Why do drivers think this acceptable?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
skyhawk

Re: Why do drivers think this acceptable?

Post by skyhawk »

When I was 12 I rode on the pavement once, I was stopped by a Policeman who took my name and address. We lived in camberley, 1969, there were very few cars and rarely a pedestrian.

But whilst we never feared the Police I, and most others were brought up by our parents to have respect for others, it was an old fashioned thing long forgotten called "common decency".

Life was far from perfect as were the times but, you never hears of road rage, NO one carried knives, I was bullied as a youngster but you knew the worst that would happen was a fight you walked away from.

These days when parents, yes parents have no respect and bring their little yobs up to have none either what is to be expected.

I have a blue badge, my son has a blue badge, I could not park in Pets at home yesterday, Carmarthen because two tattooed (sorry) earring wearing twenty somethings parked in the disabled space.

I told them they were selfish, the response, removing the swearing, "why don't you get out of your car", when they saw the dashcam recording they left. That's life now
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

skyhawk wrote:When I was 12 I rode on the pavement once, I was stopped by a Policeman who took my name and address. We lived in camberley, 1969, there were very few cars and rarely a pedestrian.

But whilst we never feared the Police I, and most others were brought up by our parents to have respect for others, it was an old fashioned thing long forgotten called "common decency".

Life was far from perfect as were the times but, you never hears of road rage, NO one carried knives, I was bullied as a youngster but you knew the worst that would happen was a fight you walked away from.

These days when parents, yes parents have no respect and bring their little yobs up to have none either what is to be expected.

I have a blue badge, my son has a blue badge, I could not park in Pets at home yesterday, Carmarthen because two tattooed (sorry) earring wearing twenty somethings parked in the disabled space.

I told them they were selfish, the response, removing the swearing, "why don't you get out of your car", when they saw the dashcam recording they left. That's life now

These days many parents tell their children to ride on the pavement.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

These days many parents ride on the pavement with their children! We have allowed the roads to become an unpleasant, feral space for anyone not in a metal box.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Richard D wrote:These days many parents ride on the pavement with their children! We have allowed the roads to become an unpleasant, feral space for anyone not in a metal box.

Yes, much pavement riding is not down to lack of respect for law or police.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
COYB

Post by COYB »

There are drivers and then there are licence holders.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Richard D wrote:These days many parents ride on the pavement with their children! We have allowed the roads to become an unpleasant, feral space for anyone not in a metal box.

There are times and places that this is either acceptable or not

In small places such as Llandysul, Tavistock, Cambeley (places I have lived) it is NOt acceptable to ride on the pavement (ADULTS) because the roads are fine, but I blame the government for, as we all know NO cycle paths.

As for "children" not the ones who call themselves adults, 19, 18 etc the pavement is the best place for everyone as long as they are taught to STOP when a pedestrian is coming on a narrow path and wait till they pass

You don't know if that pedestrian is partially sighted, has mental health problems, scared etc. Never assume
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

COYB wrote:There are drivers and then there are licence holders.

I honestly admit I am not a perfect driver I make mistakes.
awavey

Post by awavey »

skyhawk wrote:

quite agree, kids although some of them can be pretty unpredictable in the way they ride still,I kind of am at peace with on pavements, but there are plenty of young adults and fully grown adults around my neighbourhood, who Im sure its not even they understand the law or rules anyway, they just ride on the pavement because no-ones told them they cant, and these arent wide pavements, there are often cars parked on them as well, you dont need an idiot riding in some cases at speed, I once had a rider coming towards me on the pavement downhill, on the road its easy to hit 20mph with no effort, I had a fulsome and frank discussion with that individual, though crazily he didnt see anything wrong with what he was doing and was more worried that he'd have been hurt had he come off at that speed...err ok :roll:
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Living in Llandysul on a ONE WAY road cyclists do themselves NO favors believing they have a right to ride the wrong way, elderly people do not expect to have to account for morons when they try to cross the one way road

They are also OVER 21
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

awavey wrote:
skyhawk wrote:

quite agree, kids although some of them can be pretty unpredictable in the way they ride still,I kind of am at peace with on pavements, but there are plenty of young adults and fully grown adults around my neighbourhood, who Im sure its not even they understand the law or rules anyway, they just ride on the pavement because no-ones told them they cant, and these arent wide pavements, there are often cars parked on them as well, you dont need an idiot riding in some cases at speed, I once had a rider coming towards me on the pavement downhill, on the road its easy to hit 20mph with no effort, I had a fulsome and frank discussion with that individual, though crazily he didnt see anything wrong with what he was doing and was more worried that he'd have been hurt had he come off at that speed...err ok :roll:

Blame police cuts, no local police any more
mjr

Post by mjr »

skyhawk wrote:Living in Llandysul on a ONE WAY road cyclists do themselves NO favors believing they have a right to ride the wrong way, elderly people do not expect to have to account for morons when they try to cross the one way road

They are also OVER 21

Elderly people walking should be allowed to cross freely even by motorists, but our country is car-crazed. It's for bigger road users to give way IMO.

Most one way streets should except cycles, like in civilised countries, but the UK government is too spineless to force councils to implement the guidelines.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

mjr wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Living in Llandysul on a ONE WAY road cyclists do themselves NO favors believing they have a right to ride the wrong way, elderly people do not expect to have to account for morons when they try to cross the one way road

They are also OVER 21

Elderly people walking should be allowed to cross freely even by motorists, but our country is car-crazed. It's for bigger road users to give way IMO.

Most one way streets should except cycles, like in civilised countries, but the UK government is too spineless to force councils to implement the guidelines.

100% A1
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Pete Owens wrote:
mjr wrote:I don't agree with all the phrasing of BC's campaign

Which is rather different trying to gaslight us all claiming that it is campaigning for something completely different. And since the campaign is entirely about changing the wording of the rules of the road then disagreeing with the phrasing is pretty fundamental.

The key is in the word "universal"; look it up a dictionary.
The campaign clearly and unambiguously calls for turning traffic (ie the OP in this case) to give way to overtaking traffic.

OP here. Currently over in Germany enjoying the fantastic bike infrastructure.
I was on a two lane main road wanting to turn right onto a side road when I was overtaken. Not sure how you think a cyclist should give way in this situation? I do understand the thought of giving way to pedestrians/cyclist crossing a road a car or other vehicle is turning into as happens over here. Didn’t realise my rant would result in such angst :lol:
awavey

Post by awavey »

skyhawk wrote:Blame police cuts, no local police any more

no in that sense blame that we outsourced policing on roads and our streets solely to mostly fixed cameras instead of patrols or mobile policing, and for them to become a reactive,so something must happen for them to respond to it, rather than proactive force engaging in crime prevention.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

awavey wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Blame police cuts, no local police any more

no in that sense blame that we outsourced policing on roads and our streets solely to mostly fixed cameras instead of patrols or mobile policing, and for them to become a reactive,so something must happen for them to respond to it, rather than proactive force engaging in crime prevention.

The cameras are a cutback, saving money and so cutting back on police numbers