Cycle trailer for gardening tools

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tinpotflowers

Cycle trailer for gardening tools

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Help needed

I seeking a cycle trailers to carry my gardening tools to my allotment. I see there is wide range of prices .

It needs to be able connect by rear axle.

I am on a budget can anybody help?
Brucey

Re: Cycle trailer for gardening tools

Post by Brucey »

it might help if you say what size and weight is to be carried.

If you are just trying the idea out and not sure it'll be a long-term arrangement, there is something to be said for getting a cheap and/or used trailer; you can get something 'proper' later on if needs be. Cheap trailers appear on e-bay; they are not brilliant quality but they may do for occasional use.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The cheapest trailers are secondhand kiddy trailers.
Take the top cover off and mod the rest as needed to convert it to a cargo trailer.
If you leave the roll bar on, you may get away with strapping long handle tools upright against it to keep the load shorter.

Luck ....... :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

You might get lucky and find a suitable cargo trailer second-hand, I did. Picked mine up and upgraded the hitch for <£40.
TrailerLoad.png

If not, as said above, kiddy trailers do the job. Further modification is possible but not essential: http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert ... -cargo-ca/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

+1 for the one in the photo, my partner has used one for her gardening tools.
If resting forks/spades etc in (like the green handled cutters in the photo), its worth putting some old card board or some such to protect the fabric from the fork/spade.
Similar versions of that trailer (as good as identical) used to be available from different makes, all mounting on the rear wheel axle (QR/wheel nuts OK).
The trailer in the photo (if like my partners) folds flat and the wheels pop off with out any tools needed for compact storage.
used to be I think £125 new. If you need a used one, may be an ad in the wanted section might get you something.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW you quite easily tow (or adapt parts from) a golf trolley to make something that will haul a few gardening tools.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

Plenty of information on trailers in this forum even pics of mine made from a pushchair salvaged from a skip. :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14609
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=77175
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18003
viewtopic.php?t=14786
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
jonk

Post by jonk »

I use one of these for my tools. It’s been really good actually. Longer tools can be poked through the holes or bungeed to the sides and then I just stuck a big plastic box in it for the bits and pieces.

If you are near Worcestershire you could buy mine cheaply because I’m not using it at the moment.
pwa

Post by pwa »

How long are the tools? My own garden tools would not fit in a trailer. My hoe is almost as tall as me, and the rake isn't much shorter.

Is there nowhere you could safely leave a set of the longer tools at the allotment?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Before they became popular, we bought a second hand "kiddy trailer"

Used it for some 5 or so years for utility use, and even moved house with it.

One of the advantages of this type is that it has a cross member to the frame that holds the canopy

You can zip-tie some of these on to the cross member

This is then ideal for garden tools, the business end down and clip the handle in to hold it securely

There are quite often second-hand ones around for a few quid, and most have axle and /or stay fittings