John's LEJOG 2019 route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Raggleswoodlucy

Re: John's LEJOG 2019 route

Post by Raggleswoodlucy »

Mick F wrote:
nick12 wrote:Im also planing to do the north coast of cornwall starting this weekend. LE ,st just,st ives, newquay to padstow. I guess there are plenty of hills along that route and it will be scenic. I notice that cycle travel takes a more inland route between these locations which I presume to be a much easier route and an alternative if the going gets tough. Im planning on doing bodmin moor dartmoor and exmoor too.
Sorry for the thread hijack but im interested to hear what mick says knowing thats his patch.
The coast road is wonderful.
Done it all, but it's hard work indeed especially if you don't have a favourable wind.

The highlight of the coast is from LE round to St Ives. Hilly and very dramatic. I'll be doing it again later this summer.

Padstow going north entails a ferry (or you go round). Last time I took the ferry, the tide was way out and that meant I had to walk up the sandy beach to Rock on the north side. Not good for a bike, and not good your precious cycling shoes ........ so I took mine off!

Good luck, and enjoy! :D

We have put the Newquay road to padstow into our route, we regularly go to Rock and Padstow, so will look forward to going over the foot ferry for a pint at the Rock inn before finishing our first day in Delabole.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah! Delabole.
Smugglers chippy, and the Bettle and Chisel pub. :D
http://www.bettleandchisel.co.uk
There's the Poldark Inn nearby too.

My first trips into Delabole was soon after leaving the RN. I had a part time job driving a delivery van to all the garages and body-shops within 50miles of here. Luggs Garage and Atlantic Motors were my calling off points in Delabole. Did a few drops in Camelford, Tintagel, Boscastle and Otterham too. I enjoyed that job and stayed with them for five or six years.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Set by now two of you have done on the north coast of Cornwall?
Even though I will be attending this anticlockwise, how did you get on?
Maybe I'm too early :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Sorry to be another to hijack the thread, but all this talk of riding the coast road reminds me that hiking the SW Coast Trail is on my radar for one day soon.

Ken.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Walking the coast path Devon in Cornwall.
I've done quite a bit of it in Devon, some of the hills on the footpaths Are so steep you will need your hands as well :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I did the north coast from LE to padstow and the ferry to rock before heading inland.
I found the first part to be the most scenic, and the stone houses covered in fossils were just fantastic. Its pretty much up and down the Whole way but nothing too hard, I still had 2 gears to playwith, most of the climbs were short. The weather wasnt the best for my tour but it was still a good ride.
Had a broken pole on my tent on bodmin moor and had to repitch at 11pm so as not to flood. Lucky i did 3" of water in my first pitch. Tent pole mended at bude then followed ncn 3 pretty much all the way to bristol which was a nice route and enjoyable.
Never did get a cornish pasty too expensive on my budget.
Hope you have a good ride Natural ankling.
Raggleswoodlucy

charliepolecat wrote:Sorry to be another to hijack the thread, but all this talk of riding the coast road reminds me that hiking the SW Coast Trail is on my radar for one day soon.

Ken.

We also have that on our radar, especially after reading The Salt Path
Raggleswoodlucy

Mick F wrote:Ah! Delabole.
Smugglers chippy, and the Bettle and Chisel pub. :D
http://www.bettleandchisel.co.uk
There's the Poldark Inn nearby too.

My first trips into Delabole was soon after leaving the RN. I had a part time job driving a delivery van to all the garages and body-shops within 50miles of here. Luggs Garage and Atlantic Motors were my calling off points in Delabole. Did a few drops in Camelford, Tintagel, Boscastle and Otterham too. I enjoyed that job and stayed with them for five or six years.

We are lucky in that one of friends moved down there last year, so will stay with them. I often ride up to delabole and have wondered about the chippy and pub!