'Sprintech' rear view cycle mirrors.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 'Sprintech' rear view cycle mirrors.

Post by Mick F »

I've used B+M mirrors for years. As recommended on here.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Do any members use bar-end mirrors?
What caused them to start?
Do they help - would users recommend their use?
Have any members used/tried 'Sprintech' mirrors?
Have users found them helpful?

JohnW: we've had long discussions about mirrors on here on the past. I'm always happy to add my voice to such discussions because (a) so few cyclists use a mirror and (b) I wouldn't cycle without one. I don't see why you wouldn't use a mirror and I don't see how you can cycle satisfactorily on the road without one. However, people did disagree with that and so we just had to ... agree to differ. I have my own favourite type of mirror but to my mind the important thing is that you have one. Bar end shifters require different mirrors.

Knowing whether a car is behind you or not, what size and how close allows you to adjust your road position accordingly. I think that's priceless and that constant knowledge of what is behind you, gleaned from multiple fleeting glances in the mirror, can only be achieved with a mirror.

Spot on post.
I wouldn't ride on the road without these days,as Horizon states they're priceless.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I also swear by a mirror - I've used B&M ones for years. However I still look over my shoulder in addition before manouvering, not because I can see any better but because it warns the driver behind me that I may be changing my line.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

LollyKat wrote:I also swear by a mirror - I've used B&M ones for years. However I still look over my shoulder in addition before manouvering, not because I can see any better but because it warns the driver behind me that I may be changing my line.

How do you know what a driver concludes from your look behind?

Personally I feel that the procedure employed by every motorised vehicle driver (well, the ones who can drive properly) is appropriate on the bike too. Mirror-signal-maneuver. With the mirror, one can see at any time what cars there are and where they are behind, whilst still being able to see ahead, as one plots to turn right.

A straight arm signal is far less ambiguous in it's meaning than is a glance over the shoulder. Perhaps you're just looking at the attractive garden you're cycling past, thinks Whizzo, as he roars up behind you not wanting to take his foot off the accelerator pedal? Perhaps he's not looking at all? I like to time my move to the middle of the road so any such inattentive eejit is more likely to roar past on the left, even if he hasn't noticed me.

I do tend to make a glance sideways across my shoulder (can't easily look over it anymore) in case there's a something somehow unnoticed and in the process of actually overtaking me. There never is but a touch of paranoia is perhaps forgivable in a cyclist turning right.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
zenitb

Use on tandem ?

Post by zenitb »

Useful thread. I have been cycling solo bikes on the road for almost 50 years now (!!!!??? :-0) and so far have survived with the "listen, look back, signal, final look, wave of thanks" technique.

However now I have a tandem the whole rig is much more sensitive to body lean/steering inputs. I have been relying on the stoker to some extent but my final "lifesaver" look over the shoulder tends to cause some steering wander - especially if cycling slow.

So I probably need a mirror.

Any mirror recommendations for straight bars with bar ends?
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Cugel wrote:
LollyKat wrote:I also swear by a mirror - I've used B&M ones for years. However I still look over my shoulder in addition before manouvering, not because I can see any better but because it warns the driver behind me that I may be changing my line.

How do you know what a driver concludes from your look behind

My experience is that, on country lanes where overtaking is a bit marginal, drivers are often uncomfortable overtaking a cyclist if they think that the cyclist is unaware. Once I've looked back and acknowledged their presence, they're much more likely to try and get past.

I make use of this phenomenon; ignoring the car until a point where I'm happy for an overtake, then looking back.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

rfryer wrote:
Cugel wrote:

How do you know what a driver concludes from your look behind

My experience is that, on country lanes where overtaking is a bit marginal, drivers are often uncomfortable overtaking a cyclist if they think that the cyclist is unaware. Once I've looked back and acknowledged their presence, they're much more likely to try and get past.

I make use of this phenomenon; ignoring the car until a point where I'm happy for an overtake, then looking back.

I physically wave them through...
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Cugel wrote:

How do you know what a driver concludes from your look behind?

Personally I feel that the procedure employed by every motorised vehicle driver (well, the ones who can drive properly) is appropriate on the bike too. Mirror-signal-maneuver. With the mirror, one can see at any time what cars there are and where they are behind, whilst still being able to see ahead, as one plots to turn right.

