CTC Bike bags: Dublin airport and Ryanair

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrvinegar

CTC Bike bags: Dublin airport and Ryanair

Post by mrvinegar »

Travelling from Dublin to Barcelona soon and I'm thinking about using the CTC plastic bag method for transporting my bike, has anyone tried this recently from Dublin?

I see other people have had issues with this travelling from other destinations...
Navrig

Re: CTC Bike bags: Dublin airport and Ryanair

Post by Navrig »

Ask Ryanair for a specific answer and get it in writing.

or

Buy a lottery ticket.
mrvinegar

Post by mrvinegar »

Surprisingly Ryanair just confirmed in writing that the CTC bag is OK...
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

mrvinegar wrote:Surprisingly Ryanair just confirmed in writing that the CTC bag is OK...

In that case print it out and put it in your passport PLUS go and buy that lottery ticket.
delilah

Post by delilah »

mrvinegar wrote:Surprisingly Ryanair just confirmed in writing that the CTC bag is OK...

Did they really. I find that very surprising.
They refused to accept my plastic CTC bag on returning from Charleroi last year.
Refused point blank even took me the other side of the counter where they had a picture with plastic CTC bag firmly crossed out and not allowed.
They made me buy a cardboard bike bag for 30 Euros.
I would be very interested if you could post a copy or Ryanairs's letter.
mrvinegar

Post by mrvinegar »

They sent me an email and a direct message on Twiter, one said

"Yes you can use this bike bag if you added bike to your booking."

The other:

"Hi, that bag will be fine."
CJ

Post by CJ »

delilah wrote:

Did they really. I find that very surprising.
They refused to accept my plastic CTC bag on returning from Charleroi last year.
Refused point blank even took me the other side of the counter where they had a picture with plastic CTC bag firmly crossed out and not allowed.
They made me buy a cardboard bike bag for 30 Euros.
I would be very interested if you could post a copy or Ryanairs's letter.

Individual airports tend to put their own spin on airlines' policies. I expect the guy selling boxes at Charlerroi is on very good terms with the check-in staff!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

If you run into unreasonable trouble with check-in staff you sometimes have to get tough.
2008 flying back from Lisbon to Ireland a young man at the check-in didn't want to accept my bike for some unreasonable reason or other. After exploring reason and getting nowhere, I fixed him with my steely gaze and said... I want to see your boss... Mumble mumble.. I want to see your boss. If my bike doesn't get on that flight I'm going to go to considerable trouble to make a lot of trouble for you...mumble mumble. Gets on the phone.. Trouble mysteriously disappears.
mrvinegar

Post by mrvinegar »

So I took the flight last night: arrived at the airport, put the bike in the bag and taped it up, then brought it to the Ryanair desk to check it in. The lady took a look and said: "that's just a plastic bag, we can't take that". I showed her the email Ryanair had sent me saying it was fine, but she still was unconvinced, "But is that the same bag as the website??". Then she called a baggage handler guy, who reluctantly agreed, "It's your lucky day.."

The bike arrived fine, the bag had a small tear near the crank but nothing else...

Interestingly after they agreed to take it they didn't even tag it themselves, she told me to go to an automatic machine, check it in, put the tag on myself and bring it to the oversize bag scanner. In theory I could have just done that myself without even showing it to her...
boris

Post by boris »

it is a shame that there is always this anxiety about the chaotic 'rules' the ground staff invent. Deflating the tyres is still a thing in some places. I never take a nice or expensive bike because: 1. you might have to abandon it because they won't let it on , and 2 . almost always they have inflicted some damage, usually minor but one bent chain-ring . I watched a plane being unloaded at East Midlands 10years ago and a lot of bikes in bags was thrown precariously onto a high escalator, one falling a good 12 feet onto the concrete .
delilah

Post by delilah »

Mr Vinegar it would help us all immensly if you could share Ryan Air's email to you and post it on line
mrvinegar

Post by mrvinegar »

delilah wrote:Mr Vinegar it would help us all immensly if you could share Ryan Air's email to you and post it on line

Just email them here, they got back to me within a day

https://contactform.ryanair.com/?cr=4-0&lg=en&id=43

I also sent them a message on Twitter via DM, which is better as you can see the link to the CTC bike bag, in the email they sent there was no reference to the link i sent them https://twitter.com/Ryanair
delilah

Post by delilah »

Thanks I will mail them. Exactly what did you ask them?. Did you send them any details, pictures of what a plastic CTC bag was.
I am being very cautious as on my last attempt to travel back with a CTC plastic bag , behind the check-in desk they had photos of a CTC plastic bag, they were crossed out as not being acceptable, and I was told that these weren't allowed!
mrvinegar

Post by mrvinegar »

I just sent them this link and asked if I could use it: https://www.wiggle.es/bolsa-de-plastico ... tc-cycling

delilah wrote: behind the check-in desk they had photos of a CTC plastic bag, they were crossed out as not being acceptable, and I was told that these weren't allowed!

What airport was this?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Don't forget that some airports have their own rules (or claim to) which are independent of any airline. If the airport won't accept 'X' then it is irrelevant what the airline says.

I've had problems at a few airports with this.