Bar tape in hot weather

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pq

Bar tape in hot weather

Post by pq »

I live in the south of France and we're having a heatwave at the moment. Actually, just normal summer temperatures here cause this problem. I fit my bar tape as, I think, everyone does. Wind it round the bars and finish with electrical tape. The problem is that the summer heat melts the glue, the tape comes unraveled and so does my bar tape. So does anyone have a clever idea for something I can use to finish wrapping my bars which won't fail in the heat?

Thanks.
One link to your website is enough. G
Jamesh

Re: Bar tape in hot weather

Post by Jamesh »

Duck tape which is also available in 25mm width?

Or cut down from the more usual 50mm width to suit.

Cheers James
botty

Post by botty »

Use string. See from about 2 minutes 45 sec in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8DcaOJzrA
Boogaloo

Post by Boogaloo »

I find cheaper electrical tape does this even over here (UK).
I now use 3M which is much better but I haven't tested it in very hot temps.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

A few dot's of superglue can be useful in extreme circumstances
robc02

Post by robc02 »

You used to be able to buy tape, often in lengths of a roll in the bike shop, that had no glue at all. The technique was to start at the top and wind the tape tightly, working towards the bottom, where it was tucked into the end of the bar and retained by and end plug.

I am sure the same method would work even with modern tape with a glue strip. The key to stopping it unravelling was to wind it tightly. As long as the melting glue doesn't act as a lubricant you should be OK.
robgul

Post by robgul »

When I fit bar tape to bars I fit a strip strong double sided tape (Gorilla tape) along the length of the top of the bars from just above the brake hoods to about 2cm from where the end of the wrapped tape would be - and then wrap the bar tape as normal, finished with electrical tape OR (and you have to fit them before the brake levers) - silicone/rubber ferrules that Rose sell, they fit over the electrical tape and finish the tape neatly and reduce the risk of unravelling

The d/s tape grips the wrapped tape and stops it moving - especially at the curve above the hoods where you tend to ride with hands quite a lot.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
RickH

Post by RickH »

As well as Rob's tape trick Park Tools have some instructions that includes reversing the direction of the tape above & below the brake levers so that the natural action of your hands tends to tighten rather than loosen the tape. The YouTube video in the link is probably easier to follow than the written instructions.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I use some heat-shrink (electrical wiring accessory) which my local sales place has in (ISTR) 30mm diameter , which I put about a 35mm length of onto each side of the bar near the stem, before putting on brake levers. I then wrap tape in the usual way from end of bar towards centre, and the heat shrink it then placed in position partly over the finish of the tape and heated carefully/quickly with heatgun to shrink it on. You may be able to dispense with the heatgun in your present heatwave :wink:
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

look for the park tools video on you tube. There is a technique of using a piece of off cut spoke - heated over a flame ( cig lighter ) then touching the Elec tape to seal it onto the bar tape.....Worked for me in Majorca two years ago in 35 degree heat - bar tape stayed put
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Shoe Goo keeps it stuck down
robgul

Post by robgul »

fastpedaller wrote:I use some heat-shrink (electrical wiring accessory) which my local sales place has in (ISTR) 30mm diameter , which I put about a 35mm length of onto each side of the bar near the stem, before putting on brake levers. I then wrap tape in the usual way from end of bar towards centre, and the heat shrink it then placed in position partly over the finish of the tape and heated carefully/quickly with heatgun to shrink it on. You may be able to dispense with the heatgun in your present heatwave :wink:

The same concept can be used with a length of old inner tube rolled onto the bars before the brake levers are fitted - it works but wore out quite quickly.

The silicone rings from Rose that I mentioned have lasted for years on my bikes - even when rolling them back to fit new bar tape and then refit - https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/xtreme-sili ... hape=black - only downside is the delivery cost unless you're buying more stuff from Herr Rose (but whyever not :D )

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Another possibility is self-amalgamating tape.
Wrap it tightly (stretching it) with lots of turns, and after a while the various layers will fuse together into a seamless layer.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

andrew_s wrote:Another possibility is self-amalgamating tape.
Wrap it tightly (stretching it) with lots of turns, and after a while the various layers will fuse together into a seamless layer.

That's a good idea - with the added advantage (over the heat shrink) that it can be put on after the bar tape.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

RickH wrote:As well as Rob's tape trick Park Tools have some instructions that includes reversing the direction of the tape above & below the brake levers so that the natural action of your hands tends to tighten rather than loosen the tape. The YouTube video in the link is probably easier to follow than the written instructions.

I also follow this method, no adhesive required. I like how I can rewrap if needed, for example if fitting new cables.

Aren't there silicone rings that you can fit to secure the end?