Autumn
3%
Ask me in six months
3%

Total votes: 58

Cyril Haearn

Winter or summer, which is worse?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Couldnae find a 'weather' section so I put it here, I do love talking about weather

Right now I think summer is worse, although I am surviving it quite well, cycle to/from work early/late, staying home today Sunday. I do like to disagree with people who like sunny weather too (curmudgeonly)

Besides, I suspect winter kills more people

Used to suffer doing long rides in summer, now I stay home instead, or do shorter rides, try to do longer rides in autumn

You have one vote, it may be changed

Which do you think is the worst season?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 2 Sep 2020, 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fullupandslowingdown

Re: Winter or summer, which is worse?

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

For me winter is worse because your feet and hands freeze off, and despite it perhaps been raining down hats and clogs, it's difficult to find clothing that keeps you warm and dry, without becoming sweated up within 10 miles.
At least in summer you know you're going to get hot, can take extra water, and a fresh T shirt.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:(snip)
You have one vote, it may be changed

Which do you think is the worst season?

Why put the seasons in to a hierarchy of worth? Each has things about it that are more or less pleasant ... from an entirely personal point of view. Moreover, they are unavoidable unless you wing your way about the planet to always be in one season rather than the other three. Best to just enjoy them all, perhaps.

But if you want to do the hierarchy-of-worth thing, let us compare male hairstyles in Britain of the period 1939 - 2002. Personally I think most of them were not so good, although I yam anti-fashion so I would think that, eh? I do sort of admire the chutzpah required to have a Teddy Boy hairstyle mind.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
whoof

Post by whoof »

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far but still only got to the high 20s. It was also the best day in terms of weather. Did 105 km ride and halfway around a 1 km swim in an open air sea pool.
Unfortunately the temperature has dropped to low twenties today. If the sun comes out this afternoon I might head down to the river on my bike for another swim.

I ride all year around and enjoy it but riding to and from work both ways in the dark, with multiple layers, gloves, over shoes, buffs and hats and at times with super slow studded ice tyres isn't as enjoyable as a ride in shorts, jersey in warm weather.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Winter far worse. There are days when it is dangerous to ride due to ice/snow. It’s usually wet, the roads are wet even if it’s not currently raining. You have to dress up in multiple layers and I’ve yet to find a pair of gloves that keep your hands toasty warm when it’s really cold.

Summer brings its own problems - over heating, excessive sweating, sunburn, but I still much prefer summer cycling. Autumn is probably my favourite time, before it gets too cold you can get some really nice autumn days that are ideal for riding a bike.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I'd rather think about which is better, all seasons are good for cycling.
I won't say, no bad weather, only bad clothing, as I am against cycling in the rain, but isn't it a matter of wearing the right clothes?
I am a bit leery of ice though, as I have had one or two sudden dismounts.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:I'd rather think about which is better, all seasons are good for cycling.
I won't say, no bad weather, only bad clothing, as I am against cycling in the rain, but isn't it a matter of wearing the right clothes?
I am a bit leery of ice though, as I have had one or two sudden dismounts.

Maybe you are right, one could have asked the question 'which is better?', but changing the poll would zero the votes cast so far
I am quite happy to stay home in the summer, but lots of people are not, the road back from the beach is jammed, just heard on the radio :wink:
Autumn is generally the best, Yes-vember is my favourite month
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looks like summer is over, one hopes, only lasted a couple of days :wink:
One hopes winter shall be just as short
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Mid-summer 18 hours of daylight mid-winter 7 hours of daylight do the maths you know it makes sense.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Easy, come to Devon summer all year round :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:Winter far worse. There are days when it is dangerous to ride due to ice/snow. It’s usually wet, the roads are wet even if it’s not currently raining. You have to dress up in multiple layers and I’ve yet to find a pair of gloves that keep your hands toasty warm when it’s really cold.

Ski mittens.

I can ride on ice with spiky tyres. The trouble is it doesn't stop motorists who can't drive on ice, so I'm best off limiting myself to cycleways and low speed limit areas :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxychick wrote:Mid-summer 18 hours of daylight mid-winter 7 hours of daylight do the maths you know it makes sense.

18+7/2=12.5
Spring and autumn are best, they are the main seasons here fortunately :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Winter is horrible.
Wet, damp, cold, dark mornings and evenings, frost, snow, sleet, horrible.

Summer is dry, warm, gentle, balmy, long days, wonderful.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mjr wrote:
TrevA wrote:Winter far worse. There are days when it is dangerous to ride due to ice/snow. It’s usually wet, the roads are wet even if it’s not currently raining. You have to dress up in multiple layers and I’ve yet to find a pair of gloves that keep your hands toasty warm when it’s really cold.

Ski mittens.

I can ride on ice with spiky tyres. The trouble is it doesn't stop motorists who can't drive on ice, so I'm best off limiting myself to cycleways and low speed limit areas :(

To be fair, there aren’t that many days when it’s dangerous, and I find you can still ride mostly if you stick to gritted roads. Round here, the council grit the rural bus routes, so you can string a reasonable route together. Snow usually stops me though, thankfully it’s quite rare nowadays.

Yes, I have some ski mittens but they are not the best for braking and changing gear.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

worse than what?

I've had awful weather in all seasons as well as brilliant.

For example, on Christmas Day 2018 I was riding in brilliant sunshine in Austria and Switzerland but I've had snow and freezing temperatures in August. I might ride faster in the summer but I enjoy crisp winter days just as much and enduring low temperatures is just a case of dressing right.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!