Trangia bottle on underside of bike with bike buddy

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Trangia bottle on underside of bike with bike buddy

Post by Sweep »

On my exped 26 inch tourer I have a bike buddy mark 3 fitted - the one where the pegs are left fitted into the bottle bosses and my 1 litre Trangia bottle in the Mk 3 holder slots into it. Brilliant system. Never budged once.

Have recently built up a 19 inch (measured BB to middle of top tube) steel hybrid as tourer with 700 wheels. Decent sized bike so I thought I would have enough room to achieve the same. Bike doesn't have bottle bosses but have used a clamp on system to create them and then put a second pair of bikebuddy pegs into these.
But unless I'm missing a trick there doesn't seem to be enough room to clear the front wheel and the chainrings.

I had thought of using my 500ml trangia bottle but unless I have misunderstood something it seems that the bikebuddy Mk 3's spring clip system won't acomodate its smaller diameter bottle.

Any ideas? I thought it quite common for folk to put their Trangia bottles in that position and my 700 bike seems a decent size.

Just give up and put the 500ml bottle in a pannier?

I stress that I don't want to use either of the two bottle bosses inside the triangle for fuel - I like to drink a lot of water.

Any other folk put a trangia bottle of whatever size in this position?

If so, what do you use.

I think part of my issue may be that the clamp on bottle mounts are moving the bottle/wheel interface lower down.
Sweep
leftpoole

Re: Trangia bottle on underside of bike with bike buddy

Post by leftpoole »

I’ve a Trangia fuel bottle, the large one under down tube at the side of crank. No problem although it looks like there should be!
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote:I’ve a Trangia fuel bottle, the large one under down tube at the side of crank. No problem although it looks like there should be!
John

Thanks for the reply John.
Can you give me any ideas of the dimensions of the bike - wheel size etc?

For I thought I would be able to manage it.

On this bike I may have made some progress - albeit by not using the Bike Buddy Mark3 on this bike (will try it on another 700 wheeled bike sometime - that one may be helped by having original frame bottle bosses - ie not clamped on) and by using my 500 mil Trangia bottle instead.
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Thorn Club Tour and a Thorn Sherpa. Club Tour 700c and Sherpa 26"
I admit it looks close to cranks but I never had any bother.
Best regards,
John
climo

Post by climo »

How 'bout using a well fitting regular bottle holder cable tied wherever you want it.
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottles-cag ... sign-kage/

I have this fitted on my Thorn Sherpa and it takes a 1ltr trangia fuel bottle underneath the two that hold my water bottles.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bikerta wrote:https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottles-cages/profile-design-kage/

I have this fitted on my Thorn Sherpa and it takes a 1ltr trangia fuel bottle underneath the two that hold my water bottles.

Thanks for the post. Maybe great minds think alike.

I had already gone down this fettling route with one of those I had lying around.

With some more fettling this morning I seem to have cracked it, after a fashion.

Retained the clamp on bottle mounts.

Ditched the idea of the bikebuddy Mark3 for this bike, even though it is a great system.

Fastened the Profile Design cage to them.

The 1 litre Trangia bottle would just about fit but too close to my mudguard for comfort. I could move the mudguard in but want to retain flexibility on tyres.

So I put the 500 mil Trangia bottle in and packed the cage with two bits of old tyre.

Then used a velcro strap.

All seems solid but will test on a ride tomorrow.

It does seem a pity that Trangia doesn't have a bottle of 600 to 700/750 which would fit in a regular bike bottle cage.

I know other fuel bottles are available but they have the disadvantage of being metal/not having Trangia's clever spout.

Will maybe try to post a pic of the fettling result when have time.

Thanks as always folks for your contributions.

edit:

These are the clamps by the way.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q ... at=product

recommended.

Tho if ordering do check your tube size.

I had always assumed that my bikes main tubes were all 28.6 as that is the diameter I have to bear in mind when mounting front mechs.

But it turns out that the other tubes are one size up.

The mount does push the bottle cage lower, which can cause bottle/mudguard interface challenges, but on the other hand it means that the mount clears the cables running down the tubes. Recommended. Mounts and cage are solid as a rock. Fingers crossed for the bottle.
Sweep