Language pedants

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bez

Re: Language pedants

Post by Bez »

hodge wrote:A proofreader would place a plural possessive apostrophe after the s, in folks ie - folks' written language - and suggest the closed spelling 'proofread' rather than 'proof read', as the currently accepted norm. :wink:

Hopefully they'd also sort out the comma in the first sentence, and then come back to fix your placement of dashes and commas. And then a typographer would give you his best Paddington Stare for the use of hyphens instead of dashes.

Can of worms? Don't mind if I do. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

And aNother thinG[.
9ikj98ijmlvk\
Don't try typing when you nbhv,=]]. have a five month old 8glkhv,mn puppy on your lap \
≥/;P[OL0P-=≥L.,;P- M 0-][
'?÷≥;L;P[
, HU8G
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bez wrote:
hodge wrote:A proofreader would place a plural possessive apostrophe after the s, in folks ie - folks' written language - and suggest the closed spelling 'proofread' rather than 'proof read', as the currently accepted norm. :wink:

Hopefully they'd also sort out the comma in the first sentence, and then come back to fix your placement of dashes and commas. And then a typographer would give you his best Paddington Stare for the use of hyphens instead of dashes.

No, the designer (as they call typesetters now) would just replace them as needed - they break up every line anyway to force kerning etc...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hodge

Post by hodge »

Bez wrote:

Yes, I concur, it is a can of worms, which, really, is the point I was trying to make. My first comma is redundant, I agree, don't know what it's doing there, it's an impostor. We should remove it and put it after your very first word which is crying out for one :wink:
slowster

Post by slowster »

hodge wrote:
Bez wrote:

Yes, I concur, it is a can of worms, which, really, is the point I was trying to make. My first comma is redundant, I agree, don't know what it's doing there, it's an impostor. We should remove it and put it after your very first word which is crying out for one :wink:

Hopefully that would not be necessary, because you would instead replace "Hopefully" with the more correct "It is to be hoped that".
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
merseymouth wrote:Hi folk, I left school with swimming certificates and a 100% attendance record, "I Was There"! MM

Ha, 25 yards without touching the sides, I got one of them :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I was reading an article about a Celtic Chariot find in S.Wales.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48766001

The last sentence, a quote, struck me as a little ambiguous; as a written sentence.
I added commas in the second copy/paste.

The effect is quite subtle yet within that subtlety lies the fascination of conveyed meaning with all it's facets.
Miss it and you miss the point, so to speak!
-------
"By studying these artefacts we hope to learn more about a time when great change in the shape of the Roman Empire was sweeping across Wales."
"By studying these artefacts we hope to learn more about a time when great change, in the shape of the Roman Empire, was sweeping across Wales."
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Natural Ankling :x , I actually got 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and mile certificates 8) .
I would swim 3 miles a day just for fun. Only perforated eardrums put an end to that, now my doctor says I must drown if I find myself out of my depth :roll: . IGICB MM
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I was never a very good swimmer, afraid of the water up to the age of nine.
So took up subAqua later in life.
Most I would swim would be 1 mile a week one visit, swam in the same lane as a ultraendurance Swimmer.
He swam crawl I never progressed beyond Sidestoke.
Got some very basic tuition and moved on to the crawl, Within a short while I could match pace of the ultraendurance Swimmer, but only for one Length, I had to copy his style exactly.
But I don't float very well, hence me never liking it that much.
Developed artery thrombosis whilst in hospital, Several years later and operation to correct a blockage, 30 years later it has returned.
On leaving hospital having a drink with my mate, I hold my breath for three minutes 20 seconds .
Elevated hempcrate level (Like Doping) no doubt, Direct result of splenectomy.
I should've been on blood thinner, although 35 years ago nearly 40 the problem was not well known.
even today you can be overlooked by the medical profession.

https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2094480

(Typed with speech, auto spelling and Grammar a bit dumb)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:Phone-ins are dangerous, or at least they were when I used to listen about 15 years ago. I used to drive a lot and that meant JY and Any Answers. Listening and driving were a potentially lethal combination. I have never listened to JV and not AA for years.

Radio 3 or Classic FM now.

Radio 3 - an island of interesting or even inspiring musical culture in The Sea of Cacophony that is the modern mass musical media.

Classic FM - a home for cloying-voiced smarmers playing snippets and snappets of this and that, often the stuff that is musical jelly babies with the odd sherbet fizz.

I am a snob so prefer the former and cannot bear the latter. Radio 3 has the added ingredient of articulate presenters with an often wide erudition in the musical matters. Classic FM only has the descendants of Uriah Heep, oozing unctuously their cliched clots of creamy-voiced chrism.

Now and then there are Radio 3 interviews with performers, composers, conductors and many other of the musical world, who present great insights, sometimes in interesting accents sporting just as interesting grammaticals.

Only one aspect detracts from the pleasant experience of an afternoon of Radio 3 in the woodworking shed - the dreary and doleful groans and dirges from the High Church fellows. Gawd, they're depressing with their miserable hymns and admonitions concerning our human corruption along with the likely reward in the hot place!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:It's amazing what one can do with the English language.
I passed an English Literature exam without reading one book.
I recounted some of the comments from discussions in the classroom and wrote a load of waffle.

Some may say nothing's changed. :mrgreen:

I have a degree in waffle and could easily get a Masters in Woffle. These are important subjects, as anyone who reads a newspap will know!

What I really wanted to do was to study Advanced Pugeling, which is a few grades above mere waffle and woffle, requiring the ability to write perfectly correct grammar with irrefutable and unambiguous semantics and syntax, whilst saying absolutely nothing, at great and convincing length, employing large numbers of very long sentences inclusive of a lot of punctuation. I am practicing the techniques here, just in case someone should offer me a bursary to attend a College of Pugeling.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Well, as Lampeter college seems to be in its death throes, perhaps you could suggest it as a new course and we could both enrol.
Though frankly (or should that be brianly) I haven't a clue wot I'd be studying. :)