discontinued just remaining stock eg

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/ax ... ont-light/

The nice thing about it is that is TINY but illuminates the road very well with a just a little spill over sideways
B&M are another make that could be looked into but they are more like £30 for the same power

what ever you do you should have a spare battery light backup in case the wiring breaks some where ( has happened to me)