Good cheap helmet

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby skyhawk » 29 Jun 2019, 4:17pm

Audax67 wrote:God's Holy Braces, why must every helmet-related post trigger page after page of helmet-related squabbles?

The bloke (or blokess) wants to buy a good cheap helmet. For God's sake tell him if you know one, otherwise go and grind your collective axes somewhere else. He's asking for help, not a repeat performance of the wearying old polemics that just won't go away.



You are PERFECT :) :) :)
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13904
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby gaz » 29 Jun 2019, 4:46pm

Audax67 wrote:God's Holy Braces, why must every helmet-related post trigger page after page of helmet-related squabbles?

This one didn't. The first three days made a reasonable job of helping the OP. It made them aware that there is little "safety" differential between helmets as they are all (more or less) built down to the same standard; making comfort, fit and possibly aesthetics the factors best governing his purchase.

Things then went quiet. I believe the OP probably had enough information to inform his choice, he certainly didn't post again looking for further insights.

Seven weeks later the thread was resurrected with a comment of:
skyhawk wrote:...I always laugh at the don't wear them brigade, ...

That's when it all went polystyrene hat shaped.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

rmurphy195
Posts: 1583
Joined: 20 May 2011, 11:23am
Location: South Birmingham

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby rmurphy195 » 29 Jun 2019, 9:26pm

skyhawk wrote:Is there such a thing as CHEAP safety ????

I always laugh at the don't wear them brigade, I have come off and wearing a helmet, thank you, and I am pleased that i did, it was not serious but I would have had cuts to the head I didn't have thanks to the headgear so I will thank you to remember we all have choices don't force opposite opinion

I would only fit the best tyres to my car, not retreads ?

That said I don't consider £45-50 cheap,

Finally remember there are people like me, and my son, autistic, who can come off, and other disabled when you make your anti helmet war, many like me feel safer with them and that alone is worth a lot as people like me would not even use a bike without one, there are other sides to this not just for and against but also WHY including emotional and psychological. NOTHING is black and white.

Apologies for sounding off


Totally agree - I've first-hand experience of a helmet reducing the injuries I received in an accident - non at all to my head, thankfully, the hat had the dents/scrapes/embedded paint from the edge of a windscreen instead of my bonce! (NB once the insurance claim was done, it took a lot of pounding with a brick to break the helmet)

To the O/P - I usually pay about £30 for mine, look out for sales in the bike shops (I'm assuming you don't want one for out-and-out downhilling) . The modern click-wheel adjustable is much more comfortable than the original hardshells, which got very hot in the summer. And don't forget to wear it propery, not pushed-back on your head or lopsided, otherwise it won't work as well in anger. I've found that one with a peak helps keep the rain and sun away from my eyes.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby skyhawk » 30 Jun 2019, 11:08am

Is it all down to cost though ???

I have two and I have tried many, from £80 to £10 which I wouldn't buy unless it had the correct safety markings for the UK.

It has to be 1. Comfort, no one will wear an uncomfortable helmet no matter how good, and 2. Ventilation, I sweat, some don't so I need good vents

I have in fact ended up with , MET, Giro AND Bell helmets.

I know I say wear a helmet and have always said that BUT................

When we are out for a cycle on a cycle path along the coast, not a road, nt off road, I don't wear one. I am a S L O W rider anyway, I managed 12mph this week :) :) :)

What about cycle gloves ?

Do people wear them.

I do, having come off three times over the years (slowly) it is the hand that hits the road and gets badly scraped
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48215
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby Mick F » 30 Jun 2019, 1:29pm

skyhawk wrote:.......... it is the hand that hits the road and gets badly scraped
In my experience of falling off it's the elbows and thighs that get hurt. Nothing else has touched the ground except once when I was a kid, I landed on my chin.

Look at this. I was doing over 30mph when I hit a deep pothole. The road was wet and running with water and the pothole couldn't be seen.
Head never got anywhere near the road, and the blood on my hands is from my elbow and thigh.
109_PICT0146_1.jpg
109_PICT0146_1.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Mick F. Cornwall

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby skyhawk » 30 Jun 2019, 2:07pm

Mick F wrote:
skyhawk wrote:.......... it is the hand that hits the road and gets badly scraped
In my experience of falling off it's the elbows and thighs that get hurt. Nothing else has touched the ground except once when I was a kid, I landed on my chin.

