Bar tape in hot weather

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Bar tape in hot weather

Post by reohn2 »

alexnharvey wrote:....Aren't there silicone rings that you can fit to secure the end?

:shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Starting from the bar ends,wind tape over the top and toward the head tube(viewed from behind the right side should wind on anticlockwise and the left side should wind on clockwise).
Winding tape on in this way ends up finishing either side of the stem with the tape winding on rearward (toward the rider) finished off with insulating tape to secure.
If the bartape is done this way with moderate tension it won't unravel or move as the hand positions tighten and tension the tape onto the 'bars as the bike is ridden.
I've never had problems with handlebar tape even in very hot weather (40C :shock: )
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

I've seen neat screw-tightened plastic clips designed for this very purpose but have been unable to find them during a brief interweb search. They must be out there somewhere and you may be in a better position than me to search the continental cycle websites which is where I believe that I came across them (possibly Italian)?
As an interim measure you might consider securing the bar tape with suitably narrow coloured cable ties (from eBay), pulled extra tight with pliers leaving the snipped-off end hidden out of sight below the bar. Done properly this looks better than it first sounds.
Alternatively check out motoring sites for very the narrow metal hose clips of a suitable diameter as used on some vehicle heating/air conditioning systems instead of jubilee clips. A quick spray with coloured paint may make them look neater.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pq wrote: The problem is that the summer heat melts the glue, the tape comes unraveled and so does my bar tape. So does anyone have a clever idea for something I can use to finish wrapping my bars which won't fail in the heat?
How odd?

I've been riding the same bike since the mid 1980s and having spent some years in the RN taking the bike with me abroad, I've cycled in many hot countries.

Malaysia, Singapore, India, Bahrein, Italy, Spain to name a few. All hot and sweaty places and not once has my bar tape suffered in the heat.

This time last year, the Wimps were riding in the heatwave, and I was with them for a couple of days. Temps in the mid thirties if my memory serves me correctly. Not one bar tape issue.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Use quality tape, of light colour. That won't melt.
Or simply glue some grosgrain ribbon of choice, with contact adhesive. That too won't melt before the tyres have exploded when left too long in the sun!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine's been black on Mercian for a few years. Good quality though of course.
3T tape.
https://www.totalcycling.com/en/gb/3T-P ... 17245.aspx
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

philsknees wrote:I've seen neat screw-tightened plastic clips designed for this very purpose but have been unable to find them during a brief interweb search. They must be out there somewhere and you may be in a better position than me to search the continental cycle websites which is where I believe that I came across them (possibly Italian)?
As an interim measure you might consider securing the bar tape with suitably narrow coloured cable ties (from eBay), pulled extra tight with pliers leaving the snipped-off end hidden out of sight below the bar. Done properly this looks better than it first sounds.
Alternatively check out motoring sites for very the narrow metal hose clips of a suitable diameter as used on some vehicle heating/air conditioning systems instead of jubilee clips. A quick spray with coloured paint may make them look neater.

SJS sell/did sell the screw clips .... I have a couple of pairs, not that brilliant at working with under the tape cables - I think SJS may also sell the silicone rings (as Herr Rose in my earlier post)

On 2 or 3 of my bikes I have the silicone rings at the stem end of the tape and also on the extremities of the bar-ends ... stopping scuffing if you lean the bike against a wall .... and the other neat solution is the bar end plugs that insert and then have an Allen bolt to tighten a cone/wedge to lock them in to position.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Not the version I'd seen previously but as robgul says, SJS have something that might do the job & it doesn't look too clunky:-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-t ... set-black/
Other colours are available but supply is very limited.
horizon

Post by horizon »

philsknees wrote:I've seen neat screw-tightened plastic clips designed for this very purpose but have been unable to find them during a brief interweb search.

I have these (and was going to mention them until I saw your post). Originally i thought everyone used them (they came on my Dawes Super Galaxy/Horizon IIRR). Of course tape is much more versatile but the plastic end clips did look elegant.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Clips spoil neat ends and can be felt as well as looking horrid. They often come with cheap tape and go straight in the bin.
The real answer has been given by Mick and others. Do it properly. If you hate glue, which is no hindrance, use silicone tape which you can undo. Works perfectly.
RickH

Post by RickH »

philsknees wrote:I've seen neat screw-tightened plastic clips designed for this very purpose but have been unable to find them during a brief interweb search. They must be out there somewhere and you may be in a better position than me to search the continental cycle websites which is where I believe that I came across them (possibly Italian)?

I think Cinelli bar tape came with those clips, at least back in the 80s/90s when I had some. I don't know if it still does.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mattsccm wrote:Clips spoil neat ends and can be felt as well as looking horrid. They often come with cheap tape and go straight in the bin.

I don't use them anymore but I didn't think they looked horrid.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

A friend in Italy had an entire box of those clips, I think they ended up in the bin as no one would use them anymore! :lol:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Gattonero wrote:A friend in Italy had an entire box of those clips, I think they ended up in the bin as no one would use them anymore! :lol:

Yes but that was probably before Global Warming was invented......... :roll:
David9694

Post by David9694 »

https://www.vcgraphix.com/products/hand ... ape-4-pack

His won’t help the OP sweltering dans le Midi, but I‘ve had to import from the US to get something pleasing to go over the EBay electrical tape. Mine never looks as neat as is the pictures.

Maybe your glue is your canary down the mine - if it’s melting, maybe it’s too hot to ride?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.