Give up flying?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Re: In-flight meals and veggie options?

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:
Si wrote:They should just serve vegan meals to all, then everyone can eat whatever is on offer. Problem solved.
Good idea!

I don't like being squeezed into a cigar tube with hundreds of people. In my Utopian vision of air travel, we would all be anaesthetised and lain on racks, to be resurrected at the other end of the journey. No food required, no toilets, no stewardesses. No crying and moaning children, no inane chatter. Bliss!

I’ll just leave this here

https://patient.info/doctor/important-c ... naesthesia
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
Si wrote:They should just serve vegan meals to all, then everyone can eat whatever is on offer. Problem solved.
Good idea!

I don't like being squeezed into a cigar tube with hundreds of people. In my Utopian vision of air travel, we would all be anaesthetised and lain on racks, to be resurrected at the other end of the journey. No food required, no toilets, no stewardesses. No crying and moaning children, no inane chatter. Bliss!

Scotty beam me up
Actually travelling by the Night Scotsperson is almost what you describe
Porridge might be ideal to eat when flying :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Scotty beam me up
Sometimes even that doesn't quite go as planned...
0216ag00.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:
I don't like being squeezed into a cigar tube with hundreds of people.

Apart from the food and drink there is a great resemblance between air travel and bus travel.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Good idea!

I’ll just leave this here

https://patient.info/doctor/important-c ... naesthesia
It'll sort out the wheat from the chaff? :wink:
Might put a few off travelling by air maybe.
Mick F. Cornwall
John100

Post by John100 »

Try getting a gluten free meal without pre-ordreing. Even when you do, they mess it up and admit they have (Emirates supposedly one of the better airlines). Never mind here's a lovely plate of lettuce, which needs more calories to eat than it gives. Vegetarianism / veganism are life style choices. You won't become ill of you eat a piece of meat. You will if you eat gluten and are a coeliac!
mjr

Post by mjr »

John100 wrote:Vegetarianism / veganism are life style choices. You won't become ill of you eat a piece of meat. You will if you eat gluten and are a coeliac!

Before repeating that clueless remark, I suggest looking up Alpha-gal Allergy and remembering that there are some people going low-gluten as a lifestyle choice. (I realise sufferers can still eat poultry and some game, but try getting that one through an airline meal order system!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

John100 wrote:You won't become ill of you eat a piece of meat.
Maybe not, but you will if you eat too much of it. Furthermore, Planet Earth will get very ill (indeed, it already is quite 'ill') if too many people eat too much meat. That's an established fact.

I don't call renouncing meat a 'lifestyle' choice - sorry!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yeah, eating meat is worse for the planet than taking long haul flights, meat eaters do it all the time. Almost everyone in the third world wants a car, to eat more meat, and to fly to distant places, and generally, they dont know anything about climate change or care a jot about it. The human race is doomed!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Never flown longhaul so my policy of never eating airline food carp has never been tested by hunger.
However to the op my view is pre-book. What's so hard with that?

You'd be annoyed being a veggie/vegan and omnivore had eaten yours. Pre booking sorts that out and is fairer. You have a choice to book but a system without pre-booking takes choice away.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Would airlines allow you to take your own picnic for in flight consumption?
I don't fly but I understand there is a problem with carrying liquids on board. Would a scotch egg be suspected of possibly exploding?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mike Sales wrote:Would airlines allow you to take your own picnic for in flight consumption?
I don't fly but I understand there is a problem with carrying liquids on board. Would a scotch egg be suspected of possibly exploding?

With the exception of a drink in my experience, yes, you can take your own stuff. Your drink should be purchased air side of security. You have to be mindful of fruit etc because many countries ban the import of it. My wife fell foul of it once trying to take a banana into Chile. The airport dog got very excited. You can look at what's offered and decide whether to eat theirs or what you brought with you. I have often been delighted or disgusted with what airlines serve up. A Virgin flight to India where many vegetarian Hindus were only given the offer of meat made me vow never to fly with them again. BA are always poor and often run out of meals.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Yeah, eating meat is worse for the planet than taking long haul flights
You'll no doubt be chuffed to have 'caught us out' there! Yes you're quite right: I don't like the idea of long-haul flights either; we admitted to having booked this trip, at a meeting with our fellow local Greens. Everyone reassured us, even fully committed Greens 'break the rules' sometimes! But after our experiences this time, we've already resolved: no more long-hauls for us! Not to make me feel smug - merely because I hate airports, I hate 'security' scans, I hate jetlag, I hate everything about flying except the actual flying itself (which doesn't bother me).

Which is why - if we ever contemplate a return trip to our relatives in the USA (once a certain orange creature has hopefully been booted out) - I'm looking into surface travel alternatives. How environmentally-damaging is sea transport (think of all the diesel!)? Can we afford it, I'm thinking? Time isn't a problem since we're retired.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:My wife fell foul of it once trying to take a banana into Chile.
This happened to one of our companions who landed in Peru with an apple in his suitcase. Yes the airport dog sniffed it out! The passenger fished out the apple, apologetically, and started to eat it on the spot. At that the guard got even more agitated: "¡No no. Es prohibido!" One wasn't even allowed to eat the apple!

I should explain, before anyone asks, that our fellow-traveller wasn't naked, and there was no serpent nearby.... :lol:
Syd

Post by Syd »

661-Pete wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:My wife fell foul of it once trying to take a banana into Chile.
This happened to one of our companions who landed in Peru with an apple in his suitcase. Yes the airport dog sniffed it out! The passenger fished out the apple, apologetically, and started to eat it on the spot. At that the guard got even more agitated: "¡No no. Es prohibido!" One wasn't even allowed to eat the apple!

I should explain, before anyone asks, that our fellow-traveller wasn't naked, and there was no serpent nearby.... :lol:

Landing by ship in Puerto Rico the passengers in front on us were stopped and had an apple taken from them. My wife was allowed through with her banana.

It seems that, as a banana plant can’t be grown from a discarded banana whereas an apple tree can grow from a discarded apple, they don’t have an issue with the former.