Handlebars for arthritic hands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: Handlebars for arthritic hands

Post by The utility cyclist »

LollyKat wrote:I used to use these when I rode a flat bar bike:

They are made of layers of soft rubber and absorb shocks really well. I found them really comfortable and preferred them to the Ergons above, which didn't have enough 'give' in them for me.

Me too, in fact I've been using the same pair for the last 10 years now on my Spesh Globe Pro. As per earlier in the thread, on longer rides I have rested the pad of my hand on the grips as part of the keeping hands from getting tired/in same position routine. You can also slightly splay your hand outward a bit resting on the pad of your hand so opening up the position which means less stress on shoulders IME. Also you're not having to grip with thumb or forefinger and can relax them.

I find it easy enough to steer/keep control with just the flats of your hand and fingers are still within easy reach of brake lever should you need to use them.

Another method I used was to triple wrap with nice bar tape, I actually did this for my sons grandfather on a walking stick, it meant you could add as many layers as needed and in certain segments to fit to the hand shape/size and have cushioning where you need it most, for myself I did this on my Porsche Bike R when I converted it to flat bar (see below)
Oh and getting a carbon fibre bar will help IMHO, the flexibility in the bar aids comfort over a rigid alu or steel bar, every bike now has to have carbon bars, not for the weight saving but for the extra comfort/give it brings.
Attachments
Porsche front view (3).jpg
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Get your claim in for some commission :D Marketing are watching from Planet X
BFCB7470-2E9C-49E9-9F9A-76D46F0AD8B2.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:Get your claim in for some commission :D Marketing are watching from Planet X
BFCB7470-2E9C-49E9-9F9A-76D46F0AD8B2.jpeg

I didn't know I had so much influence :shock: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden