James's 8 day lejog 28th June - 7th July.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jamesh

James's 8 day lejog 28th June - 7th July.

Post by Jamesh »

Rather than put my ride details on the Mick fast but safe thread which I started I thought would start a new thread logging my prep, ride and post ride observations.

Started packing tonight still more to do....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yikrC6zBHntNTKr59

Two pairs of shorts or one? I had intended on a pair of shorts and a pair of tights but am wondering if two shorts might be better idea?

Two jerseys? Which I might not wear much looking at the forecast!

What do you guys do pre tour routine wise.

When I run marathons I have a pretty well worked out routine diet organisation and mindfulness wise. What do you seasoned tourers do?

Cheers James
mnichols

Re: James's 8 day lejog 28th June - 7th July.

Post by mnichols »

Jamesh wrote:Rather than put my ride details on the Mick fast but safe thread which I started I thought would start a new thread logging my prep, ride and post ride observations.

Started packing tonight still more to do....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yikrC6zBHntNTKr59

Two pairs of shorts or one? I had intended on a pair of shorts and a pair of tights but am wondering if two shorts might be better idea?

I used to take two but now take one, because I always ended up with a favourite pair that I wore every day and the other would come home unused.

Jamesh wrote:Two jerseys? Which I might not wear much looking at the forecast!

I take two but I don't take a casual shirt, so I wear one in the day, wash it as soon as I get in, leave it to dry, put on the second shirt for the evening, and then repeat. I take two different weights, one merino and one polyester and choose each day based on the weather. If I'm touring somewhere hot I take one shirt and two plain white base layers. I then wear the base layers in the evening.

Jamesh wrote:What do you guys do pre tour routine wise.

When I run marathons I have a pretty well worked out routine diet organisation and mindfulness wise. What do you seasoned tourers do?

About a week before the trip I stop cycling, this is on the basis that I can't make any improvements to my fitness in a week, but I can get injured, fatigued or over-trained. So the week before I chill out, do some yoga, take the dog for a walk and relax.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thanks for the informative reply.

I could ditch the tights and buy a pair if needed in Scotland?!!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Overshoes? Half a dozen tubes of stuff?
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Hi James,

Is your room always that much of a mess? :P

Wash and wear is my maxim whatever kind of trip I am doing. Although the caveat is it all depends on the dryness of the environment. For a wet/damp climate such as Britain, drying might present an issue. Anyway, take two of everything. Lightweight synthetic material really doesn't weigh much and you'll be glad of the chance to wear something dry that doesn't smell of the latrine. :lol:

Ken.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Overshoes for the torrential heatwave that looks like coming north!!!

Prob leave at home or post to Ellesmere port!

Tubes of stuff for every situation!!!

Sun lotion, e45, shower gel, bike lube, can't cream etc.

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Have a great ride James. :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

Other than the table cloth I can't make our what much of it is.
Personally I would make a trip to the Pound shop and get some small plastic bottles designed for taking fluids on planes. I can then carry a 100 ml bottle of sun cream, sudacreme and travel wash or whatever else those tubs are. I would also start a tube of tooth paste so I only take 8 day's worth. If you are B and B ing do you need shower gel, usually provided.
With regards to shorts and jerseys, if a wore the same Jersey for a month without washing it other than smelling it wouldn't be a problem. If I was to wear the same pair of shorts two days running without washing them or washed them and put them on damp in the morning I would risk my backside not being in good condition after 100 miles plus of riding. If I was touring in Southern Europe during summer then shorts probably would dry overnight, in the UK it might be asking a lot.
I certainly wouldn't take tights, when I riding on mountains (Alps, Pyrenees etc) then leg warmers will do for descents.
I take a couple of sort sleeved running tops that dry really quickly. wear one for a couple of days the evening as a tee shirt then wear it a couple of days as a base layer.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A pair of knee or leg warmers converts shorts into longs with much less packing space. Arm warmers do the same with a short sleeve jersey.

Being the heretic I am, I wear thin, unpadded lycra undershorts under my cycling shorts. (I started wearing them under running shorts when I did a bit of running back in 2006/2007 - while doing very little cycling - & found I suffered from chaffing from my inner thighs rubbing against each other as I ran.) you can pack around 6 pairs of undershorts in the space 1 pair of shorts take up.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

One day to go....
I cut up a new and unused AA map yesterday evening.
Route highlighted ready to roll.
Top tube bag Velcroed to top tube as it used to slide from one side to other.
Bearing lubed.
Final packing tonight
Ready to roll!

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Bearing lubed

Bottom bracket cleaned out and lubed?

Have tool and know how to replace link in chain?

Have a spare derailleur hanger?

You'll be fine. Have a wonderful ride. :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

On train to lands end only when I looked at ETA of 10.38 did I realise the hostel closes at 10pm help....

No where reasonable to stay! Might be overnight ride!!!

"Things can only get better" song comes to mind!!

Cheers James
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Jamesh wrote:On train to lands end only when I looked at ETA of 10.38 did I realise the hostel closes at 10pm help....

No where reasonable to stay! Might be overnight ride!!!

"Things can only get better" song comes to mind!!

Cheers James

Ah, it's all part of the fun! It might take a while, but there's a funny story in there somewhere! :D

Try calling. I've had success in the past with hostels and being given access codes or directions to a key. They're more used to this kind of thing than you are.

Anyways, best of luck on your adventure!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sorted staying at the cohort hostel in st Ives.

backpackers and yha were very unhelpful.

Taxi to lands end I think :D

Anyone out for a ride through Cornwall / devon are more than welcome to join me!

Pm me!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Hope you remembered your bike!! :roll: