Have you lit the fire yet?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Have you lit the fire yet?

Post by Mick F »

Yes, very hot in Europe and one or two places in UK.
Deaths have occurred in France I believe. Glad it's not like that here.
mercalia wrote:you are kidding?
where on earth are you people living?
Obviously somewhere different to you.
Loads of trees to cut down, loads of firewood, all free. If you want some, bring your chainsaw and you can have as much as you want.

The good thing about living here in the Far SW, is that winters are never too cold, and summers are never too hot.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I wore Sealskinz socks with my sandals for the morning commute today; it was the first time in a few weeks, but I am still hoping for some warm July & August weather.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Meanwhile in S Japan a meter of rain has fallen since Friday! :shock:
It would change the landscape here, with the scars visible for centuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48850111
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Since the knife men cut me apart a couple of years ago I have felt the cold, which I previously never did. But as of late it has been so pleasant I have been in the shorts & a light S/S jersey, triking it in delight. Friends of mine down in Southampton always moan that up here is like the ice age? Definitely southern softies. IGICB MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, Since the knife men cut me apart a couple of years ago I have felt the cold, which I previously never did. But as of late it has been so pleasant I have been in the shorts & a light S/S jersey, triking it in delight. Friends of mine down in Southampton always moan that up here is like the ice age? Definitely southern softies. IGICB MM

civilisation has its price
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mercalia, Who are you saying is uncivilized? Up here we are both civilized & cultured, lots of natural yoghurt :lol: . IGICB MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

One side of our new house is warm and sunny, the other side is cool and shady. I think the 10 foot ceilings have something to do with it. If we are uncomfortable we just move to the other side.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

My heating went off in March and will go back on in November, maybe late October if I'm feeling indulgent.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Where do you get your hot water from?
We have an electric immersion heater in the tank, but it doesn't heat up the whole tank just the top little portion. You need a coil (or two) in there to heat it properly.

Our coils are heated via solid fuel stoves. How do you heat yours?
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi MickF :o , Hot water? Kettle for brews & washing up, with a half-size immersion cylinder for larger quantity (Which we haven't used since we replaced the leaky full size one), electric shower for cleansing.
No central heating, just 3 Baxi Brazillia Wall heaters, which are never all on at the same time. Even post surgery we didn't go tropical.
Most folk have the car so hot that they have to exceed that temperature at home. My father's first 4 cars had no heaters, his Citroen Dyane wasn't much better! Tough childhood. IGICB MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:One side of our new house is warm and sunny, the other side is cool and shady. I think the 10 foot ceilings have something to do with it. If we are uncomfortable we just move to the other side.

Al

well you should install a thermocouple and get some free electricity
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We have year round hot water ... courtesy of Putin's gas pipeline and deliveries of liquid gas from the middle east and those wonderful countries with their amazing human rights history ..
Better than producing it ourselves though ....... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

merseymouth wrote: Tough childhood.

I remember frost on the inside of the bedroom window when I was a boy. I still like a cold bedroom.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Where do you get your hot water from?

Year round I don't like to store hot water in a tank so use whatever works to heat it up as needed, in the kitchen that's a kettle, in the bathroom it's an electric shower (Which can also reach the sink), though this time of year I'm happy to wash and shower with unheated water. My fuel bill for last year was £384, the year before the elec company sent an engineer round to check I hadn't fiddled with the meter :shock:
Despite you not paying for it there is no such thing as free energy, though you can offset the cost by replanting, or claim you've already done so by growing in the first place.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mike Sales wrote:
merseymouth wrote: Tough childhood.

I remember frost on the inside of the bedroom window when I was a boy. I still like a cold bedroom.

Our bedroom is the coldest room in the house ... all year round ..... coldest temperature ... but warm with love ..... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.