If I want to turn right in town, changing lanes into a steady stream of traffic that's going faster than me, looking behind allows me to warn and negotiate with the driver to let me in - they nearly always do. The mirror helps me to choose my time to do so (what you call plotting to turn right?). I always stick an arm out, but they may need to slow down to let me in.

There used to be a cyclist in Glasgow who was famous for looking over one or other shoulder and/or waving an arm high in the air every few seconds - drivers gave him a very wide berth indeed!

In any case my lifesaver glance over the shoulder is completely ingrained.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I've used many different ones over the decades, but now that I wear a helmet pretty much any time I'm riding, I use the Cycleaware mirrors, which attach to the side of a helmet with double-sided tape. If you don't want the mirror there for a particular event, it's about a two second job with a screwdriver blade to detach the mirror and arm, leaving just the ball joint in place on the helmet:

horizon

Re: Use on tandem ?

Post by horizon »

zenitb wrote:Useful thread. I have been cycling solo bikes on the road for almost 50 years now (!!!!??? :-0) and so far have survived with the "listen, look back, signal, final look, wave of thanks" technique.

You may not quite have meant this but I want to say that I profoundly disagree with the idea that a mirror is for look, signal, manouvre. You can do whatever you want (e.g. look over your shoulder) when you need to turn right for example. The mirror OTOH allows you to have constant awareness of what is behind you, enabling you to take up the best road position to deal with it. This might mean moving into the centre of the lane to prevent overtaking for example. With a mirror, you control the road. Without one, you simple buckle down and hope for the best.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jonk

Post by jonk »

I have one of these sprintechs on our tandem. It’s great for keeping a general eye on what’s going on behind you, with a good field of vision without sticking up too much.

I’ve not yet plucked up the courage to fit one to my proper racing bike, but the day will come I expect. It’s really handy.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

jonk wrote:I have one of these sprintechs on our tandem. It’s great for keeping a general eye on what’s going on behind you, with a good field of vision without sticking up too much.

I’ve not yet plucked up the courage to fit one to my proper racing bike, but the day will come I expect. It’s really handy.

Why does it require bravery to fit a mirror? When I fit mine they showed no sign of biting or scratching me. One did give a knowing wink. Perhaps it knew a fashion policeman was nearby? :-)

The Sprintech are smallish and don't stick out very much. This means that, unlike many other mirrors, they neither change position in the higher wind of speed nor vibrate so the view is blurred.

They can be positioned, though, to give a more or less clear view behind. The angle of the dangle of the mirrors, as well as the angle of the lower bit of the drop bars, can make a big difference. The width of the bars is also a factor. Those on the bike with 40cm width are harder to get right for maximum field of view than are those on the bike with 42cm bars.

I suspect that the best bars to suit the mirror would be those gravel bars with a significant degree of flair-out of the lower bar bits. I rarely use the drops; and when I do, I feel a bit of flare out would improve things, as otherwise my hands ache a bit. But these days, I try not to consume like a fool. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Re: Use on tandem ?

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
zenitb wrote:Useful thread. I have been cycling solo bikes on the road for almost 50 years now (!!!!??? :-0) and so far have survived with the "listen, look back, signal, final look, wave of thanks" technique.

You may not quite have meant this but I want to say that I profoundly disagree with the idea that a mirror is for look, signal, manouvre. You can do whatever you want (e.g. look over your shoulder) when you need to turn right for example. The mirror OTOH allows you to have constant awareness of what is behind you, enabling you to take up the best road position to deal with it. This might mean moving into the centre of the lane to prevent overtaking for example. With a mirror, you control the road. Without one, you simple buckle down and hope for the best.

Nail,head,on.
I use the now discontinued Cateye BM300G and have done for 20 odd years,first fitted to the tandem,I think I last about three weeks before fitting them to my solos.I wouldn't ride on the road without one :wink:
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I have a Zefal Cyclops on the offside. Used to use a Sprintech on the nearside as well but could never get it to stay put, and it was very easily scratched so I ditched it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:I have a Zefal Cyclops on the offside. Used to use a Sprintech on the nearside as well but could never get it to stay put, and it was very easily scratched so I ditched it.

The Cyclop was the first mirror I tried but gave up on it as it was made from brittle plastic that was easily broken,they may have changed the plastic type now though.
W H Auden