Wandering dog encounters - on and off the lead

skyhawk

Wandering dog encounters - on and off the lead

Post by skyhawk »

Or not whatever the case.

Having just returned to cycling my main fear is coming off, at 61 I am not old but not a teenager.

We are using the Swansea (will find more) coast path, nice cafe and sun, oh also Anglesea by the coast LOVELY places, so clean and tidy.

However already I have had a bust up with a tourist from Devon who without warning allowed her dog full run of the 30' lead, her reply was, bloody cyclists how dare you endanger my dog.

She was walking in the direction I was travelling so had no idea of cyclist coming from behind. Thankfully as with driving I missed it as anyone knows you are always ready for the other person to do something stupid, but it was close.

"We have no trouble on Devon cycle paths where I live, cyclists show more care and consideration"

From today camera on helmet, are there any rules on cycle paths, I have emailed the Council to ask but these days you never ever see dog wardens etc.
Last edited by Graham on 9 Jul 2019, 8:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
DaveReading

Re: I have no idea where to post this - dogs on leads

Post by DaveReading »

skyhawk wrote:She was walking in the direction I was travelling so had no idea of cyclist coming from behind.

Could you not have found a way to make her aware of that fact ?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

skyhawk wrote:From today camera on helmet, .

Not a good idea put it on your handle bars
As for the dog lead, I wish they would ban then as the said dog is not under control, a couple of years back I saw a dog on the pavement and a women on the other side of the road, what I didn't see straight away was said dog was on a lead, I gave her a mouthful, but as usual she said “I shouldn't have been going so fast”.
I would like yo know how one could get them banned, but it seems 99% of dog owners use them, maybe someone has to be killed first.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Does nobody live and let live any more, accepting we are all fallible to a degree and making allowances accordingly?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes I do, have lots of friendly econcounters with dog-persons when cycling slowly :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You are an example to us all.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote:Does nobody live and let live any more, accepting we are all fallible to a degree and making allowances accordingly?

Well, some lads don't. Some lads seem to enjoy having a problem, a confrontation and then a self-righteous moan. Some lads seem to feel they are the centre of the universe. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

yakdiver wrote:
skyhawk wrote:From today camera on helmet, .

Not a good idea put it on your handle bars
As for the dog lead, I wish they would ban then as the said dog is not under control, a couple of years back I saw a dog on the pavement and a women on the other side of the road, what I didn't see straight away was said dog was on a lead, I gave her a mouthful, but as usual she said “I shouldn't have been going so fast”.
I would like yo know how one could get them banned, but it seems 99% of dog owners use them, maybe someone has to be killed first.

I don't blame every dog owner but I am 100% in agreeance, that these retractable leeds need to be used with a brain.

As I say I am a slow, 60+ rider, actually I hit 12mph the other day................ and I think ahead, but accidents happen

I lived in Cornwall, and the number of dog owners who ignored and flaunted the dog bans on beaches in summer amazed me, 99% locals, lets face it, not everyone wants other people's dogs either, my autistic son is scared of dogs, we all need to consider others
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A cyclist coming up on pedestrians from behind, with or without dogs, has a role as a responsible person to make their presence known. Did the ped know you were coming? Could it realistically be a quiet stretch that they'd never had issues letting the dog out on a long retractable lead? Try to look at things from other's pov. It might help with how you deal with more vulnerable road / path users.

Remember that, peds are more vulnerable than cyclists. Even dogs are although they present enough of their own problems.

Personally as a dog owner I never use those wretched devices. I have never had any intention to. I own an 8m length of rope with a knot in for a lead length handle when the rope is direct tied onto the dog harness. I use that when needed and can control the length if rope I let out when it's not needed to hold my dog in close. Personally I believe a lead length should not be so long it can cross into a road.

Not all dog owners want their dog to inconvenience you in any way unless you show interest in that. If you call my dog over to say hello she will say hello. That will involve a bit of jumping up and possibly slavering. Possibly an attempt at cuteness. More often she'll ignore you and be more interested in scents. Terrier trait.

Anyway two sides always.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Coming up behind dog walkers with or without leads on the animal I slow and ring my bell, if they don't appear to have heard me (i.e their body language hasn't changed or they've not turned around) I slow more and either ring the bell again or say on your left or right as I get close, being ready to stop if necessary. If the dog is in front, off of the lead I give it a whistle so it's not surprised as I go past,I might do that a couple of times if it's in the distance smelling something interesting off of the path.I find if the winds against people often don't hear you, or if they're in conversation, deaf or hard of hearing or have headphones on. I always thank them. If someone's walking multiple dogs coming the other way or have a dog and a pram etc I just stop and wave them on, it's easier for me than them and they are normally appreciative in my experience.
This is on a shared towpath normally, where people walking have right of way over bicycles I believe.
There are plenty of previous threads on this subject on the forum, just Google 'Dogs on path cuk forum', easier than looking on the forum search facility, it's worth doing this for any subject by the way.
Here's one from that search, there are plenty of others, it's a common subject.
I hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?t=104716
Nu-Fogey
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

DaveReading wrote:
skyhawk wrote:She was walking in the direction I was travelling so had no idea of cyclist coming from behind.

Could you not have found a way to make her aware of that fact ?

Evidently not ...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When approaching a PwD person with dog from behind I move over to the left or right as appropriate and ring my bell in a friendly way so they may locate me without looking
Of course one goes slowly and is prepared to stop if necessary

Much of this applies to free-range children too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Of course one goes slowly and is prepared to stop if necessary

IME, this ^^ Even when the dog owner is aware of cyclists they frequently fail to lock the lead and get the dog under control as you pass. Anything can happen :D
No, it isn't fair, but then life isn't :roll:
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Tangled Metal

Re: Wandering dog encounters - on and off the lead

Post by Tangled Metal »

Nothing really unfair about it unless you have the perception of entitlement to put others perhaps and potentially yourself at risk. Ride to the conditions and environment. It's simple. Annoying perhaps but not unfair. It's what we expect but don't really get from motorists.

Be better than motons! :D
Spinners

Re: Wandering dog encounters - on and off the lead

Post by Spinners »

I ride on that shared use path in Swansea once or twice a week in a small group and 99% of the pedestrians are excellent at keeping to their side. The remaining 1% get a friendly bell from our ride leader well in advance of when we reach them and it's surprising how many apologies we get - fair play! Contrast this with the surly nature of some of the other cyclists coming the other way who think it's a jousting match and go beserk when we ask them to keep left. Our ride leader tried to warn one oncoming chap about soft sand on the bike path and was greeted with a friendly "fxxx off".

And don't get me started of their entire inability to respond to a wave or a good morning :?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)