Look at this. I was doing over 30mph when I hit a deep pothole. The road was wet and running with water and the pothole couldn't be seen.
Head never got anywhere near the road, and the blood on my hands is from my elbow and thigh.109_PICT0146_1.jpg



Nasty,
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

User avatar
Wanlock Dod
Posts: 556
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 5:48pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby Wanlock Dod » 30 Jun 2019, 2:59pm

skyhawk wrote:...When we are out for a cycle on a cycle path along the coast, not a road, nt off road, I don't wear one. I am a S L O W rider anyway, I managed 12mph this week :) :) :)

What about cycle gloves ?

This is exactly the issue that reveals how bad we generally are at assessing risks. Riding at low speeds away from traffic are precisely the conditions that cycle helmets are designed for, and presumably under these circumstances you can expect the maximum benefit should you crash and hit your head. Of course lots of people tend to recognise that these situations (low speed, no traffic) are perfectly safe enough for cycling without any need for specialist protective equipment. Nobody is trying to suggest that helmets are particularly helpful if you are hit by a car, but it is riding in traffic that tends to make people want to wear a helmet. I know several committed helmet users who wouldn’t dream of wearing on whilst touring in The Netherlands where conditions are similar (low speed and generally separated from traffic) and virtually any incidents would be within the protective capabilities of a cycle helmet.

I do wear gloves when I’m being a cyclist, but not if I’m just being a person on a bike, although mostly for comfort. I can think of a couple of important differences between gloves and helmets in terms of the overall safety of cyclists. Some studies suggest that helmets encourage more risk taking, whereas I am not aware of any evidence to suggest that gloves do. Also, when cyclists wear helmets they send out quite a clear message that cycling is dangerous, and again I am not aware of any evidence that gloves send a similar message.

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby skyhawk » 30 Jun 2019, 4:19pm

Wanlock Dod wrote:
skyhawk wrote:...When we are out for a cycle on a cycle path along the coast, not a road, nt off road, I don't wear one. I am a S L O W rider anyway, I managed 12mph this week :) :) :)

What about cycle gloves ?

This is exactly the issue that reveals how bad we generally are at assessing risks. Riding at low speeds away from traffic are precisely the conditions that cycle helmets are designed for, and presumably under these circumstances you can expect the maximum benefit should you crash and hit your head. Of course lots of people tend to recognise that these situations (low speed, no traffic) are perfectly safe enough for cycling without any need for specialist protective equipment. Nobody is trying to suggest that helmets are particularly helpful if you are hit by a car, but it is riding in traffic that tends to make people want to wear a helmet. I know several committed helmet users who wouldn’t dream of wearing on whilst touring in The Netherlands where conditions are similar (low speed and generally separated from traffic) and virtually any incidents would be within the protective capabilities of a cycle helmet.

I do wear gloves when I’m being a cyclist, but not if I’m just being a person on a bike, although mostly for comfort. I can think of a couple of important differences between gloves and helmets in terms of the overall safety of cyclists. Some studies suggest that helmets encourage more risk taking, whereas I am not aware of any evidence to suggest that gloves do. Also, when cyclists wear helmets they send out quite a clear message that cycling is dangerous, and again I am not aware of any evidence that gloves send a similar message.


I know and you are right, I never went without a helmet once, I will get back into that again especially to encourage my son
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

Phil Fouracre
Posts: 817
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 12:16pm
Location: Deepest Somerset

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby Phil Fouracre » 30 Jun 2019, 6:56pm

Whoopee! Another helmet debate, I do love them. OP sort of sums it up, I want a ‘helmet to keep me safe’ but don’t want to spend any money!! A bit of a contradiction? sort of points out the complete absurdity of the helmet argument
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Mike Sales
Posts: 4447
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Jun 2019, 7:03pm

Phil Fouracre wrote:Whoopee! Another helmet debate, I do love them. OP sort of sums it up, I want a ‘helmet to keep me safe’ but don’t want to spend any money!! A bit of a contradiction? sort of points out the complete absurdity of the helmet argument


The less money spent on a helmet, the less money wasted.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11398
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 30 Jun 2019, 7:13pm

Hi,
Audax67 wrote:God's Holy Braces, why must every helmet-related post trigger page after page of helmet-related squabbles?

