Stonehenge bypass

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Stonehenge bypass

Post by peetee »

Should it be built?
I think yes. It's a huge amount of money but how does it compare to the profit generated by Stonehenge - one of the most popular UK attractions and one that survived with woeful under-investment and high income for decades.
The henge and its immediate surroundings are a global treasure with much yet to be researched and, undoubtedly, discovered. This, above all transport projects, needs to be upheld and done properly and hang the cost.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PH

Re: Stonehenge bypass

Post by PH »

Yes and make it a toll road, in fact make the current road a toll road until it's raised enough money to pay for the work.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just move them to Hyde Park in london. Would save a lot of money and more people could see them then, without having to make that god aweful trip to the back of beyond for which there is no other reason to visit :) and would cut down on our carbon foot print all that petrol not used. Its not as if it is authentic as in the olde days would have been surrounded by forest
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello Playmates, With all of the climate change protests I would say that the best thing to do would be to turn most of our currently over populated roads into combined cycle paths & bridlepaths, proper green corridors! Congestion no longer an issue 8) . MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I made my own Stonehenge out of paving slabs - not your cruddy 1.5" rubbish either, a good solid 2.5" thick.
(I think the cat's under one that fell over)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Stones should be viewed in the calm, and the current jams are horrendus. Build it.

Dont miss Lord McAlpine's Iron Henge!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

hi Al :D :D , If you have to use a car to view it make it a pedal-car! Purer air & serenity combined. MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Last time I was there, I cycled there from Portsmouth and then back again.
Early 1980s.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

merseymouth wrote:hi Al :D :D , If you have to use a car to view it make it a pedal-car! Purer air & serenity combined. MM

Hi MM, in summer 2017 my VW Camper packed up on the single carriageway of the A303 right opposite the Stones when a spade terminal came off the Petrol Pump. I sat there having a very nice chat with a lady PC who was making sure I was ok. I had lots of salutes from motorists and truck drivers :lol: Old Rusty does 14mpg, he isnt green he's rust coloured.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No no no it should not be built!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:just move them to Hyde Park in london. Would save a lot of money and more people could see them then, without having to make that god aweful trip to the back of beyond for which there is no other reason to visit :) and would cut down on our carbon foot print all that petrol not used. Its not as if it is authentic as in the olde days would have been surrounded by forest

Wrong again, your idea has a certain charm but the stones were nicked from Wales, we want them back!
Si

Post by Si »

Getting rid of the current road and its mad traffic would be good, but the proposed tunnel could be a lot better.....still infringes on the sensitive landscape.

But the project is even more ridiculous than br*xit . The money spent on the various consortations over the years would have paid for most of the proposed project (that were thrown out because of the cost) several times over.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I went there with my sister many many years ago
horizon

Post by horizon »

Rather than discuss the Stonehenge by-pass, we should discuss the Exeter by-pass, the Wincanton by-pass and the building of the M3. All these, plus the general dualling of the A303 and the A30 and A38, have led to the massive increases in traffic that now passes Stonehenge.

I'm appalled that anyone would even bother to discuss Stonehenge, let alone make plans for it. Stonehenge is the last (or almost last) link in the project to build a dual carriageway from London to Cornwall. All the traffic around Stonehenge was entirely predictable and indeed predicted.

Tell us instead what you think about the people who proposed it, about the people who were willing to sacrifice Stonehenge (they planned it). Tell us instead what you think about the roads lobby and the current roads building programme. Are we really to be treated like children, to be told that this Stonehenge by-pass is necessary or a "new" problem? That it won't lead to the generation of new traffic somewhere else?

I say to the OP: take your question and stuff it somewhere (in the bin). And then don't let yourself be sucked into this distraction debate. I'm sorry to be rude but your question about Stonehenge is irrelevant: look around you, look at the causes of the Stonehenge "problem", look at the current planned expenditure on new roads and ask yourself: how did we get here? And then ask yourself: are we digging an even deeper hole?

Until we question the fundamentals, there will be no answer to the Stonehenge problem. And please, open your eyes and think. At the moment they've got you right on the end of their line.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

The Grauniad reports that the road and tunnel scheme may soon be approved, -1

One earnestly hopes there are protests against This roadbuilding Madness