Garmin or Wahoo ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cotswoldstraggler

Garmin or Wahoo ?

Post by Cotswoldstraggler »

Morning, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this, but looking at upgrading my computer, and I'm leaning towards a wahoo element over the garmin 520 Plus. I'm more of a 20 mile evening/weekend ride with the sportive chucked in every now and then. I've read lots of reviews, but you never know nowadays how true these reviews are! Any advice would be great
De Sisti

Re: Garmin or Wahoo ?

Post by De Sisti »

Both brands are good. Many people are happy using either brands.
Syd

Garmin or Wahoo ?

Post by Syd »

I have both brands and prefer my Garmin.

Things like confirmation of GPS fix and ant sensor connections as well as low battery alerts in accessories are features I like which are missing on the Wahoo devices.

GPS fix is almost instant on my Garmin and, by the time I’ve stopped my ride at the front door, it has uploaded to Strava via WiFi by the time I unlock said door.
Last edited by Syd on 7 Jul 2019, 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I’ve just moved from Garmin to Wahoo and would not go back.

It uploads instantly, has better battery, it just works better. Also, it’s simple to plot a route on your phone or iPad, the instant you click save on Starva it’s on your Wahoo!
althebike

Post by althebike »

I agree with everything hotlips mentions. I moved from Garmin to Wahoo.The garmin had better displays, maps easier to read and so on, and the pair I had both worked brilliantly for a while ,then they did'nt. Wahoo does everything , long battery life and much more stability.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Sorry softlips, I just realised my typo
sylvestermorgan

Post by sylvestermorgan »

Okay, to deepen the debate, is there any reason why I should buy the more expensive Wahoo Elemnt over the Elemnt Bolt? What's the difference, apart from size?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

softlips wrote:I’ve just moved from Garmin to Wahoo and would not go back.

It uploads instantly, has better battery, it just works better. Also, it’s simple to plot a route on your phone or iPad, the instant you click save on Starva it’s on your Wahoo!

+1. The Wahoo looks a bit 1990s but mine at least works great, especially the integration with phones, strava etc. It's nice to have your ride to look at automatically on your phone or ipad while you recover with a cup of tea. At around £200 I am prepared to leave it on the bike outside cafes most of the time whereas the Garmins with more functionality and cost would make me more nervous. The battery life is also excellent. That said, I have heard good things about the new generation of Garmins eg 830 and 1030 although they are a different price point.

I have the Bolt and it does pretty much everything I need just on a smaller screen.
scottg

Post by scottg »

sylvestermorgan wrote:Okay, to deepen the debate, is there any reason why I should buy the more expensive Wahoo Element over the Element Bolt? What's the difference, apart from size?

The Element and Bolt run the same software, the Element will go away once the Roam gets an
updated mount and software.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Road Cycling Serbia

Post by Road Cycling Serbia »

I had the same question Wahoo or Garmin hmmm.
After few videos with reviews and forums i took Edge 130 and I think I did not make a mistake when choose Garmin.
dim

Post by dim »

I'm planning a fishing/wild camping cycling tour in Ireland and my Garmin Edge 1000 is starting to play up (could be the new software release that I've uploaded).... on some days it struggles to find the sattelites

so, I'm looking for a second unit as a backup. I'm in 2 minds as to what to buy, but have narrowed it down to the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt or the new Garmin Edge 530

I have a few questions as regards the Wahoo ....

if I plan a route on RideWithGPS on my computer, can I download the route to the Wahoo with a cable connected to my computer or do I have to use my phone to download it? .... same applies to my rides.... do I have to upload to Strava using WiFi and my phone or can I download it with a cable connected to my computer and Strava?

when using the Wahoo, is it always connected to the phone (some places have very poor phone signal)

most probably stupid questions, but I have not found the answers yet :oops:
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

dim wrote:

if I plan a route on RideWithGPS on my computer, can I download the route to the Wahoo with a cable connected to my computer or do I have to use my phone to download it? .... same applies to my rides.... do I have to upload to Strava using WiFi and my phone or can I download it with a cable connected to my computer and Strava?

Link your RWGPS account with your Wahoo app at first and then every saved RWGPS route is automatically transferred to your unit. It's automatic.
But you can also connect your phone directly to your PC and transfer over a USB cable. (Can also be done from a phone (android)- a little trickier, but possible).
Just tested making a test route in RWGPS. Phone was off. Switched on Wahoo & selected Sync. Route is on the unit.

dim wrote:when using the Wahoo, is it always connected to the phone (some places have very poor phone signal)

Not at all. You can for receiving text messages etc but it is not necessary.

dim wrote:most probably stupid questions, but I have not found the answers yet :oops:

No such thing as stupid questions.

FYI my Elemnt works flawlessly with both my Shimano & Son Dynohubs using a Cycle2Charge unit. My Garmin Touring unit did not.
dim

Post by dim »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
dim wrote:

Link your RWGPS account with your Wahoo app at first and then every saved RWGPS route is automatically transferred to your unit. It's automatic.
But you can also connect your phone directly to your PC and transfer over a USB cable. (Can also be done from a phone (android)- a little trickier, but possible).
Just tested making a test route in RWGPS. Phone was off. Switched on Wahoo & selected Sync. Route is on the unit.

dim wrote:when using the Wahoo, is it always connected to the phone (some places have very poor phone signal)

Not at all. You can for receiving text messages etc but it is not necessary.

dim wrote:most probably stupid questions, but I have not found the answers yet :oops:

No such thing as stupid questions.

FYI my Elemnt works flawlessly with both my Shimano & Son Dynohubs using a Cycle2Charge unit. My Garmin Touring unit did not.

Brilliant . Thank You!!
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

dim wrote:
Brilliant . Thank You!!

No problem.
I'm not so sure about Strava but as far as I am aware once the ride is finished the data is stored until such time as your unit accesses your home wifi or your phone is online.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
dim wrote:

Just to clarify that a bit: The Elemnt can connect to a wifi service and synchronise routes and rides automatically over the Internet. However to set up that wifi connection in the first place, you do need to use the phone app.

Once you've used the app to tell the Element about a wifi network (what it's called, what the passcode is) the phone isn't needed for future connections. The Elemnt will recognise any wifi service it's been told about and connect to it automatically.

Mine usually uploads my ride to Strava via the home wifi network before I've finished putting the bike away. (Ditto for the wifi at my local pub, where the Strava results normally come up while we're still ordering the post-ride beers.)

One limitation is that it can't connect to any public wifi network that forces you to go to a "welcome" screen in your web browser before you can use it (you know, the kind where you have to fill in your email address and tick boxes) - but there is a workaround for that.