The bloke (or blokess) wants to buy a good cheap helmet. For God's sake tell him if you know one, otherwise go and grind your collective axes somewhere else. He's asking for help, not a repeat performance of the wearying old polemics that just won't go away.

You got there first!

There is no law in uk to wear one so take your pick.

It does seem sometimes that some posters are just here to pick someone to moan at because all their deaf so called friends have left the room.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3419
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby Oldjohnw » 30 Jun 2019, 7:23pm

I've often wondered why, since it is not compulsory in the UK to wear a helmet, and since to do so or to decline to do so is entirely voluntary, there is so much fuss.
John

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11398
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 30 Jun 2019, 7:31pm

Hi,
Oldjohnw wrote:I've often wondered why, since it is not compulsory in the UK to wear a helmet, and since to do so or to decline to do so is entirely voluntary, there is so much fuss.

Spot on :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4447
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Jun 2019, 7:49pm

Oldjohnw wrote:I've often wondered why, since it is not compulsory in the UK to wear a helmet, and since to do so or to decline to do so is entirely voluntary, there is so much fuss.


You are being disingenuous I suspect.

You must be aware of campaigners who would like to make helmets mandatory.
There have been attempts in parliament to make wearing the law.
Several countries already have laws.
The pressure to persuade us into helmets is powerful.
Any cyclist on TV has to wear one.
It is becoming difficult to ride with a club bareheaded.
Any report of an accident to a cyclist includes the information about helmet wearing or absence.
Etc.Etc.

Those of us who have taken the trouble to find out the facts and as a result decided against helmet wearing can see the way the wind blows and fear compulsion.

Helmets are, as Boardman said, a distraction from doing what would actually work.
They are an alibi, to allocate the responsibility for dead and injured cyclists onto the cyclists themselves, rather than onto those who are responsible for dangerous road conditions.
And they have not achieved the putative end. In no country where a law has caused a large step change in wearing has there been a detectable change in injury rates.
So, when helmeteers stop making a fuss about the things, then we will stop making a fuss.

skyhawk
Posts: 296
Joined: 30 May 2019, 3:00pm

Re: Good cheap helmet

Postby skyhawk » 30 Jun 2019, 8:52pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I've often wondered why, since it is not compulsory in the UK to wear a helmet, and since to do so or to decline to do so is entirely voluntary, there is so much fuss.


You are being disingenuous I suspect.

You must be aware of campaigners who would like to make helmets mandatory.
There have been attempts in parliament to make wearing the law.
Several countries already have laws.
The pressure to persuade us into helmets is powerful.
Any cyclist on TV has to wear one.
It is becoming difficult to ride with a club bareheaded.
Any report of an accident to a cyclist includes the information about helmet wearing or absence.
Etc.Etc.

Those of us who have taken the trouble to find out the facts and as a result decided against helmet wearing can see the way the wind blows and fear compulsion.

Helmets are, as Boardman said, a distraction from doing what would actually work.
They are an alibi, to allocate the responsibility for dead and injured cyclists onto the cyclists themselves, rather than onto those who are responsible for dangerous road conditions.
And they have not achieved the putative end. In no country where a law has caused a large step change in wearing has there been a detectable change in injury rates.
So, when helmeteers stop making a fuss about the things, then we will stop making a fuss.



I fully 100% agree that NO ONE should be made to wear a helmet, I think that where an accident leads to injury treated by the NHS and can be shown avoidable had a helmet been worn the person should pay for their treatment. Same for climbers, anyone doing dangerous sports etc. Oh and yes we are already seeing moves towards people being penalised (or in fact educated ) such as obese, smokers, drinkers. This is my view and we are all entitled to one.

Believe me it will happen one day, look back on this comment in ten years :)

Can I assume that the never force me people would be happy without seatbelts and crash helmets, I agree, just as long as they pay for their treatment

However................. I personally don't care what anyone other than my sons do, so long as either side does not KEEP on about it and trying to force their opinion on me.

If people chose to wear them then that is their choice
Last edited by skyhawk on 30 Jun 2019, 8:57pm, edited 3 times in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more