Glastonbury - no single-use plastics? You must be joking!

Tangled Metal

Re: Glastonbury - no single-use plastics? You must be joking!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aren't festival goers all about hedonism? Isn't hedonism about the self gratification in the here and now? Why do you think they give a shoot about saving the planet? Naive or what?!!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:Aren't festival goers all about hedonism? Isn't hedonism about the self gratification in the here and now? Why do you think they give a shoot about saving the planet? Naive or what?!!

It's perfectly possible to like enjoying yourself but to want to do it in an environmentally responsible way.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do they look like they give a toss about single use plastics? I read an article about this single order plastics issue and Glastonbury. The photo used was a female festival goer carrying two plastic point glasses of water with more people carrying them on the background.

It certainly is possible but that's too hard for most of them so they don't do anything. That's the reality.

Anyone seen the photos of the cleanup operation? Plastic refuse sacks and a whole army picking up cans and plastic bottles all over the place. I think I read that they've already collected 12000+ drinks cans for recycling. The cleanup operation is expected to take at least 6 weeks! At least that before they can let the cows out into those fields. 6 weeks! Seriously? How green is that?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

All that amply demonstrates how far we need to go to be really green. Mind boggling ! :mrgreen:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's a pity you can't make it vr festival instead. People stay at home, bands perform in their home town and you don't have the pollution to get people there and waste. Telefestivals!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:Do they look like they give a toss about single use plastics? I read an article about this single order plastics issue and Glastonbury. The photo used was a female festival goer carrying two plastic point glasses of water with more people carrying them on the background.

It certainly is possible but that's too hard for most of them so they don't do anything. That's the reality.

Anyone seen the photos of the cleanup operation? Plastic refuse sacks and a whole army picking up cans and plastic bottles all over the place. I think I read that they've already collected 12000+ drinks cans for recycling. The cleanup operation is expected to take at least 6 weeks! At least that before they can let the cows out into those fields. 6 weeks! Seriously? How green is that?

I imagine that some Glastonbury goers care enough to actually make an effort to be green, and others don't, just like the rest of us.
I was taking issue with your specious logic which aimed to prove that going to the festival, or perhaps hedonism generally, is not compatible with taking care of the planet.
That many festival goers have not (yet?) absorbed the message does not show that Glastonbury cannot be "green".
My own hedonism would be repelled by any festival, but I do know how to enjoy myself, and try to leave no mark on the planet. My early camping was with the Scouts, and I was taught to leave a site as I found it.
I share you disgust at the conduct of too many Glastonbury customers. I hope they can learn. At least they pay for the clean up, I suppose, as the festival makes a profit.
I would not enjoy a VR festival either, I would guess that it is not the same as being there. Shame.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mike Sales wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Do they look like they give a toss about single use plastics? I read an article about this single order plastics issue and Glastonbury. The photo used was a female festival goer carrying two plastic point glasses of water with more people carrying them on the background.

I imagine that some Glastonbury goers care enough to actually make an effort to be green, and others don't, just like the rest of us.
I was taking issue with your specious logic which aimed to prove that going to the festival, or perhaps hedonism generally, is not compatible with taking care of the planet.
That many festival goers have not (yet?) absorbed the message does not show that Glastonbury cannot be "green".
My own hedonism would be repelled by any festival, but I do know how to enjoy myself, and try to leave no mark on the planet. My early camping was with the Scouts, and I was taught to leave a site as I found it.
I share you disgust at the conduct of too many Glastonbury customers. I hope they can learn. At least they pay for the clean up, I suppose, as the festival makes a profit.
I would not enjoy a VR festival either, I would guess that it is not the same as being there. Shame.

the pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence.

Or for the more philosophical...

the ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life.

Google derived definition of hedonism. Whilst I doubt many of the people at Glastonbury will be into philosophy the pursuit of pleasure bit sound right. What better indication of self indulgence is there than a field full of discarded cans and bottles at the end of a music festival? Hardly a specious logic based on evidence.

If climate was in the minds of anyone there it appears to be a small minority who actually practise what is often preached about environmental matters. How can the organisers dedicate the festival to the campaign against single use plastics with that evidence? How can Sir A congratulate the crowd over cutting out single use plastics? Are they really that blinkered?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote: If climate was in the minds of anyone there it appears to be a small minority who actually practise what is often preached about environmental matters. How can the organisers dedicate the festival to the campaign against single use plastics with that evidence? How can Sir A congratulate the crowd over cutting out single use plastics? Are they really that blinkered?

It's all about changing peoples attitudes and perception.

Is this Glastonbury green? Apparently not.
What about the next one? The one after that.

It's a slow process that only works if you keep banging on about it. Who knows how many people there listened to D.A and felt a sense of shame, how many will think later about what they could have done?

I seriously never understand the hypocrisy argument.
We'd never get anything changed.

In short: Yes it's crap, but keep banging on and it will get better.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Preaching isn't getting us there quick enough. If that's the only way then it may be too late.

What about banning plastic water bottles on the site or plastic glasses? I wonder where those people got those plastic glasses from? Did they bring them with them or get them on site from a stand or the water fountains?

Then what can they do about tents? Preach or ban? A work colleague who goes to other festivals said he and his mates never really used their tents but just kept going all weekend! Perhaps huge cotton marquees where people ban get their head down safely for a few hours of needed and no more disposable plastic tents.

Certainly being congratulated by Sir D. A. for doing something they most certainly didn't do isn't really getting anywhere IMHO.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:Preaching isn't getting us there quick enough. If that's the only way then it may be too late.

Glastonbury doesn't even register on the list of what needs doing.

The most important thing you can do with those young people is educate them and DA making a speech there probably does exactly that.
The real issue we've got is the harder you push people the harder they push back and hence why imo targeting individuals at the levels required is likely to be counterproductive.

Plastics are a symptom of the real issues and they can only be resolved via government action and creating consumers who apply pressure to governments is the way this can be achieved.

I've mentioned this before, anything that's manufactured should include the cost of it's disposal added at point of sale. That money is either paid back to the manufacturers to dispose/reuse their products or is used to pay 3rd parties to do the same.
Anything that can only be land filled has a premium disposal price.

Do that and watch how fast manufacturers change their materials and manufacturing methods.
horizon

Post by horizon »

if you want to be nosey, here's the BBC webcam:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/g ... ury/webcam

If the images are up-to-date (and it's only Monday), maybe we are already seeing an improvement. :)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's a pity you can't make it vr festival instead. People stay at home, bands perform in their home town and you don't have the pollution to get people there and waste. Telefestivals!

Plus One
Surely if one can carry the full bottles in one can carry empty ones out, right?
The Leipzig Book Fair got too big, 2000 exhibitors, 160 000 visitors, so many small towns have book fairs with maybe 30 exhibitors, one can visit them all, free admission, readings in Norwegian and French too, upgrade to local!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

horizon wrote:..
Glastonbury's plastics and tents problem sickens me as do the people who attend and create it. Sorry, but they really do disgust me.

Tend to agree, the festival organisers get rich, famous, influential if they are 'lucky'
I was young once but never wanted to attend such a monstrous event
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Glastonbury's plastics and tents problem sickens me as do the people who attend and create it. Sorry, but they really do disgust me.

Tend to agree, the festival organisers get rich, famous, influential if they are 'lucky'

The problem with folk is that they think everyone else's misdemeanours are the issue and not their own.
Bit like drivers really - but ecologically biased.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

The problem with folk is that they think everyone else's misdemeanours are the issue and not their own.
Bit like drivers really - but ecologically biased.

Other music genres are to blame too. I'm sick of folk being pilloried in that way.