York Rally 2019: 22-23 June

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
bikepete

Re: York Rally 2019: 22-23 June

Postby bikepete » 28 May 2019, 5:09pm

SATURDAY NIGHT MUSIC UPDATE!

The Foresters, the Rally’s traditional Saturday evening band for many decades, retired in late 2018 and have now sadly disbanded. We thank them for their many fine performances at the Rally – they will be much missed!

Now for the York Rally 2019 we are delighted to welcome country-folk band "American Routes", featuring Irene and Brian Hume, legends of the north-eastern music scene who with Prelude had a '70s smash hit with After the Goldrush: see them perform it below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Taxuott5s

Please make them very welcome, from 7:30 pm on Saturday 22nd June at the York Rally 2019!

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 9 Jun 2019, 10:16am

Just a quick note that with two weeks to go, just about everything is finalised and we're looking forward to meeting everyone again in York!

Among other things we've finalised the rides schedule, now including a retro ride for fans of classic steel cycles:

For all the latest update, please see our latest newsletter - to receive future editions, please sign up here.

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 19 Jun 2019, 7:47am

First volunteers and marquee contractors go on site today!

It looks like we've been incredibly lucky with the weather again - it should be dry for the whole Rally weekend, and some good chances of sunshine!

Online campsite bookings are now closed, but we have plenty of room so please just turn up and pay on the day!

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Jun 2019, 7:41am

The rally has a huge car park, TDC raises it's ugly head again, what can be done? Does the Bicycling Bishop have an opinion?
If I were going I should take the train and leave my bike at home, there is plenty to do and see, and of course there are far too many cycles on the trains
Last edited by brynpoeth on 23 Jun 2019, 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

PH

Postby PH » 23 Jun 2019, 2:46pm

Work commitments meant a shorter than usual visit for me, train up, a few hours there and ride home.
Plenty going on, a real credit to the organisers, and well done for booking the weather :wink:
My plan to leave the panniers at home to discourage spending didn't work, it just meant riding back with bits tied all over the bike. Spa as usual had the bulk of my money, rally only prices on several items and some stuff that isn't on the website. Plenty of other stalls with old and new, several interesting exhibitions, live music even in the morning, good selection of catering, all in all a good event and I regret not having longer to spend there.
Seemed to be plenty of people about and riding away in the afternoon I saw lots of groups heading back. Each year since the new organisers took over it has more and more of a rally feel to it, where as that's something I felt lacking previously.
I'm looking forward to next year and will make sure I can spend longer, many thanks to all those whose hard work makes it possible.

Campag

Postby Campag » 23 Jun 2019, 7:34pm

Great weekend. Obviously we were lucky with the weather, other things that could be controlled were spot on. Catching up with friends; selection of rides (I did the retro ride on Saturday on my 1964 Moulton); good food and beer on site; bargains in the trade stands and saddlebag sale; interesting bikes in the trade show, vintage display and the trike club. And all done by volunteers and visitor / friends contributions. :D

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 23 Jun 2019, 7:37pm

Church service? Lantern lectures?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 25 Jun 2019, 2:41pm

brynpoeth wrote:The rally has a huge car park, TDC raises it's ugly head again, what can be done? Does the Bicycling Bishop have an opinion?
If I were going I should take the train and leave my bike at home, there is plenty to do and see, and of course there are far too many cycles on the trains

TDC? Top dead centre? Of course the rally has a huge car park - it's held on the Knavesmire a large venue for horse racing which may have to accommodate many hundreds of vehicles on race days.
One option used by a lot of rally goers is to cycle there and back.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Jun 2019, 6:01am

I should like to read more reports from people who were there

Steady rider

Postby Steady rider » 26 Jun 2019, 11:11am

i think Paul Touhy was there, so perhaps he will give it a mention in Cycle. Did Cycling UK have a stall?

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 26 Jun 2019, 11:55am

Steady rider wrote:i think Paul Touhy was there, so perhaps he will give it a mention in Cycle. Did Cycling UK have a stall?

I have my doubts as he was in Les Bauges near Annecy on the 23rd June.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 9 Jul 2019, 4:48pm

Belatedly, a brief post-Rally update!

First, of course, many thanks to all whose participation helped make the 2019 York Rally another safe and enjoyable event!

Second, many thanks to all who sent in pictures so far. With our usual photographer away this year we're relying on visitor images to fill the gap... like this colourful one from Paul Dunn:

There are already many enjoyable images in the photos sent in to date, as you'll see here:

http://yorkrally.org/york-rally-2019/

But in particular, we'd love to see any images you may have of the Quiz and of the new Saturday evening band. Please just follow the link above for details of how to send yours in!

Finally for now, a note that the next York Rally planning meeting will be from 10AM on the 21st September 2019 at the Church Hall at St Chad's on the Knavesmire, Campleshon Road, York. As ever, all are welcome! Please just let us know if you would like a lift from the railway station...