Ortler Pedelec Review

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
al_yrpal

Ortler Pedelec Review

Post by al_yrpal »

After recently moving to Devon my cycling horizons became seriously compromised. I havent had to get off and walk in years, but a plethora of 20%+ gradients around here made me do it. So, I thought Electric bike! After reading a few reviews and posts I decided to buy a Pedelec. The German manufacturer Ortler was mentioned on this forum as having been used as a hired bike in Austria. Bikester sells them here and a double discount on an Ortler Bozen E-Trekking Bike looked attractive at only £1500 with a Bosch Performance bottom bracket mounted drive. The bike looked to be a good choice for a bit of touring too. Disc brakes and 40mm tyres as standard and Suntour suspension forks too. Like most German bikes it came equipped with lights, mudguards, rack and kickstand. So, as a shot in the dark, I just ordered it. I reasoned that Germany with millions of bikes on its streets would make decent bikes, and I think I was right. This machine is the product of development and evolution.

My first visual impressions of this bike were very favourable. Sturdy frame design with extremely neat welds. Matt black finish with excellent matching to the black anodised bars and stem. It looks like a high quality solid steed with a strong frame to carry touring gear. It came well packed with accessories thoughtfully attached. At 22 kg including the battery it weighs about 8kg more than my Salsa Vaya tourer, but its a more solid bike. Comfy saddle, Shimano derailleur, with a generous 9 sprockets. The lower gears were not properly adjusted on receipt.
With the battery showing two bars I took my first ride on a Pedalec. Impression? Fantastic, unbelievably smooth, makes you feel like robot assisted Ridley in Alien . Four settings available on the bar mounted controller and display. Eco, Touring, Sport and Turbo. I think Touring will be my favourite setting, I dont need or want much assist, just something to help conquer the worst of the hills, after all part of the purpose of my cycling is to maintain my fitness. Just switch on and pedal and the electric assist kicks in seamlessly spiriting you along effortlessly. On Eco, the lowest setting theres a little feel of cogging but on the other settings the assist is smooooth. Or, you can just switch it off and pedal, the effort required was not too bad for a 22kg machine. No chainwheel and wearing jeans I didn't need cycle clips. With the gears you can set things to suit your desired peddling and power input. With the 30 to 60 mile range on a full charge I think that range anxiety is unlikely to be a problem. Around here there are dozens of hills 20% +. I dont think they will be a problem either.
5 stars for the Ortler….so far….

Thanks to Antbrewer for his recommendation.
Attachments
Ortler_Bozen_Performance_Damen_Trapez_schwarz_matt_[640x480].jpg
Last edited by al_yrpal on 27 Jun 2019, 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Re: Ortler Pedelec Review

Post by reohn2 »

Sounds like a good buy,what power rating and make is the battery?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Al
Forget my previous post,I've just checked bikesters site,it's Bosch 500watt battery pack.It's seems to be a great bike for the money,I'd b interested in a long term review when you've put some miles in on it.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

That's a lot of bike for £1500, especially given the quality. Enjoy!
John
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Welcome to Devon, and yes it is hilly.
I have a Cube ebike which is pretty similar to yours though be it a tad more expensive.
I can easily ride 50 miles on it even taking in some of the steepest hills that I would have struggled to get up even when I was healthy and younger.
Enjoy riding your bike.
Beauty will save the world.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

And al, in Devon we crimp our pasties at the side, I believe some of those odd Cornish folk crimp them on the top.
Beauty will save the world.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Vetus Ossa wrote:And al, in Devon we crimp our pasties at the side, I believe some of those odd Cornish folk crimp them on the top.

Erm no, lived in both counties now, and in Cornwall it's deffo crimp at the side. Devon varies but it's usually at the top. Our Fore Street butcher sells handmade side crimped Cornish pasties made in Silverton....Devon!

Slipped out for a 90 minute Pedelec ride today, about 17 really hilly miles with some stops, the bike performed wonderfully. Couldn't have done that without the motor. Judicious use of gears and degrees of assist meant I still got a great workout. Saw only 5 cars and a lorry and no other cyclists whatsoever...I wonder why!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Al,
I guess that was quite a gamble ordering the bike from Germany. I read through your post and thought perhaps I was the one that mentioned having hired the Ortler in Austria and then I saw you had mentioned my name at the end of your post so I knew it was me.

It does sound a very good bike indeed especially for the money compared to many of the myriad of choices out there when one starts to look.
I am really pleased to see you have good reports on this bike. A question if I may. If and when a problem ( hopefully not ) or a service is required where will that be done.?
I hope to go out to Austria at the end of July to celebrate my wife's 71st birthday and this will be an ideal opportunity to check out the Ortler Ebike range. We are not taking our bikes but we intend to hire them out there, My wife has a Pendleton Ebike here which she loves to bits and I am now considering one myself so I am very interested in your thoughts and experience.
Good luck and happy miles up those hills.
Anthony
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Anthony, just buy it, thats me! The hire story clinched it. But, it seems to have been an excellent choice.
Coincidently my old friend who lives 400 miles from me has just bought an almost identical bike! His is a Cube Hybrid Tour 500, the only difference seems to be that his has a crossbar and was a bit more expensive. As for servicing, I will look after that myself, at the moment I am not aware of anything I can do to the Bosch motor, I will have to investigate that.

I am riding a very hilly 15 mile route for fitness at the moment whilst a neighbour looks after my wife for an hour and a half. She has early stage dementia, I cant ride further although I would love to. The ride saps 2 bars from the battery, quite a lot for a short ride. There are lots of 1 in 5s and 1 in 4s around here. I have not seen any other cyclists...

Ortler seem to do a wide range of bikes with only small differences.

I am not impressed with EBikes with integrated batteries, I cant see why anyone would want them. Being able to remove the battery to charge it is convenient and a good security feature IMO. Do people want to hide the fact they are riding an Ebike?

Have fun in Austria

Al
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Al
You may find as the battery cycles in,after a few charges,you'll get better mileage per charge.
I agree about the batteries,removable are better allround IMO.
Enjoy the bike,it's seems like you're on a winner :D
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

20.7 miles in 90 minutes yesterday thats about 14mph. The route was flatish for 60% and very hilly for the remaining 40%. Given that my normal speed on a tourer is about 11 to 12mph, thats quite impressive. There are hundreds of empty single track roads around here and I am trying to learn the road system, the Pedelec is an ideal way to do it quickly whilst ensuring I get plenty of exercise. It seems strange that on an electric bike with the Bosch Purion display that there isnt a decent usb charging port. There is a port but its only 500ma. Its there to load software upgrades.
After someone mentioned it I looked at the Baddass website and noted the device that can be fitted over the wheel rotation sensor to fool the Bosch Drive into thinking you are only doing half speed thus allowing the drive to assist the bike up to an illegal 30mph. Dont think I want one of those...

Al