Tent and sleeping bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Komet

Tent and sleeping bag

Post by Komet »

What are your suggestions for a tent and sleeping bag for touring Wales and Scotland year round? I'm on a budget but interested to know your thoughts.
Thehairs1970

Re: Tent and sleeping bag

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Vango for tent. Good range. Should be able to find something. Invest more in your sleeping bag. I own a Snugpak which I've had for 20 years and it's still good.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Komet wrote:What are your suggestions for a tent and sleeping bag for touring Wales and Scotland year round? I'm on a budget but interested to know your thoughts.

It might be useful to know what the budget is.
With regards to sleeping bags I wouldn't use the same sleeping bag in summer as I would in winter.
Komet

Post by Komet »

About £300 I'm just starting out.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If you're just starting out then winter in Scotland is not something I'd suggest at this point. While good kit is important, successful winter camping is a lot about management and you get to learn that by doing it (mainly in summer, when the mistakes don't matter so much). I'd also concur with not using the same sleeping bag for everything, so start with a summer bag.

I think the best way to choose a tent is to crawl around inside pitched examples, and this time of year tent shows aren't too hard to find, or retailers willing to put up examples for you. Have you got enough room to sit up and lie down comfortably? Is there enough room for your stuff, can you imagine being stuck in there for a day where it's sheeting it down?
Once you have something that seems broadly okay, then look at weight, bulk and price. Will it go on your bike okay, can you afford it?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Komet wrote:What are your suggestions for a tent and sleeping bag for touring Wales and Scotland year round? I'm on a budget but interested to know your thoughts.

My thought would be WHY!!...I am in my 50s,,,just returned from camping in Brecon,with car and bike.2 man tent,lovely weather,lovely campsite,best bit by far £14 per night.I find,with camping, if Everything,,ie site,weather, lack of noise etc is ok then it is do able, otherwise it is a pain...Even with £300 sleeping bag expensive airbed and expensive tent.I suppose if hotels are not an option,,one is younger etc,,,or one is on the road for weeks and you "get into it".....then possible....But then,,Wales,,Scotland in winter I cannot ever imagine being up for that..But hey,,,each to their own.ps ...was very impressed by the Brecon area for road or mountain biking...The lake district without the mad traffic and crowds
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

durhambiker wrote:My thought would be WHY!!...I am in my 50s,,, <snip>

It depends why want to camp. If you see it as just a downmarket B&B option then it's pretty much going to be dreadful, but if you see it as an option to be in some truly wild places then suddenly adventures get a bit more... adventurous.

I can have a conmfortable bed, warm shower etc. most nights at home, so whe I'm off wanting something a bit different then this sort of thing...

beats a B&B. And I'm in my 50s, btw

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

pjclinch wrote:

It depends why want to camp. If you see it as just a downmarket B&B option then it's pretty much going to be dreadful, but if you see it as an option to be in some truly wild places then suddenly adventures get a bit more... adventurous.

I can have a conmfortable bed, warm shower etc. most nights at home, so whe I'm off wanting something a bit different then this sort of thing...

Pete.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but this company is very well regarded and is a great excuse for a trip to the lake district if you like to see it first. https://www.alpkit.com/featured/tents
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

Nice pic Pete!

I find Durhambiker's post quite bizarre.

Why go outside? you'll get cold and wet!!
Why ride a bike? Cars are so much faster! (and see above)
why holiday in the UK? spain is so much warmer!

etc ... ad nauseum ...
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I'll find a nice light tent that I like.
Then see if the sell the same design in a heavier weight under a different brand name.
Something like Terra Nova Laser -> Wild Country Zephyros.
It may be a kilo or so heavier but it's also around 1/3 the price.

As for sleeping bags, I use two of different weights.
That way I can mix and match as the temperature cools.
2 season -> 3 season -> both together -> plus all my clothes.
That gets me comfortably down to around -5C.

If you do go winter camping, make sure you've plenty of books loaded onto a kindle.
You could well end up reading 12 hours a day ......... :lol:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tigerbiten wrote:
If you do go winter camping, make sure you've plenty of books loaded onto a kindle.
You could well end up reading 12 hours a day ......... :lol:

Top tip - in fact i am rather looking forward to doing this.
I too by the way found durhambiker's post somewhat odd.
Some folk like camping, see it as a positive.
Sweep
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

My wife brought my daughter one of these for £50 to go on a school camp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1SKG4S/ ... hDb99PNJSM

I noticed that millets have them for £50 also sleeping bag on offer too.

I would suggest getting a season higher than you think you might camp in so that your warm you can always unzip the bag.

A higher priced bag will reduce the weight.

Cheers James
Komet

Post by Komet »

Great reply and photos thanks. I'm not planning just winter trips but thought I would mention it anyway. I lived in the west Highlands for 10 years working outside so am well aware of what conditions can be like. I will keep saving and looking.
whoof

Post by whoof »

This is someone I know who can't wait for it to snow so he can go camping.
I like the second picture but I don't think I'll be joining him.
http://timtaphouse.com/blog/20180401-Ba ... wdonia.php
I've also bought some good stuff from Alpkit
This is a little heavier than some but you could do a lot worse.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/tetri