Marathon HS368 1.75" 26" THAT SIZE NOW SOLD OUT OTHERS STILL AVAILABLE

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Marathon HS368 1.75" 26" THAT SIZE NOW SOLD OUT OTHERS STILL AVAILABLE

Post by mercalia »

Seems like Spa cycles have some going at the cheap price of just £6. These are the ones that came before the current Greenguard ones, and unlike those have a Kevlar belt for protection.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s142p10 ... thon-HS368
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Jul 2019, 9:15am, edited 2 times in total.
Si

Re: Marathon HS368 1.75" 26"

Post by Si »

Good spot...also seem to be in brompton size too.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

by the way these have a better track for a bottle dyno than the Greenguard ones in my opinion
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Sorry to be a killjoy but I would be wary of K-Guard. It sounds good - Kevlar - high-tec - but it's quite well below RaceGuard, the next step up in Schwalbe's pecking order, by some way, IME, in puncture protection.

I got 55 mm Big Apples with K-Guard for a steal at SJS and I had more punctures with them than any other tyre I've ever run. To be fair I use a (purpose-built) cycle path between the village and the town which is bordered by a hawthorn hedge. The contractor who cuts the hedge for the farmers cuts the hedge throughout the winter in dribs and drabs and never sweeps up the cuttings, and as it's a cycle path there are no motor vehicles to 'pick up' the cuttings.

However, last year I replaced the K-Guard Big Apples with 50 mm Raceguard Big Apples, albeit for more money, and - touch wood - haven't had a puncture since, even though the bike was ridden right through the hedge-cutting season.

You can't go wrong with these HS368s price-wise as long as you're willing to repair punctures (I got to be an expert!),and quite possibly you won't have the local 'issues' I had (and others' experiences may vary, of course), but maybe you pays your money, etc...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kylecycler wrote:Sorry to be a killjoy but I would be wary of K-Guard. It sounds good - Kevlar - high-tec - but it's quite well below RaceGuard, the next step up in Schwalbe's pecking order, by some way, IME, in puncture protection.

I got 55 mm Big Apples with K-Guard for a steal at SJS and I had more punctures with them than any other tyre I've ever run. To be fair I use a (purpose-built) cycle path between the village and the town which is bordered by a hawthorn hedge. The contractor who cuts the hedge for the farmers cuts the hedge throughout the winter in dribs and drabs and never sweeps up the cuttings, and as it's a cycle path there are no motor vehicles to 'pick up' the cuttings.

However, last year I replaced the K-Guard Big Apples with 50 mm Raceguard Big Apples, albeit for more money, and - touch wood - haven't had a puncture since, even though the bike was ridden right through the hedge-cutting season.

You can't go wrong with these HS368s price-wise as long as you're willing to repair punctures (I got to be an expert!),and quite possibly you won't have the local 'issues' I had (and others' experiences may vary, of course), but maybe you pays your money, etc...

well your situation is special. I have used the HS368 for some time and have had few punctures ( in London ). I have a rear Greenguard one that picked up a piece of barbed wire went right through, few tyres can handle that and I doubt any of the Marathon range could.

£6 for a good longevity tyre is a steal. I do think the belt you have in the Greenguard tyres is the way to go, is like a tyre liner but they are 3 times the price.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Fair enough. 'Special' is the polite word for my situation. The cycle path has been there for about five years now and the problem hasn't been resolved. We need to trace/collar the tractor driver who cuts the hedges but that hasn't happened yet, then if he won't see about sweeping up the thorns, the local parks department can send someone up with a leaf blower, or whatever - they just need to coordinate somehow. I think I was just lucky last winter. :(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kylecycler wrote:Fair enough. 'Special' is the polite word for my situation. The cycle path has been there for about five years now and the problem hasn't been resolved. We need to trace/collar the tractor driver who cuts the hedges but that hasn't happened yet, then if he won't see about sweeping up the thorns, the local parks department can send someone up with a leaf blower, or whatever - they just need to coordinate somehow. I think I was just lucky last winter. :(

By the way I assume you take a look at the tyres after riding thru the debris? DO you notice thorns sticking in the tyres or ruptures where they tried?

I might add I have used these HS368 Marathons on rough stone strewn dirt tracks in and around London and have taken a lot of punishment so they are not also rans.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I think I probably just avoided the cycle path more this year - there are alternatives, although they're longer and hillier, but I still used it fairly often, ran into thorns if I didn't see them soon enough and pulled them out before they penetrated. Previously by that time it was already too late - that seems to be the difference between K-Guard and RaceGuard.

Trouble is, if I take to the busy 60 mph single carriageway the cycle path borders, I get drivers blasting the horn and close passes - they don't understand why I'm riding on the road when I 'should' be using the cycle path.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the tip mercalia, I just added a pair to a Spa order.
When did they stop making these HS368's 2011 ? Worth a try at that price anyway, bearing this in mind.
I do like the current Greenguard Marathon HS420 though,they seem to cope well with all the glass on the cycle paths around here, I do wonder if Marathon +'s are a puncture proof tyre too far ?
I ordered a set of Schwalbe tyre levers for the workshop at the same time, but oh the irony, Schwalbe have changed the design to include a 'third hand feature', I liked the old design, they were an effective and durable lever...Link to the new lever.... Schwalbe do seem to like changing things don't they ?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b6s72p104 ... yre-Levers
Last edited by colin54 on 7 Jul 2019, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

colin54 wrote:Thanks for the tip mercalia, I just added a pair to a Spa order.
When did they stop making these HS368's 2011 ? Worth a try at that price anyway, bearing this in mind.
I like do like the current Greenguard Marathon HS420 though,they seem to cope well with all the glass on the cycle paths around here, I do wonder if Marathon +'s are a puncture proof tyre too far ?
I ordered a set of Schwalbe tyre levers for the workshop at the same time, but oh the irony, Schwalbe have changed the design to include a 'third hand feature', I liked the old design, they were an effective and durable lever...Link to the new lever.... Schwalbe do seem to like changing things don't they ?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b6s72p104 ... yre-Levers

well report back what condition they are in. Shouldbe ok I have some of the same stored and they dont seem to have gone wrong. I have a City Marathon from must be 20 years ago now, the 1-Down came with them and that is still in good condition. I only keep it as a longevity test. I think HS420 were brought out with Ebikes in mind?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

mercalia wrote:
well report back what condition they are in.

Will do.
Nu-Fogey
mercalia

Re: Marathon HS368 1.75" 26" THAT SIZE NOW SOLD OUT

Post by mercalia »

seems like the 26" 1.75" now sold out. Not surprised as at £6 a very good bargain. I wonder how many they had?
colin54

Re: Marathon HS368 1.75" 26" THAT SIZE NOW SOLD OUT

Post by colin54 »

Mine just arrived, they look like they just came out of the mould, perfect, thanks again mercalia.
Nu-Fogey