Idiots on 'phones

fastpedaller

Idiots on 'phones

Post by fastpedaller »

Here's a link to a report about a tractor driver texting whilst driving on an A road

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/poli ... -1-6149607

If the report is to be believed he was only 'given a warning'
I've emailed the Police Commissioner for Norfolk asking why he wasn't charged, and whether the officers are being sent for further training?
We'll await the answer.
kwackers

Re: Idiots on 'phones

Post by kwackers »

I had to shout at a cyclist heading towards me, hands free (the bars not the phone) and drifting across the centre of the road into my path.

If it were the only time I'd write it off but I reckon I see at least one cyclist a day in similar circumstances (usually on their own side though).

I do worry about the addiction to mobile phones, peds, cyclists, car drivers, lorry drivers.
I've noticed car drivers travelling along now trying to appear to be looking forward whilst contorting their faces as they read their social media posts.
Presumably they think it's not obvious what they're doing? Although whether it's obvious enough to convict is another question.
andrec

Post by andrec »

We should be treating constant mobile phone use as an addiction, a medical problem which must be reported to DVLA and which means cancellation of a person's driving licence. One conviction for phone use while driving should be enough for this. I see no reason for us to take the risk of ever allowing the convict back behind a wheel again.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

kwackers wrote:I had to shout at a cyclist heading towards me, hands free (the bars not the phone) and drifting across the centre of the road into my path.

If it were the only time I'd write it off but I reckon I see at least one cyclist a day in similar circumstances (usually on their own side though).

I agree, they are also a hazard, but mainly to themselves? maybe 30 + Tonne of Tractor and trailer is MURDER waiting to happen, and it appears the Police didn't charge him!
I've had a response from PCC's office - they want permission to 'process my personal data' - so I'm now the marked man :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I see horse riders doing it reasonably frequently around here.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

I have no problem with any road user on the phone I just send my dashcam to operation SNAP in wales and report them
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bonefishblues wrote:I see horse riders doing it reasonably frequently around here.

Horses are the equivalent of 'self driving cars' though. :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I see horse riders doing it reasonably frequently around here.

Completely autonomous as far as I can see!

We have lots hereabouts and almost without exception they are immaculately behaved, including when being lead by another rider transiting between stables, fields etc. Hugely capable riders though, a world away from the hi-viz jacketed more occasional riders we see occasionally.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:

Please, horses are much more intelligent and know the way home :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

fastpedaller wrote:Here's a link to a report about a tractor driver texting whilst driving on an A road

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/poli ... -1-6149607

If the report is to be believed he was only 'given a warning'
I've emailed the Police Commissioner for Norfolk asking why he wasn't charged, and whether the officers are being sent for further training?
We'll await the answer.

A quick response from the Police, stating "The offending driver was issued with a traffic offence report". I believe this means he was given the option of a driver awareness course or a fine. So some action taken that wasn't made clear by the press article. Given the potential seriousness of a huge load (5Tonne -30Tonne combined weight of tractor/trailer) I personally think it warrants (no pun intended) a far greater penalty than the driver of a car would similarly receive.
Last edited by fastpedaller on 13 Jul 2019, 9:30am, edited 2 times in total.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Inadequate reporting by the Eastern Daily Press